Another wiring problem

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Grandpa Don, Jun 10, 2021 at 7:09 PM.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

In preparation for an up coming camping trip, my son was installing a back-up camera on his slide-in pickup camper. After he installed it, he could not make the camera work. So he called good old Dad! He was wiring it into the power source for his clearance lights. He said that the lights were on, but not very bright. I had him test the voltage at the light he was trying to connect to. It read 3.8 vdc. I have seen this several times on other campers. I told him that he had a bad connection somewhere on the line. Either a loose wire, or corrosion. He spent several hours tracing down the wires and finally found the culprit. It was one small corroded connector on the main ground wire. He was so happy when the camera finally came to life. (See photos) Oh, and he said later that his clearance lights were much brighter now.

Happy camper.jpeg Bad connector - Copy.jpeg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

which is why new members with electrical problems really need to do more trouble shooting - we cannot tell from a bunch of photos where the poor connections are.

Grandpa Don, jmkay1 and NMroamer like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Electrical problems are never fun and sadly not many are taught it much in school unless you chose to take it as an elective. Thankfully my dad is an engineer so he taught me a few things about how to track a problem down. Don't think I would have figured that problem out though. I would have assumed the camera was an expensive dud.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Good find

5. Grandpa Don

I started my working career in 1968 working for Xerox as a copier technician. In those days the copiers ran off of 120vac. Some of the bigger ones like the Xerox 2400/3600 were actually run off of 220vac. Can you imagine? So I got a lot of electrical training and experience from day one. None of the machines had transistors or circuit boards yet. I think the Xerox 3100 was one of the first to have replaceable transistors and circuit boards. Then they trained us in electronics (e.g., capacitors, transistor, resistors, transformers, and relays). But over the years I have forgotten most of what I learned back then. Does anyone remember this little ditty: Bad boys race our young girls behind victory garden walls. I think I remembered that correctly.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

OK - so what does the ditty serve as a reminder for.

And can you guess these (ignore the spelling, it was a verbal thing to remember certain items):

1: He Likes Beer But in Cups Not Overflowing.

2" Nena Miginte Always Sips Claret

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Heard it several different ways. Its a method to remember the resistor color code.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

How about Eli the Ice man.

9. Grandpa Don

TOMBIASI got it. "Black Brown Red Orange Yellow green blue violet grey white." Gold and Silver were tolerances. I have no idea what those others are! And you are right, the Red could be a violent term.