Anti-Sway Bar for towing 2002 Coleman pop-up w/ 2015 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by kcrouth, Jul 31, 2020.

1. kcrouth

kcrouth New Member

We have a 2002 Coleman Mesa popup which weighs over 2000 pounds and has a single axle. We tow it with a 2015 Tacoma Prerunner w/ towing package. We occasionally experience some sway and "wagging" at speeds above 50mph. I was considering adding an Anti-Sway Bar to our hitch (NOT weight distribution, only anti-sway) like the CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000HLO7QA/) just so we have some solid side-to-side damping when the swaying wants to start. We do load 60% front / 40% back as much as possible. I am wondering if this would be overkill. I am also a little hesitant to drill the 4 holes in the trailer tongue that the installation would require (see picture). Any thoughts are appreciated. KROUTH05-WIN10_2020-07-31_114004-813+pZ+NtdL._AC_SL1500_.png 71jWrMIRaLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes, add it lots of pups came with them from the dealers. You could have them welded on. No holes.

kcrouth and RockyRoo like this.
  3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Always always always run away control. If not integrated into a wdh then via friction sway bar. As already stated I had some of mine welded on and some I screwed on. Either work just fine. But definitely pick one up, they are cheap

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    kcrouth and friartuck like this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Drilling the 4 holes is no big deal. I did it to my TT.

I can weld and could have welding the small ball on. However, I didn't see a need to grind the paint off the trailer and then blister some more with the welder. Then, have to repaint. In addition, it would be a pain to take the ball off later if for some reason you needed to like if it got damaged.

kcrouth likes this.
  5. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

Before you spend money and time on this, are you sure your trailer is loaded correctly? Try moving weight forward. Often sway is a loading issue. Some trailers are just worse with sway than others but is a quick and easy solution to try.

kcrouth likes this.