Any amateur radio operators here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Wisconsin Camper, Sep 27, 2010.

1. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

KE7AVP Here. Usually to many things happening. So don't mess with the radio..

2. spotcheck

spotcheck New Member

Great looking setup, Craig! Just got our first N2U Coleman PUP and are taking it out this weekend to a local campground for a trial run. I'll carry a little roll-up J-pole to string up in a tree and a dual-band HT just to see how things go. Hope to eventually have a modest HF setup to play with, so your Pop-Up Vertical post gives me some great ideas! Thanks, and hope to work you one of these days.

73, Doug, K4EK

3. cllowe

cllowe New Member

Kj4aud here. Have a yaesu 8800 in my truck and keep a ft 60 in the camper.

4. idler

idler Member

W9AKA here

I only have a Yaesu HT for now. I'd like to spend more time working repeaters.

5. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

I'm studying for my license now and bought a Baofeng UV-5R V2+ on Amazon for $50. Eventually I will upgrade but for now I'm listening and learning and it fits in my backpack (cellphone signals are spotty in the mountains of CO). I listen, usually Thurs/Sun, to other operators and am learning a lot from their discussions. The weather band, coincidentally, has already saved my bacon once due to an inbound storm 50-60 mph winds that wasn't forecasted the day we left home - cut our trip short to beat the weather. I have Ham Tech, SatExpPro, and Ham Radio Exam (Roy Watson's) apps on my phone for study purposes. Liking the Ham Radio Exam app so far. The only down side to the Baofeng is counterfit programming cables and software on the market that are useless. If you get it, get the OE items and not the knock off.

6. Sgtyork

Sgtyork New Member

KM4ODW. Icom in truck. Playing with D-Star and might try DVmega in pop-up this year.

7. Werner

Werner New Member

Werner, VE4UA in Winnipeg, MB Canada

8. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Not me, but my Great-Uncle Marlin Gilman is. Sorry I don't know his call sign, but he's in central Iowa. If anyone manages to find him, say hi for me? If not, no biggie.

9. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I'm a ham! Call here is KB1VYI and have been licensed for about 8 years, general class. Like to bring the portable ops camping as well, all in good fun. Sold the Jeep though in favor of a TDI Sportwagen. Will have to outfit a 2m rig in that.

IMG_20180927_181453078.jpg

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

KE8MAM. Tech in April, Gen in 2 wks.

11. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

KG5NWZ - studying now for General as the 2 meter here has fallen silent.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  12. Werner

Werner New Member

Looks like his call sign is WA0AUX

Brett1962 likes this.
  13. Werner

Werner New Member

I have tried 2m band, etc with a dual band J Pole, and a 2M slimjim…...Also have tried HF on CW with a Icom 740.....but will see what I do this year......We just sold a older trailer (Venture 1280) which is about 46 years old, and now will be picking up a 2007 StarCraft 2102 popup.....Cant wait to see what room we will have inside, and outside with the Add a Room, etc....and of course room for rigs and antennas, cables, etc.....
    Werner VE4UA

Brett1962 likes this.
  14. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Thanks! That was so nice of you!

Brett1962 likes this.
  15. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

Anyone else get out to use their popup on field day! We operated at a local state park and got the appropriate overnight permits to stay over. We operated quite successfully and we all had a great time! The front kitchen worked great for feeding 15 people and even used the built in batteries for a VHF/UHF station.

IMG_20190623_082614212_HDR.jpg

16. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

Looks as if you had a blast!!
    I was able to hit a couple of repeater contacts using my HT but the stars just weren’t aligned for me.
    Brett
    KG5NWZ

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I am K9PHT King George VA... Ham radio since the 1950s...

Got my StarCraft OFF-ROAD POPUP model RT14 pretty much setup with HF and VHF radios and antennas...

You can see what my radios are by viewing my POPUP trailer lay-out...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

This is what my RT14 interior floor plan looks like... We usually have the table installed into the wrap around seating to make a day bed setup... Like eating outside around the fire pit...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

I will put up my off-center dipole on top of my 10-foot antenna mount and throw the ends up into some trees... It's kinda like an inverted VEE all band antenna... I like my HF 80M and 40M bands the most...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Brett1962 likes this.
  18. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Passed the Gen on 4 June. And rewarded myself with a Yesau FTDX5000

19. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Google image

Yesau FTDX5000
    Sure is a lot of buttons and knobs haha... AT my age of approaching the 80 YR mark, I probably would not live long enough to learn about all of those haha...

My ICOM 706 HF is a pretty much a PUSH TO TALK button haha... Click - "Do you hear me now".... I could probably throw a bucket of water on my setup in my POPUP and it would still work...

Obviously I haven't looked at new radios in many years... The last few times out I have been leaving the IC706 and mobile antenna mounted in the truck and I picked up a second control head to use in the POPUP small console area... Works great out in the woods...

Makes me violate one of my golden rules however as to not do anything to run down my truck battery system. This is the only way to get home in haha... So far so good...

Your FTDX5000 sure is a pretty thing....

I just realized I don't have any photos of my Ham Radio small console setup on here… It is just control heads with speakers and microphones. The radio units are mounted off to them self out of the way... Everything is mobile and runs off 12VDC... All is low power RF output (50Watts stuff)... About the only thing I look at when on the air is my forward and reflected Power Meter... Hopefully it is all going OUT and not being reflected back haha... 50WATTS SSB on 40 meters is a strong signal haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  20. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

Congratulations

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019