Any amateur radio operators here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Wisconsin Camper, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

Congrats on the passing of General. I’ve just not had the time or willingness to Study Honestly, I’ve just don’t have anyone locally to take me under their wing and show & teach me what all one can really do beyond the Technician license.
    Once again Confrats, Mr Roy!!

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

You all gots me mixed up with JOET KE8MAM... He is the one that upgraded to GEN and got the new YEASU FTDX5000....

I was just looking at a picture of the new Radio and drooling abit haha...

Roy Ken
    K9PHT - King George VA
    [​IMG]

3. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

Oops!

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Extra will be in November, don't have that much time to study now

5. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member

My sons and I just got our licenses (I upgraded to a general class, the boys are technicians) last year and are planning to do a lot of popup camping. We have HTs and a couple of mobile Yaesu radios as well. What do people do while camping? What kind of radio? Hookup for power? Antenna, etc. I am looking for ideas for this coming summer so we can take our equipment on the road.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

This is what I have in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer... might give you some ideas... One of my problems in the POPUP trailer is the Power Inverters I have really produce a lot of RFI noise in bands all over the place. Can work around them... My console is situated around my wrap around seating in the trailer. Nice and comfy... I also have WX Alert radio always on as well...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I have three antenna on my F150 Truck...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

On my POPUP trailer I have two small three-inch 5-foot sections I can raise up and then use a off-center dipole wire antenna with the ends thrown up in the trees...

I love to operate on 80M and 40M with my ICOM706MKII radio when camping...

I have a KENWOOD TM V708A for VHF UHF channels...

Antennas on the truck are two 2M/400 COMET SBB-7 NMO door mounts and LIL TARHEEL Screwdriver HF antenna.

Antennas on the POPUP trailer is two 2m/400 COMET SBB-7 and I can move my TARHEEL HF screwdriver to the POPUP when needed... Normally I use the off-center 139 foot wire antenna for HF on the POPUP.

I have a second 2m/440 ham radio Kenwood V7 I think it is installed but I have to move my ICOM IC706 from the truck to use inside the popup. I am looking for a ICOM 706 second control head and run a cable from that back to the truck
    radio that would be easier to do than moving the whole radio over to the popup...

You don't need to run a lot of RF power on the ham radio equipment to make contacts...

Roy Ken
    K9PHT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  7. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

N0FKU

Always have my HT with me just in case. It's a yaesu FT1DR.

8. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Thanks!

Has he been heard from lately? He's very old and has some disabilities. I'm not in contact with that side of the family much.

9. Werner

Werner New Member

Have not heard much from anyone on this thread....been busy working regular shift( College Security) during this Covid19 virus pandemic.....so keeping busy dreaming of all the mods I will be doing to the trailer, what gear I might take along, LED lighting changes....etc....Plus now have to dig ourselves out, due to a big snow storm going on now here in Winnipeg, Manitoba....probably will get about 15 to 20cm of snow.....Oh well, we just had most of the snow melt away, so will have to start again....lol.....

10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Nerds!...j/k.
    I have a few of the baofeng UV-5r's but have limited knowledge. Mainly use them as scanners and in our "go bags". Hope to find someone or a class to attend with my son so we can test and be legal.

11. Werner

Werner New Member

Hi Tom,
    The best thing to do is contact the local club in your area for classes. I have a few UV5Rs, UV82s and one triband UV5R.....I live in Winnipeg, just North of North Dakota in Manitoba and have been a Ham since 1971, but joined the Winnipeg Police Force as a Officer in 1975 instead of staying as a radio operator, as I went to school here and became a commercial operator for a bit......I specialized with WPS as a Identification Officer (CSI) and then a Collision Reconstructionist......Now since I retired, I work in Security at a local college, but will retire in June and looking forward to a lot more camping in our 2007 StarCraft Popup (2102)…...We had a 1973 Venture popup for a few years, but it was getting a little old and would need a total rebuild, so we sold it....
    We have been working on the Add a room screen attachment, trying to make it as bug proof as possible where it attaches to the trailer, and also changing all lights over to LED, and maybe add a few to brighten things up.....

Werner

bheff likes this.
  12. paddykern

paddykern Member

AC8ND
    Use 70cm/2m mostly.
    Local repeaters, 146.52 simplex, D-Star 089C and APRS.
    Skywarn, Emergency communications support for marathons, Emergency communications backup for police department.
    Also use FRS radios for autocross club communications.

13. K8RDS

K8RDS New Member

Just picked up a 2002 Viking PUP and plan on setting it up to run a BITx40 on ft8 with a efhw antenna powered by its own battery and solar charging system. Also occasional satellite work using handheld and converted commercial mobile gear. K8RDS

megcabra likes this.
  14. Dstinnett875

Dstinnett875 New Member

KK4ZYT
    Huntsville, AL
    Technician class though haven't been very active. But do plan on taking it with us when on the road

megcabra likes this.