Any Assistance From the Family

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Gumbias, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

Hey I am wondering when you get to the CG does everyone help or is it a one Man/Woman operation to get your pup setup. For us when we get there my DD 12 (in the past with the old pup) will setup the camper while I start getting all the other necessitates, and helping her with the harder parts like pulling out the bunks, and the door. Although at the end of the year last year she put it up and took it down by herself (correctly mind you). I was impressed! [:D] Not sure she will be able to do the new one will have to see. My DW will get in the camper as soon as the bunks are out and start getting the beds made and unpacking the pup needs.

I have see others at a CG where the Father & Mother will get out of the TV and begin setup while the Children are off running around going through coolers and bags and leaving a wake of destruction.

I actually one time saw a Father get out of the TV and setup the entire site (about an 1 1/2) while the wife and two older kids 8-11 sat in the TV in the A/C till he was done.

Also do you give your Kids jobs while camping. My #1 rule of camping Adults cook and the kids do the dishes. And that goes along with help with setup and tear down and general site clean up. I guess I may be a big meanie, but that is my vacation too. [}:)]

2. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

I set up the camper, my wife holds the dog and critiques my progress, the kids usually just kinda stand there, I guess they're lost without a video game.

3. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

It depends on the kids ages what tasks they can help on. Some families dynamics are different to others so I guess some will have a different take on this. I tend to get the pup into position crank up level, stabilise, then pull bed out. DW makes the tea but I need no assistance when drinking it [;)]

4. slicvickie

slicvickie Member

Best story I ever heard was the family that pulled in, Mom, Dad and all kids jumped out of the TV, raced around and had camp set up in record time, then they all scattered. Turned out that the rule was that nobody goes to the rest room until camp is set up! Very effective!

5. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

We do a shared set up. Our girls are still a little young ( 5yo and 2yo) but any job we can find for them we do. Their favorite is finding kindling for the fire or they set up chairs, put the table cloth on, entertain the dog, entertain eachother :) [}:)] it can go both ways. Our 9yo is our right hand man he knows where things are stored and can pound in a stake or grab a side of the awning. I do the inside set-up because I'm OCD like that. As for clean up the kids clean off their plates and put them next to the wash bins and will set the table or help get out condiments and such. As they get older we hope set up will be a little easier as they can handle bigger jobs.

6. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

The first thing we do after setting and unhooking the camper from the TV is to put up the fence for the dogs so we can get them out. Albert does that. Then we all three work until it's done. None of us really have assigned duties, but it's understood that Albert is going to do the leveling of the pup, and I'm going to set up my "kitchen" where and how I want it. Dylan chooses his tent spot and gets it up. We kind of assembly line gettin the stuff out of the pup. The one in the camper hands stuff to the one at the door, and the other one puts it where it goes. This system works very well for us.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No kids here, so that doesn't factor into it. I can't remember just what happened when a friend & I took her then-11 year-old daughter on a week and a half trip with the pup and ground tent. The pup was a 2-person job to begin with, then I set up my ground tent while she finished with the pup; I think the kid helped. [Said kid is now in college, still bring up the "rigors" of that trip and swears she will never camp again.]

DH & I have it down to where we usually work together to get things set up. If it is near supper time, he gets the table canopy set up, and I start supper while he sets up the ground tent. Then we shuttle the rest of the stuff as we get a chance. There have been a couple of trips when I have not been able to do as much set-up, either after surgery or dealing with chronic problems, but I much prefer to be able to do as much as I can.

We will have to see what routine develops with the pup after renovation. Because the lifters didn't work well, it was better as a 2-person job to lift the roof and get some of that done. We're thinking we may be able to have a bit more in the pup than we used to do, though with a 6' box, we'll still have the food items in the TV; we routinely live out of that for hiking and reading equipment and the like.

I have a 2+week solo trip planned with the pup this summer, so plan on as easy a set-up/break-down routine as possible. When I take a "ladies only" trip with one friend, we do a team set-up; with another, we each have our own equipment, so set that up before setting up the common area.

8. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

I was the one who physically set up the camper. My toddler son would "help" with things like holding bunk poles and placing the wheel chocks during set up.

Once the camper was up the wife took over making the bunks, transferring food from cooler to fridge (had a 110v only dorm fridge). While she was doing that me and the kid would haul firewood from the back of the truck and stack it near the fire pit. Then everyone was responsible for getting out and setting up their own camp chair and side table.

I am a firm believer in everyone pitch in as they are able. Share in the work and share in the fun, and I am doing my best to instill this in my son as he grows up. Right now it is "fun" for him and makes him feel important to be able to "help" with whatever is going on so I have it easy in some ways.

9. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

My DW and I set up the PU together. Then she takes care of the inside set up, while finish the outside. My kids are not ready to pitch in fully. But eventually they will help.

10. ScouterWife

ScouterWife Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

The majority of the time DH does it all by himself, but only because he's setting it up while I'm at work. We do a lot of 1 nighters close by because I work on Saturday. He'll haul it to the campground and set it up, then come & get me when I get off work. We share pack up duty.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I camp alone most of the time so I'm used to doing everything by myself. I have a system. When DW comes I don't want to have to ask her to do X or explain how or when to do Y, etc., so I just tell her to enjoy herself and I do everything. That goes for the entire trip. I load, unload, cook (although my "cooking" while camping is purposefully light) , clean up, etc. Because I'm retired and she still works I make sure that when she comes along it is a 100% complete vacation for her.

12. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

We have down to a science. DW takes DD to the restroom while i unhook and start set up. Their first job is something cold for me. Then when its up they do the inside stuff beds and such. I then do coolers mat and set up my chair . I then sit and watch the world go by.

13. candleems

candleems Member

I am normally the one to set up. Many times I go to camp first and DH waits for DD to get out of school. I prefer it that way. I know where everything is and set up and tear down at home often when fixing or packing the PUP. If I do it from start to finish, I know all the steps were done and nothings been forgotten.

14. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I'm with Barb. I'm alone with the kids as often as the times my wife is there. I set up and tear down. If my wife is there, she keeps the kids occupied, which IMHO is the biggest help she could offer. She also tidies up the inside and unpacks our stuff. I tend to live out of the suitcase if she's not there.

15. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

It's just the two of us, so we kind of split the job. DW helps me level, then I set up the pup while she unloads the Jeep. Then she switches over to the inside of the pup and gets things shipshape while I set up the cooking table, screen houses, and the shower tent. When we're done with that, we get the picnic table and lawn chairs set up, get the stove and lanterns set up, then relax.

16. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We believe that the family is a team; many hands make light work. That being said, there are times when we've asked the kids to play their DS's in the car while we set up - if it's dark or we want to get it done fast for whatever reason. Things always take longer when the kids are helping, but they have to learn how to help and that Mom is not just here to wait upon and serve them. Or at least that's the theory - we'll see how well it works in 20 or so years. :)

Usually, we do a "bucket brigade" unpacking the trunk, setting the things on the picnic table.

I set up the inside as soon as I can get in there, and DH and the kids do the bunks and other things outside.

Sometimes, I will take one of the 2 younger kids to help with the sheets, sleeping bags, and pillows, if we need to get them into bed or quiet. Most of the time, we are traveling at least 2.5 hours to a cg, and we either can't get out of town before rush hour starts (on Friday, that's pretty much all day, or all afternoon), or we hit really bad traffic, so we get into a cg later than we'd like.

I have wondered if things would be easier if we had a different kind of RV, but I'm afraid that wouldn't feel like camping.

17. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

We do almost the exact same.

18. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Everyone has a job to do, the DW picks out the best place to set-up the camper, I back in and swear a few times, she takes the kids out of the car to protect their impressionable ears, then the trailer is finally where she wants it, I unhook and set the wheels, she ensures that it is level, the kids begin to unload the car or go on 'stick' patrol for the fire. Once the roof is raised, she and the oldest son take care of setting-up the bunks and the inside, and the rest just sort of happens. I usually stop muttering obscenities under my breath after the second beer.

19. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Chores have always been shared in our household. That carried over to camp chores. When the kids were younger, they had simpler tasks. Now that we are empty nesters, the DW and I work together to get things setup. I usually do all the heavy work and she does the organizing and setting up lighter duty things. We have it down to a fairly efficient routine. A beer and a glass of wine are usually included somewhere in the process.

20. Racebear

Racebear New Member

This will be the 1st time my DW will have the joy of setting up a pup. In camping trips of old (the old tent days) we both helped each other. So my hopes are it works out the same way with the pup once she figures out how it is done. But I am a firm believer in everyone helps with something.