Any Assistance From the Family

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Gumbias, Mar 20, 2010.

1. kendall525

kendall525 New Member

My husband didn't want a camper....so I ventured off and bought an affordable reliable pup at the end of camping season last year. I guess that means I do everything myself and he shows up at night once it's all done. The kids are 1 & 3 so they can't do much yet either. My sister in law and her 2 kids will be coming along most of the time so this year hopefully I can get them more involved!

2. Janetmac

Janetmac Camping is a lifestlye and a hobby.

OK I don't feel so bad now! LOL! My DH and I set up together and the kids DD 13 and DS 12 set up their stuff and take care of the dogs while we finish. This only really started happening after I bought DD a multi tool with a saw and everything and bought DS a Swiss army knife. [:D] I told them they can't use it until we go camping and everything is set up. Lets see how it will work now that we have a PU! They love their tools [MOD] and the fresh air to use them in. [A]

3. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Usually there are only two of us -- either DH and me or DD and me. If it's DH, we set up the PUP together, then he takes care of the inside while I set up the outside and the privacy tent. I usually build the fire and get dinner started -- I do all the cooking and he does all the dish washing.

With DD, she completes discrete tasks as directed. :)

I've set up several times on my own -- makes me appreciate the help when I have it!

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We are a family of 5 and we all pitch in, though now the older one is 19 so he is usually working longer and shows up after we are done when we camp locally.

We take long trips coast to coast alot and we found that when the kids were in the teen years, the old "noone goes to the bathroom untill she's up" get's them moving.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

At the CG the DS and I setup the pup. Once is is open the DW works on the inside and the DS and I finish hooking up the electric, water and sewer. The DS then works on staking the awning down and we both finish getting things squared away outside. I then go inside and setup the shelf above the galley. Then help the DW unpack the kitchen stuff and place that stuff on the shelves.

Then.....IT'S MILLER TIME!!!! (Actually I drink Guinness!!!) [;)]

6. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

LOL thanks Dusty. I do need to give my DD Alexandria credit too. She really pays attention when I am showing her how to do things (even when I think she is not) She is a pain most of the time like most kids, but like everyone else we love them all. I am going to show her how to check and re-grease the the barrings, check the breaks and check for wear. I think it is important for her to learn such things. She will be doing the breaks on the Explorer before we go to SD in June. [:D] [LOL] [;)]

7. Jomidax3

Jomidax3 Camping is like a drug....I need a fix!

A typical camping trip for us is usually my sister and I take the children (4 all total between us) up with us and her husband follows the next day (I totally think he plans it that way to avoid set up!). The great thing is the children (especially the teen agers) are getting pretty good at setting the PUP up with little or no instruction from the adults! We've taken it camping enough times that they have it down to an art and they're pretty good about jumping in as soon as the TV is in "park" and getting it all rolling. In fact, my 12 year old nephew calls the trailer his baby....lol. With all the help, we ususally have the whole campsite set up in less than a half hour. Takes us longer to light the campfire than to set camp!

8. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

After our season opener (FINALLY!) last weekend, I was reminded of one thing that the kids do that really helps out. They take the gray water tank to the dump area. DH is 6'9" tall and dragging or pushing anything low or short really takes a toll on his back. He's rigged up an easier way to drag the gray water tank along and now the kids fight over who gets to take it.

So, if you hear them squabbling back and forth as they drag that along, just grin -

9. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

It's just my husband and myself most of the time. He works late, and sometimes Saturdays, so we pick campgrounds close to his job. To make things easier for him to get the chance to camp, I made myself learn how to hook up, tow, and reverse the darned thing without looking like a total idiot! I usually get to the campsite while he's still working, and can get just about everything set up by the time he gets there. Our awning is the hardest part for me, so he helps with that. After that, we can both relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

10. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Like bjjohnstone on here...just usually me and the DW camping...all the kids are out of the house and just the two of us. She usually gets home before I do and has the TV loaded up so that all I have to do is hitch up the PUP to the TV and hit the road. Once at the CG....I back-in to the site and she helps me do that along with leveling the PUP. She helps unpack the storage area (water hoses, poles, screen tents, etc.) then we raise the roof and pull out the bunk ends. I do the poles and the roofs of the bunk ends. She then goes along and does the bungee cords on the bottom of the bunks. While I plug in the PUP, do the water, makes sure the propane is flowing, water heater & frig is on...the DW then unpacks the food and the items in the camper.

Team effort and do the same when we pack-up

[2C]

11. cyndikate

cyndikate Believe it or not, we all fit!

There's a lot to setting up camp for 8 people, but there are also a lot of people to set it up! [:D] The older kids are invaluable, the middle two are fairly helpful, the 8 year old is pretty helpful too, but the 5 year old is just decorative! [LOL] If she stays out of trouble [}:)] we are happy. Oh to be the youngest. My two eldest can set up camp without us, and sometimes do.

12. acline

acline New Member

All pitch in!! Sometimes that's more help than we need, like last summer when my 5 year old son did something (I still don't know what) with the crank while popping down the camper and got the whole system in a bind with one corner up and three corners down!! But we all help--so much so that I feel completely comfortable camping alone with my 6 and 8 year old. I only have to tell them once--they don't help, they don't go!!

13. skatiero

skatiero New Member

We all pitch in: Rob is in charge of leveling (we all help, though) and we all take turns cranking. The kids have jobs according to age: younger ones set up chairs, etc. Everyone helps!!!!

14. reddog06

reddog06 New Member

The DW and I have only set up the pup 4 times total in the last 6 mos since we got it, but we always split the setup and tear down. We just seem to know what has to happen next and do it. I back it in and crank it up, but then it is a joint effort.

15. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

It is usually just DW and me who set up. We have a routine and unless it is raining, it is just take out time and enjoy the experience. She does the inside while I hook up the water and electric and set up the outside. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh only 13 more hours to go till we leave. Cleaned up the van and loaded some things and asked DW where all the STUFF was, she said it was already loaded in the pup. That is exactly what I wanted. Just load up the cooler of food and clothes and we are on our way [A]

16. scooper

scooper New Member

My five year old gets a kick out of cranking down the stabilizers. We try to give the boys (3 but almost 4 and 5) little jobs to do while we set up to keep their interest, otherwise they'll either run off or sit in the TV and complain. They are at that stage where certain adult jobs are fun to them. We take advantage of that now before they get a few years older and start to complain about everything.

17. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

I'm a one man show. When we get there the wifw and kids look for the swimming spot.

18. slicvickie

slicvickie Member

If I'm really lucky, I get to go a day or two early and set everything up myself. Being unemployed has a few perks! If we all go together, I usually do the majority of setup with one DD helping me. Other DD does the TV unloading while SO sets up kitchen and stows groceries. Then she builds the fire while I make up the bunks. The rule is whoever cooks, doesnt have to clean. I'm pretty sure the girls could set it up by themselves. I think I will let them direct the whole process next time.

19. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

in our family everyone pitches in. the youngest is DS at 6 and he sets the pads for the jacks, sometimes cranks the tounge and in few occasions the PU roof to where he can. The oldest DS 10, he helps cranking the jacks, setting chairs, slide-out, tie-down the bunk ends, while the DW sets the inside and I level and pull the bunks and set the poles and awning. After that, I'm with refreshment on hand while the kids ride their bikes around. [:D]

20. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Generally DW and I will set up the pup while the kids watch (have 3 one 6yr and twins 3yr). After the pup is up the kids and DW work on the inside getting the beds set up and I will work on the outside setting the chairs, cooler, awing and ez-up up, and what ever else needs to be done.