Any bow hunters?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by firepit, Aug 8, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Any bow hunters on here...deer season is closing in.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My neighbor does. I haven't hunted myself for well over two decades now. I was mostly bird though, tried deer a couple times but I really disliked stand hunting and I am not a good woodsman/tracker although I got close enough to to a doe once but she bolted as I was shouldering.

My son made his own bow out of fiberglass rods, PVC and Paracord and we practice out back though.

kcsa75 and firepit like this.
  3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I did a lot of bird hunting pheasant/quail as a kid but now birds arent around like when i was young.
    I like archery and muzzleloader hunting for deer.
    Archery is my favorite.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

I don’t hunt, but I do enjoy shooting my bow.

5. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’m the black sheep, I do not but my Father and Brothers are big into it. Nothing against it, here the season falls during my busy season at work. The general archery season in my part of the state just ended.

Westcoast likes this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Took archery course in scouts or 4H when I was young. The lost skin on my left forearm taught me that I was better suited for firearms.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

. When I was in scouts I too did a little archery. Your right about the loss of skin on the forearm. :wink: Figured it wasn’t for me and never looked back. Well until the Disney movie Brave came out and for some idiotic reason I forgot all about the pain and wanted to try again. One would think an adult would know better. ;) Yep, again learned I am not cut out for archery too bloody painful. I love watching archery though. Not hunting, just target practice. Had a buddy who had a crazy expensive Hunting bow and I thought he was out of his mind considering how often he was able to use it between work and family life. He only hunted turkey and once in a blue moon, deer.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

to prevent skin burn rotate your elbow clockwise away from line of flight/sight centerline; I learnt this at age 66

this assumes that u shoot right handed

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Guy i work with is a big bow hunter. Takes down the deer after waoting around all day. Then has it butchered. And he freezes it for the year. Makes for good hot dogs for me. The other venison is not to my taste. I unfortunately am used to store bought meat and dont like the gameyness of it.

10. KeizerTrailer

KeizerTrailer Member

I am a long-time hunter/outdoorsman thanks to my Dad and Grandpa. About five years ago my Dad mentioned the interest of getting into bow hunting, so two years ago, he bought his first bow. This last year for my birthday, I got my first bow from him. Still need to get the peep sight set up on it, but have shot it many times without it to work on my form(can hit the block at ten yards without the rear peep). So far, I am enjoying it, but man what a rabbit hole for bow accessories. :shocked: That is one nice thing about hunting rifles or combat rifles: get a good rifle you want to shoot and a good optic and with good practice you're good to go. With bows its; releases, optics/sights, stabilizers, arrow design, head design/type, random accessories that help the bow, etc. [?:~{] Good thing research and shooting the bow will help me decide if I need more gear.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

old age dims the memory, I recently searched high and low throughout our house, twice, for six arrows, fletched, that I had bought off Amazon. Days later I dimly remembered that I had DW take them to our archery shop to get cut to length and have target tips fitted. Mystery solved.

KeizerTrailer likes this.