Any Clydesdale mods?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by djturnz, Aug 31, 2014.

1. djturnz

djturnz Member

I love reading the mods section. I'm hoping to buy a large pop up next year, so I'm keeping a mental list of mods I like.
    I'm also a big guy, so I was wondering if any other big guys were on here, and if you made any mods to better accommodate a larger person.
    Everything in campers is about shrinking your house down to trailer size, so everything is compact.
    Camper bathrooms, not gonna work for me, same with the shower inside. I know i have these limitations, but my family can certainly utilize them, so I wouldn't turn down a camper with those amenities.

I've read that most bunk ends shouldn't be a problem for weight capacity, but what else is?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2. mv520

mv520 Active Member

You might want to carefully look at the entry steps used on anything you purchase. Some seem pretty flimsy to me, and people coming out of the PUP tend to land on steps pretty hard as they go down. The big sturdy Coleman/Fleetwood "stepper doors" even have their share of problems also as often in these forums you read of the rivets in the hinge links sometimes break. (I have to wonder if some of those breakages are the result of someone dropping the big heavy stepper door and stressing the hinge. I can easily see those stepper doors getting away from a child lowering it). Mod wise, not sure what you can do short of having some kind of prop you can put under the step, with a lot of adjustability for the ground height/slope underneath. But one area to ponder as you make a purchase.

3. djturnz

djturnz Member

The steps is what caused me to post this. We were visiting family at the campground today. Two travel trailers. One I can use the steps fine, the other, they move a good bit. I was thinking I'd either build a set from wood and tote them around, or some kind of legs under the metal steps.
    Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

How do you modify a horse????? I bet nothing they like. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Bunks/steps all could you a little support. Stabilizers at all four corners, strong steps with a good base. Wood squares to keep things from sinking into the ground.

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

They make adjustable step stabilizers fairly cheaply. They can be found at most RV suppliers. One source is here

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

7. banks412

banks412 New Member

I made a wooden step out of old 2x4's I had lying round and scrap piece of 3/4" ply I got at the local HD. Now I don't even pull out my PuP's doorstep. I just put the wooden step down and it's the perfect height to step up into the trailer. I also made some bunk end supports for the two corners to help with weight. Yes, there are 4 poles supporting the bunk, but I haven't replaced the wood in the bunk yet (it's 20 years old) and they're fully adjustable. Not pretty, but I'll attach some pics of them if I can remember how as well as post a pic of them in action. They're peace of mind if nothing else....

Let me know if you're interested in checking them out. Pretty easy to build yourself with a cheap welding rig from Harbor Freight.

8. djturnz

djturnz Member

I'd love to see both mods.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

9. zjrog

zjrog Member

I'm a Clyde, 6'3" and more over 300 than I care to be. We rented a recent Flagstaff model and were pleased with it. Even the step seemed sturdy. I'm very nervous about sleeping out over the tongue or off the rear, but I was plenty comfy on the front dinette benches, the front bunk had more than enough room, but... Well, I joke with folks about stress testing everything for them...

For my project trailers, I'm intending to sleep myself within the box. Personal preference until I trust. TALL stabilizers at all 4 corners, not trusting just the tongue jack. Steps will depend how tall either trailer winds up. And in my 1984 Starlite, I'm thinking of an extra layer of plywood on the floor before building benches. And all benches will be heck for sturdy built.