Any Coleman gear heads out there?

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Eskimorob, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

My wife calls it a disease, but I can't seem to pass a piece of old Coleman camping gear without trying figure if I need to add it to my collection. It started innocently enough with an inherited 3 burner green stove with a red tank, a 1970's two burner stove, a non-working GI pocket stove and a model 220f lantern. I remember camping with these when I was a kid. I've kept these going over the years and still use the 3 burner and 220 lantern every trip. My collection now includes a second GI pocket stove, another inherited two burner white gas stove, several lanterns ranging from an old red single mantle model 200 with round globe(resto project) and a 60's 'big hat' to a newer dual fuel double mantle lantern, an lp single burner stove and an lp lantern.

There's something about the hiss of a Coleman white gas lantern that just feels right, and the way it shuts down with that little bubble of blue flame that signals quiet time. All of these additions are flea market pickups that I just can't refuse. I've gotten to the point where I have to pass on a lot of stuff I see because I just don't have the space. The one that got away was a nickel two mantle I saw at an antique mall a few years ago, they wanted $90 for it and I balked, if I had it to do over that one would be in the collection now.

2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

It's neat all the things that grip us and compel us to get "just a couple more".

http://intlccc.net/

3. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Active Member

I have a Coleman addiction too. My oldest piece is a 2 mantle quicklite lantern from 1928 that uses a small hand pump to build pressure. A 2 burner Stove with round copper colored tank from the 30's, a 426d 3 burned circa 72, 2 lanterns from the 50's and 2 from the 70's, a tent heater from the early70's. I also have a bad habit of finding 2 burner stoves new in the box or looking like they were used once very cheap that I can't pass up on. I resell those to people just getting into camping because they are so clean I hate to use them. MY friends and I used to have a motto He who dies owning the oldest piece of Coleman camping gear wins. Happy hunting.

Rick mc likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have been collecting Coleman liquid fuel gear for years. I have the lantern my grandparents bought new in 1968, plus another dozen or so more of various models. I have a mint 1953 nickel two mantle on display in my living room.....It came in a metal case with a handful of mantles from the same era. I paid $20 for it at a flea market... I have a stack of stoves. I have a couple of single burner backpacking stoves. I have a couple of catalytic heaters.....I need to quit carrying the stuff home.

5. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I used these lanterns all of my camping life. From Boy Scouts in the early seventies and even now. I never saw this clamp on kit for the bottom until I found this lantern in the 73 Ramada I bought. I am finding it harder to get white gas and I am starting to cross over to propane. Still have the two burner stove and one lantern. Started with one green bottle lantern.

Phoodieman

Attached Files:

6. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

I saw gas at Wally today for $25 per gallon. That's getting ugly!

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I had an advertisement for that clamp on thing in the 1966 red Coleman of my childhood. My dad kept in it's original box and still had the directions, with the ad for this thing, and the warranty card in it. I sold it on eBay because I'm an idiot. [:(]

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My Walmart has it for 9 bucks a gallon.

9. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

I dig snagging unique Coleman things when I see them. Don't go out of my way about it but still fun. Ya gots one of these mats there?

[​IMG]

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Also wanted to mention that the clip on storage was not sold in stores. Mail order promotion only.

11. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

It was called a lantern safe. It contained a wrench,a pair of mantels,and a generator.

Rick mc likes this.
  12. uploon

uploon Member

I'm getting there.

If I lit all my lanterns at one time, the neighboring sites would be complaining!

13. Rick mc

Rick mc New Member

Wow you al. Sound lIke me !lol I received my dad's 505 single burner stove and a 220 latern he bought new in 70 came in a metal case . And a 2 burner stove .that my dad clear lacquered the card board box it came in . He said it was to keep any dirt or grease on the stove not the camper .lol well that was about 2 years ago now I have 17 lanterns of different years and models and about 10 2 burner stoves . A my favorite is 2 mantel in door lamps in I have found ,and got working they are the oldest one is from 1932 . And everyone of them Items are made by Coleman ! It fun collect in the summer and spend the winter getting them up and running .

14. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

There you go ,NOW I have the hankering to go yard saleing looking for old Coleman stuff!

Rick mc likes this.
  15. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

I Have a few old pieces of old Coleman camping equipment too. Maybe you guys can help me out too. The one stove will not burn correctly. It seems to overfuel. I have had everything apart and cleaned, wasn't really dirty. I use new unleaded fuel as well. Any ideas? My brother and I love cooking with this old equipment on our brothers weekend but not if it's unsafe.

16. Rick mc

Rick mc New Member

I'm not keen on the stoves all I have ever burned is Colman fuel .

finsnspurs likes this.
  17. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

I think I will try Coleman stove fuel before I give up on the vintage stove, Thanks.

18. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Automotive fuel is not as refined as Coleman or white gas fuel is. So whatever appliance your using it in, will clog up and be covered in soot. Its also not stabilized for storage. For these reasons, we only use white gas.

finsnspurs likes this.
  19. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

I have several Coleman Nickle Lanterns, a red 200A that is in mint condition and made the same year/month I was born, a few of the 502 stoves, an original copper funnel, But my favorite vintage Coleman piece is a rare folding suitcase table. All metal, bolt-on legs. 'Bout the size of a card table....just wouldn't be 'camp' without it.

Let those vintage Coleman lanterns shine! ~ "The Sunshine of the Night"

20. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Member

I don't have a lot, trying to contain my addiction. But, I do love Coleman gas lanterns and stoves. I really like the old backpacking liquid gas stoves too, like the Optimus and Svea.
    [​IMG]