Any cons to slide & pop out on a pup?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by davekro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

We recently got a great deal on a ‘99 10’ foot box StarCraft pup. We would’ve loved to have held out for a pup with a slide out and a pop out, but for our first pup we wanted to keep our cost low because we had to buy a TV to pull a pup also.

Loving this experience already, we are considering if we want to upgrade next season to one with maximum interior space for a 10’ (maybe 12’) box. In our shopping/ learning quest at a few dealers, it seemed with most 12’ boxes, you get the wasted space of a toilet/shower (to us since we don’t want or need those.) We are limited to 16.5’ storage length (tongue to bumper), so that means a 12’ box max (or 10’ with storage on front). Any noticeably less tailoring sway w/ slightly longer axle to tongue of 12’ boxes? Is a 12’ box w/o toilet shower combo rare? Ones w/ porta potty only are OK because as we can just remove it and use that space for other storage.

Since We’d be shopping for a used in good shape unit, I double we’d run across the rarer High Wall pup, but do their pros outweigh any cons?

Generally, how much weight is added for:
    1) a slide + a pop out?
    2) High Wall + a slide + a pop out?

2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Can't speak for highwalls but a slide is in the area of 3-400 lbs extra. I moved from an 8' palamino to a 12 ft and slide.....best decision I ever made.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    davekro likes this.
  3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I went from a 8 ft Coleman to a 12ft Palomino with a slide. It definitely was the best move for our family, especially when the kids were little. When that Pal died, it was replaced with a 12 ft Coleman, with you guessed it, a slide.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have a large pop up, no slide but it has the toilet. Downside is weight. Tbh, the toilet is a godsend and easy to dump. Dont knock it till you tried it. Especially if you have kids. The area can be used for storage coming and going. High walls are heavier also. I would just worry about of your tv can handle it. Sway is controlled with the little sway control arm thing, get one if you dont have one allready.

nkcrouch and theseus like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

It is just me and 2 kids. When looking for the new pup it had to have the toilet/shower and slide. If it didnt have both I passed. I would post a current pic (camping right now) but it is messy and I dont want to clean it up..lol

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Down side to a slide is weight and reduced interior storage when closed. I don't think there are any 12' boxes that meet your closed length requirements. For only three, there are lots of good 10' boxes out there. I would pass on a built in toilet and just get a portable one later if you need it. A basic 10' box can be towed by many vehicles.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Weight and another possible failure point. We spend very little time inside so never needed that extra space.

9. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Why is this in the Hybrid section?

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

My misunderstanding of the nomenclature, sorry. I just now realized/
    remembered that a hybrid is a TT or hardsided camper w/ canvas bed pop outs (like PUP end bunks). I saw pop out and post my 'slide out' question under this topic in error, sorry for that. And thanks for the reminder to be more mindful of term's meanings.

11. davekro

davekro Active Member

We absolutely do NOT want a toilet (or shower). For just the two of us we prefer to do our business at the restrooms (or small container for #1 ;o).