Any geocachers?

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by litehiker, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bflentje

bflentje Member

The coordinates are only as accurate as the weakest link in the process.. your GPS, the hiders GPS, signal bounce, etc. Once you get near GZ, put your GPS away and start looking. Start searching in a circular direction moving further out as you go until you find the cache. The number one mistake noobies make is that they're deadset on "standing" on GZ, when they "look around" and don't find the magical box, they get frustrated and give up. You have to learn to put the GPS down and use your instincts to find the cache. It's very rare that you'd ever be standing right on top of a cache.

2. Wagnfixr

Wagnfixr New Member

We've been caching for quite awhile now, but not so much lately as I'm more into camping and restoring old tractors. DW still loves to grab FTFs close to home when she can. We have around 1300 finds, and had 7 or 8 hidden but all are archived now. Lots of interesting caches in the Raleigh, NC area.

3. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Geocacher here,,,,,also have 3 of my own so far. [:)C]

4. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

We have geocached for a few years now.... It is a GREAT way to find new places you might not otherwise go to.... We have seen some beautiful places while camping!!!!!
    [:D]

5. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I've been geocaching for at least 5 years now. My caching has drastically dropped off. I blame the growth in popularity. There are so many people placing caches just because they can. They never stop to ask themselves if they should place a cache in a certain area. There's really no need for me to find yet another parking lot micro cache.

But while camping, I try to find a couple caches. I only go after caches that are quality caches. I may try to find a micro somewhere, but it is usually because it is in an area that has other things to see.

Geocaching has put me in areas that I would have never seen without a cache being placed there. There are some really awesome views near caches.

6. cs300823

cs300823 New Member

We are geocachers... just started about 8 months ago so we still are getting the feel for the caching thing...we love it usually we do it while out on our atv's alot of fun.... Happy Camping [CP]

7. thecigarmann

thecigarmann Member

The wife and I have geocached since 2003. The best part about the sport is meeting all the people.

8. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

We started geocaching yesterday. Had a lot of fun, found 2 out 3. I bought some trackable coins on ebay, 2 are pathtags, and the other is a geocoin. Can't wait to find some trackable coins and trade them out. I bought the Magellen geocaching dedicated gps, it works pretty good. Still trying to figure it all out. Can someone help me with the lingo. I keep seeing all these abreviations on the geocaching website logs and I have no clue what they mean. Like I'm guessing FTF is first to find, but I dunno. And muggles are non magic folk, but I am guessing they are also non geocaching ppl. Thanks.

9. electronflux

electronflux Member

there's a FAQ page on Geocaching.com that has all the abbreviations.

You don't have to wait to place your trackables. If you find a cache that you want to put it in, and it'll fit, go right ahead.
    just make sure to activate them before you place them, un-activated trackables are assumed to be swag.

You could also just carry them with you. My kids and I all have one coin that we always carry caching, and log it in as having visited the cache.

10. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

Hey, that is a good idea, thanks. I found a FAQ on my GPS and it had a lot of the acronyms listed so that helped. I will have to figure out how to log the coins and all that.

11. TNTtravelers

TNTtravelers Member

We geocache as well......whether camping or not. Last year we found some just down the street from where we were camping. I usually try to look at the caching site before we go camping load up some just in case.

12. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

We're Redsky Aussies on Geocaching.com. We don't tend to do much "power caching," as we have more fun looking for interesting caches, rather than focusing on high numbers.

13. TNTtravelers

TNTtravelers Member

Ditto to Hoomi

14. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

If you have Android smartphones, the c:geo app will let you see nearby caches on your phone. We've found the positioning feature of some phones isn't as precise as an actual GPS unit, but you can get an idea of what is close by, call up the listing from geocaching.com (which will give you the actual coordinates, which you can then use with your handheld GPS), and makes it easy to log your finds right then and there.

There is probably a similar app for iPhones, but not having any iPhone owners in the family, I can't point to any of those. C:geo, though, works nicely for us. It's great if you get somewhere, and haven't done a pocket query or other such search before hand.

15. electronflux

electronflux Member

geobucket app, free
    geocaching.com intro app, free
    geocaching.com full, $
    for iPhone

i use geobucket and my magellan explorist 310

16. dandcp

dandcp Member

Yup, we have been caching almost 2 years this month now! Love it.
    from the city so have lots here but love to do it when we get away too.
    It has taken us to many very cool locations that we would never have gone too.

[A]

17. fpd4308

fpd4308 New Member

A good camping buddy and I have been caching for a number of years. Great activity on camp outs. Btw our geocaching.com name is Team Pals. Maybe see some of you all out there.

18. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

Wow... I haven't been out geocaching since about 07 or 08. And until 2005 I had never even heard of it. Hard to believe that something so popular remains secretive. When out caching we call non-cachers "muggles".

I miss doing this. I'm going to have to start up again. :)

19. nconniej52

nconniej52 One semi-retired DH and a cute blonde Shih tzu

[size=14pt]We've been cacheing since 2010. We've found 275 and hid 114. We just love it. We always try to find some caches when we go camping. It's really fun.[/size] [PU]

20. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I found my 1st one the other day.....
    Was helping stock trout and picked up a piece of trash (bottle) stuck in the fork of a tree...
    It had writing on it that it was not trash but a geocach.