Any good "HOW TO" threads on 1995 Coleman Roof Rebuild??

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by SilverPopUp, Mar 23, 2015.

1. SilverPopUp

SilverPopUp New Member

Im not familiar with how to rebuild a colman roof. Are there anygood threads on here to help me? I have tore off all the interior rotten wood already. It looks to me like there is an outer aluminum shell, then a layer of styrofoam, then panelling. The roof sides are the same which I thought there would be wood sidewalls like most campers. If I dont get some good feed back Ill go ahead with replacing the roof sidewalls with 1x8's insteady of just styrofoam. [PU] [MOD]

My unit is a 1995 Coleman Montauk with rooftop a/c and the 2' front storage

2. kyar326

kyar326 New Member

We are in the process of completely building a roof from scratch. I know if you search the forum for "roof rebuild" some will pop up. We found this one a couple days ago, although it's for a dutchmen we have decided this will be pretty close to what we will be going with...just making the mods for it to fit our Jayco.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=52578.0

We've found that Youtube offers plenty of helpful videos as well. Good luck, and look forward to see pictures of your rebuild!

3. CharlieTN-OtherHalf

CharlieTN-OtherHalf New Member

Re: Any good "HOW TO" threads on 1995 Coleman Roof Rebuild??

My DH rebuilt the roof of our 1995 Stony Creek and has a post about it. If you'll search on that phrase, you'll find it. He is CharlieTN. I'll poke him for you....to share some more info about the sandwich construction of the roof and the additional steps to make sure he didn't have to do that daunting task again.

Hubs - CharlieTN, Me, and the little beauties, 10 & 7, piled into a 2001 Nissan Xterra, pulling a 1995 Coleman Stony Creek.

4. CharlieTN

CharlieTN New Member

This is CharlieTN, the other half. I'll answer any questions you might have.

The roofs really are a simple structure as you've seen, aluminum skin, foam board, some aluminum reinforcement strips in key places (such as where screws or rivets have to go) and then the luan board.

Getting the foam off and the adhesive cleaned up was my biggest challenge and unfortunately a couple of spots I didn't do so good so the replacement foam board didn't stick in those places. With the roof assembled it doesn't seem to have made a difference though as the majority is stuck.

Shoot me some questions and that will help direct the info I can provide.

Good luck, it's quite doable. I have very little experience and just spent tons of time researching it before I proceeded with each stop.

5. SilverPopUp

SilverPopUp New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have done several roofs, some from scratch, but never a Coleman. I was just thrown off to see the lack of wood in the roof. My metal skin is a total loss. Im using a thick gauge aluminum to make a 1 peice roof instead of the previous 2 peice. Hopes of preventing any leaks. Ive not spent much time on here to figure out how to post pictures or I would do so. I tried once a while ago and it was a pain.

What insulation did you go with? The pink board or the white? I used pink on my last one and liked it because it was less of a mess.

6. CharlieTN

CharlieTN New Member

I used blue board from Lowes. Basically just found one that was the right thickness and went to town. The only messy part was i used a router to cut out the channels to run the wiring for the lights. That was quite messy.

I like the idea of the 1 piece skin on the roof.

7. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

My 2ยข worth-

Consider marine grade plywood where you replace any wood (sidewalls?)
    Glue needs to be waterproof if possible, but not affect the foam

Posting pics here- you need to set up an account with Photobucket or Flickr, post the pictures there, copy the direct link, paste the link here in your post, highlight it then click on the Insert Image button above. However if you delete the picture from the hosting site (Photobucket, Flickr) it also disappears here.

8. kyar326

kyar326 New Member

We are having a difficult time finding new aluminum that would work on our new roof...old aluminum has puncture holes all over from hail and looks like someone took a hammer to it in spots. Mind sharing where you are getting yours from? We too are going with the blue insulation from Lowes.

9. jfilz

jfilz New Member

Pink or Blue - same thing different makers. White is cheap and not as good.

Metal - Aluminum if you want single sheet - call Truck/trailer repair shops or manufacture. For Steel or Galvinized sheets call up local metal service centers - both in most major cities.

FRP - fiberglass re-enforce Plastic - call your acrylic sheet supply store.

Personally thinking of replacing mine with sheet metal - all welded. Then might send off for galvanizing dip or zinc paint coating. My trailer is all original steel metal sheet siding, top was thin aluminum - now very dented due to 35 years and several hail storms.

10. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Its been awhile for us, but here is the thread I posted when we did it.

Ours is a couple of years older, but the roof is made the same way.

I did this project about 4 years ago on my 92 coleman pioneer. We used Dicor self leveling lap sealant to seal the caulking & small roof holes. No problems or leaks.

Here is the thread with the details... http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=49794.msg380333#msg380333
    I hope it helps