Any help with Jeep Grand Cherokee towing capacity??

Kasey Redrum

Oct 17, 2019
Hello . Maybe someone has a similar car that you tow the Popup with.... We have a Hybrid Tent trailer (pop out beds) 2017 Jayco X172 that has a stated GVW of 3500lbs max (which is comprised of 3005 plus 495 cargo/fluid) . So the car I need to get must be able to safely tow 3500lbs. I understand the car also has load limits for passengers etc... but specifically I am looking at a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with rear wheel drive. It has the 3.6 v6. I have looked at the manual and I have researched it via GoodSam documents that list it as being able to tow 7,400lb. https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2015.pdf

The Jeep manual gives a GTW (gross trailer rate) of 6,200lbs for that engine and rear wheel drive. But there is a warning that states if the Trailer weight is over 3500, then you must use a weight dist hitch. My understanding of that year of car is that the "tow" package (which I do not have) is simply a higher class hitch and some extra wiring harness in the rear. No mention of any additional transmission cooler or other items. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Always one person that doesn't really answer the question. Guess it's me this time, but wanted to stick in my $0.02.

It would surprise me if the towing package wouldn't have a trans cooler. I'd advise adding one. It's as simple as bolting it in place, cutting the transmission line, flaring the ends (you can rent the tool for free from an autoparts store) and putting hosing to and from the cooler with hose clamps. Top up any fluid you lost (check fluid level with engine runing).

To answer your actual question:
If your figures are correct *make sure you are comparing the same gear ratio* it sounds like the vehicle could handle the trailer.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Also be sure the payload of the Jeep can handle your passengers and car-packed stuff as well as the recommended tongue weight for the trailer--most vehicles will exceed payload before they get to their alleged towing capacity.

jeepster04

Nov 23, 2010
I think the 5.7 engine had the 7400lb towing capacity while the 3.6 engine has the 6200. From some quick reading on Jeep Forums, all 8 speed 3.6 GC's had the same transmission cooling regardless. Cant confirm that though.

If the manual recommends a WD hitch, it would be a good idea to get one. It will help with rear end squat and put some weight back on the front wheels.

Cape Cod Mountain Man

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
Apr 23, 2010
Hello . Maybe someone has a similar car that you tow the Popup with.... We have a Hybrid Tent trailer (pop out beds) 2017 Jayco X172 that has a stated GVW of 3500lbs max (which is comprised of 3005 plus 495 cargo/fluid) . So the car I need to get must be able to safely tow 3500lbs. I understand the car also has load limits for passengers etc... but specifically I am looking at a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with rear wheel drive. It has the 3.6 v6. I have looked at the manual and I have researched it via GoodSam documents that list it as being able to tow 7,400lb. https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2015.pdf

The Jeep manual gives a GTW (gross trailer rate) of 6,200lbs for that engine and rear wheel drive. But there is a warning that states if the Trailer weight is over 3500, then you must use a weight dist hitch. My understanding of that year of car is that the "tow" package (which I do not have) is simply a higher class hitch and some extra wiring harness in the rear. No mention of any additional transmission cooler or other items. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You have to admire the cache that Jeep has developed, but you should look at Consumer Reports. Sorry, I'm just not a fan.
When it comes to towing, bigger is better and SAFER. I have towed with a mid-sized SUV and a large TT set up to tow. It met specs but it was a real struggle for that vehicle. A weight distribution hitch really worked, but we eventually opted for a pickup.
Satisfying minimum specs is not enough. Remember that you are going to be loading that camper with a lot of weight to add to the GVW. You must be able to get the rig to sit on a level parallel to the ground or it is unsafe.

Last edited:

John Flores

Sep 4, 2020

Hi, we have a 2015 Jeep GC Summit with the same engine size and specs you listed. We have the 2021 Rockwood HW277 popup which is pretty heavy; even dry. When I purchased the Jeep it had the hitch cover but no hitch so I took it to Jeep and had them install the hitch and activate the 7 pin wiring harness that was pre-wired. They have to active the harness via the computer. It seems they link the serial # of the hitch to the computer and turn it on.

I also looked to install a transmission cooler at first. But now after many trips the transmissions stays at an even temperature even traveling through the mountains. The Jeep is very capable of pulling the PuP HW with 3 people and all our stuff in the trunk. We also have the wireless electric brake installed and a sway bar for added security and my personal comfort due to the heavy weight of the HW277.

I live in CA so the weather here is very hot during summers and I've had no issues pulling this PUP with the Jeep. I did just replace the original tires. So be sure to check your tires to see if they are rated for heavier loads than just being in stuck in traffic going to work.

Andrew Hamilton

May 21, 2020
First of all, you are correct in you should make sure your tow vehicle (TV) can handle the GVWR of the camper. Too many people shop the dry weight and it's a false starting point.

Second, also look at the payload. You want to safely bring the camper AND the family.

I'm just the weight police. I don't know much about the Jeep GC. I would think the standard tow package would be suitable. Don't be afraid of using a Weight Distribution Hitch. While they can be cumbersome to use, the measure of driving comfort send safety they provide makes up for any hassle. I think too many people try to avoid the WDH. They really help. Good luck and happy camping!

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Keep in mind that most manufacturers treat dry weight as the bare basic unit with no options. Empty propane tanks, empty water tanks, no A/C, no microwave or oven if those were also options. 495 lbs is not much for cargo capacity on that unit. Typical A/C alone is 80-100 lbs I think. Full tanks leaves you with only a couple hundred for cargo. I have seen pups that had a higher cargo capacity than that.

Kasey Redrum

Oct 17, 2019
I believe that on this hybrid camper, since it is single axle , it has a GVW of 3500lbs. So It could never weigh more than that as long as I dont load it up. and as long as I keep the water tank empty :). So I am hoping that if the car says it can do 6200, and I have a 3500 trailer, I should be in pretty good shape? Thanks for all the help everyone. I am trying to buy this car from Shift, which seems to be some sort of strange app-based used car seller and so far they are not impressing me. What happened to the good old days of looking someone in the eye and haggling for 4 hours to save $500 off their price??

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I believe that on this hybrid camper, since it is single axle , it has a GVW of 3500lbs. So It could never weigh more than that as long as I dont load it up. and as long as I keep the water tank empty :). So I am hoping that if the car says it can do 6200, and I have a 3500 trailer, I should be in pretty good shape? Thanks for all the help everyone. I am trying to buy this car from Shift, which seems to be some sort of strange app-based used car seller and so far they are not impressing me. What happened to the good old days of looking someone in the eye and haggling for 4 hours to save $500 off their price??
Buying a used car sight-unseen would scare me. I've always bought used, but I like to really put a car thru the paces and get under it and check everything out. I like to meet the previous owner and see the stack of receipts from any maintenance and gauge that they've treated the vehicle well. You may luck out, but I just couldn't do it....