Any Hesitation on buying older Popups?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by rushmore, Mar 11, 2020.

1. rushmore

rushmore New Member

I teach at a Technical Institute, so I have the summers off, otherwise I probably couldn't justify an RV at all. Remember too that it's CAD.

FARfetched likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I’ve never had the funds to buy a new pup. If it’s not 10 years old I couldn’t even consider it. Shop around and don’t be afraid to walk away if it is not what you were expecting.

Spridle likes this.
  3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Ours is a 1993 Coleman and we have no regrets. Keep up on maintenance and your pup could last for a long time. We bought ours in the fall of 2009 and it needed a lot of love (new tent, mattresses and tires) but I love it.

Alan likes this.
  4. Winchested

Winchested Member

We bought a 2002 Coleman Mesa about 5 years ago. Check the floors for rot/soft spots in the Corners under the cabinets etc. Mine has a couple soft spots (sink/stove side wheel well area), replaced the floor in the front storage compartment. Replaced the whole back wall and the back door side floor. Check the water tank for cracked fittings.

Bring a 20lb tank and have them show you that the heat and fridge work on propane. The top in mine has a few cracks now and in one of the lathes. Didn't come with an awning and haven't purchased one yet.

I'd say $5000 plus tax is high but these things don't seem to lose their value.

Make sure they have done the wiffle tree and cable service etc if you're paying that much.

We paid $3500 for ours spent prob $1000 extra on it over the years, spring over conversion, bigger wheels/tires.

If it fits your needs buy it.

We only have 2 kids and a dog plus us two. But we have camped with their friends etc and our friends and all been just fine. Make sure it comes with a casette toilet.

I'm considering now buying a motorhome so I can tow my 79 scout II 4x4 around NA and if I can get $4-5k for mine I'm happy lol!

5. Alan

Alan Active Member

We bought a 2003 Westlake with hot water, refrigerator, shower and cassette toilette, 4 years ago for $3,300.00. It hadn't been used in years and the interior looks near new. The exterior not so much. If the roof is in good condition and has had the added bracing which Coleman came out with somewhere along the line to address the ABS Roof issues, 10-1 you'll never have a problem with the roof, if you take proper care of it. We keep ours under a cover during periods of non-use. Our cover lasted two years and a new one via eBay is like $60.00 including shipping. Only you can assess the real condition of this pop-up. If it is in good condition and they can demonstrate all systems are working properly, I would see no reason to refrain from buying it - if it fits your needs!

6. Alan

Alan Active Member

One little detail to check, if it has an awning, make sure the threads on the awning bag seam are in good condition. We lost ours alongside the road going over a speed bump! I also know somebody that lost theirs on the freeway! That string if loose or rotten comes undone like a zipper because their sown in like the string on a bag of dog food, or bird seed. I had a guy that makes custom boat covers sow ours back together I think he charged me $40 cash.

firepit likes this.
  7. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

We bought Coleman Cheyenne last year in the middle of summer, when the prices are bit higher. Ours is a 2002 model and was well kept and mostly inside a garage. Took camping few times last year and can't wait for the weather to warm up. I want to get away from the city and live in the outdoors away so that this horrendous coronavirus keeps out!!!

Anyway, as many folks said, please look over everything - from top to bottom, inside and out, underneath, everywhere very carefully and not just rely on the dealers report.

Good luck!

8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Good tip on the awning...My brothers ripped off and he never found it....We had a good laugh at the campground when he discovered
    it was gone.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If you're replying to the OP he's in Canada so his $5000 Cdn is less than $3500 USD at current exchange rates. ;)

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

That long list of repaired items did not go towards any roof inspection or repair, so I’d be aware you are on your own on that. All the other stuff, while nice and good, could be done by a DIY’er for maybe $500, so personally, the $2,000 invoice does not add anywhere near that much in value.

11. brdeel

brdeel Member

I think it depends what your expectations are and how you want to use it. I have a 1997 Coleman Sun Valley that I've had/used for 4 summers. If you're going to buy an older pop-up you need to be a DIY person and enjoy fixing stuff. Most dealers/repair places won't work on the old ones. For me, it's no big deal. I work on it myself and only fix the things I want to use. The heater/ac never worked. I live in CO and primarily camp at altitude in the Rockies where there are no hook-ups, so I really don't care. If we're cold I use my Mr. Buddy heater.

The biggest repair I've done was necessary when the pop-up stopped popping up. I found links to info that pointed me in the right direction so I could take the rear end off and add washers to tighten the chain, how to fully clean and re-grease the wiffle tree assembly and grease other things with 3 different types of grease. I posted my pics and how I solved the problem here, as do many people, which makes this a great resource.

My ABS roof is now sagging enough that I can't put the door on when popped up because it dips right over the door. There are detailed instructions and pictures by various people on how they solved the problem on this website. I've done my homework and talked to one of the members for more details. This Spring that's my project.

I enjoy that I can fix my pop-up on my own and enjoy the camaraderie of other DIY folks on here. If you don't want to do work on it, don't buy an old one.

As for the Sun Valley, I think it's a great floorplan and love that it's big inside. I camp with kids 11 and 13 and my doggo. We camp with multiple families and while I don't let others run in and out during the day, there's often a gaggle of kids and an extra dog or two inside playing cards at night while the parents get to hang out by the campfire. It don't git much better 'en that!

12. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Is that your dogs in that classic poker painting, then?

13. Clayman11

Clayman11 New Member

Hello, I am not sure of the rules here, however I purchased a 2008 Palimino Pony 2 years ago and its proven to be an outstanding buy. It was In absolutely amazing condition(still is) and we have gotten 2 great summers all around the Ottawa Valley in it. Don't be afraid of slightly used pop-ups. Do your due-dilligence and you'll be happy you did.
    That all said I am about to put this beauty up for sale as we are buying my father in laws 29 foot enclosed unit as we are going on some longer trips out of the country.
    Enjoy ur experience, and feel free to message me at my email addy if you'd be interested in seeing photos of our Palimino Pony.

14. brdeel

brdeel Member

LOL! It's not far from the truth!

FARfetched likes this.
  15. Winchested

Winchested Member

Considering I'm also in Canada our $5000 is the same as is our $3500 lol.