Any idea's on how to hire someone to tow locally (in Los Angeles area)

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by AdamS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. AdamS

AdamS New Member

Hi All -

I am trying to move a tent trailer, but I am currently without a tow vehicle (this should be remedied shortly). I am looking to hire someone or a company to move the camper across town - about 70 miles (just one time). I seem to be able to only find long haul transportation. Any idea's on what to search for?

Thank you!
    -adam.

2. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Why not rent a U-haul truck and move it yourself? Their half-ton trucks rent for $19.99 per day, plus mileage. Gives you an idea of how well it would tow without having to rely on anyone else. My cousin just rented one for a week because they didn't own a truck. Paid less than $400 for 7 days and that INCLUDED 800mi of towing. Cheaper than renting from one of the big rental outfits, like Hertz (and they don't allow towing).

3. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

The uhaul is a good idea. Otherwise, any tow truck company should be able to do it.

Milemaker13 and neighbormike like this.
  4. AdamS

AdamS New Member

I tried that first, but when I called, they said their trucks don’t have brake controllers. How do you deal with that?

5. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Depends on the truck and the Pup. 4 of the 6 Pups I owned had no form of brakes installed and it was never an issue. One of them had surge brakes and those kinda sucked in the mountains or forest service roads. My last Pup was a Jayco Baja 10Y with the factory off-road/lifted suspension and had the ATV deck. It had electric brakes and I could use my controller in cab to shut them off once I went off-road. You may find that if you're just doing a simple move across town, you may not even need them. Even with my 30ft TH, I still shut off the brakes if I'm in town because with stop-and-go traffic, its annoying when the trailer brakes activate the moment you step on the peddle or are creeping along with traffic. Of course, a better brake controller can be programmed to account for that but mine was installed when my 2000 Ford Excursion was new and that option just didn't exist back then.

6. AdamS

AdamS New Member

OK, so I couldn't do UHaul because of the brake controller. Enterprise Truck Rental turned out be to a great option - they allow towing and have brake controllers, however, they did not have any trucks available to rent this week. I ended up using UShip to hire a mover and for not much more than a truck rental would have cost me - it all went very well. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Sjm9911 likes this.