Any Metal Detector enthusiast out there?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Grandpa Don, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I have several hobbies, but one of my favorite is metal detecting. I got interested in that back in 1968 while living on the Mojave Desert. My very first detector was home built from parts. Then I got an old heavy World War II mine detector. I got it from an Army Surplus store in Fresno California. After that I bought a Fisher M-70 for $100.00. I still have that one, but it doesn't work any longer. Then I got two detectors from Montgomery Wards. One was Bounty Hunter Bandit, and the other was a Bounty Hunter Outlaw. Very old stuff now. And I still have both of them. Surprisingly they both still work. Next I got a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. Still have it, and it still works. Then came my Garrett Ace 350 and a Pin-pointer. I am now using a Garrett AT-Pro and a water proof pin-pointer. That AT-Pro is a great detector. The Ace 350 is also a good machine, but I prefer the AT-Pro.

I have a YouTube channel with videos showing some of my finds over the years. The link is in my Signature.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not a detectorist, myself. But did you see the BBC show "The Detectorists"? It was a great little show. my wife and I really liked it.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My brother metal detected a little unfortunately ran into a lot of places that forbid it . The biggest issue here is finding places we can legally detect in. Every single place has strict no metal detecting rules. Its a bummer because my brother has found some really cool civil war things and other things from that era when he did manage to get out. A big help for him is he had a couple friends who lived on a farm who allowed him to detect there so long as he didn't go in their cow field. I considered buying a cheap one but when I saw his problem I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I did however gave my 11 yo little side kick a metal detecting Easter egg hunt using my brothers equipment . We all got a kick out of it although the kiddo hated working for her money/candy. Which cracked us adults up even more.

Pommom70 and Lori Mitzel like this.
  4. Grandpa Don

I recall something by that name, but I can't remember it now. I'm not much into television. Too much of that stuff is staged.

5. Grandpa Don

Yes, there are a lot of places that don't allow detecting. Sometimes I would go out to our local park just for maybe 30 minutes of detecting. Just for the fun of it and all I would ever find was modern coins. But that's fun too. I never left a hole. The last time I did that there was a newly put up sign saying "No Metal Detectors". Since I live out here on the Desert, I have plenty of wide open spaces to hunt. There is the old 20 Mule Team trail that goes right through the middle of our small down. It starts in Mojave and goes all the way to Death Valley. It is loaded with stuff. There is also an old World War II bombing and strafing range within two miles of me where I can find tons of .50 cal shell casings and 20 mm casings. I also found 4 live 100 pound bombs out there too. EOD had to come out and detonate them. There is also an old railroad bed that has many water stops along the way. The rails are all gone now and so are the small communities that were once situated at the water stops. Tons of stuff out there. The names of these old places are still shown on the maps. But when you go to those locations, there is nothing there to indicate that it was once a small town. Nothing but purple glass fragments and old square nails.

southern gal likes this.
  6. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I don’t, but my brother and cousin in law do. He’s got a fancy Minelab something or other. They do way more prospecting with them than artifact hunting. I’d guess though they find more artifacts than precious metals. Neither ones gotten rich, but they do find just enough to keep it interesting.

Good luck with your detectoring

southern gal and Grandpa Don like this.
  7. Grandpa Don

Ya, I'm not getting rich either. Funny story: I went out to a railroad water stop on the Mojave Desert called Fremont. At one time there was a lot of buildings and other activity out there. The old railroad bed, minus the tracks, runs right through there. Lots of purple glass and square nails. Also several rather large holes that people were excavating for bottles. They were just dump pits. I found a few interesting things. But look what I found in the following video at Time Mark 14:00

The coin find:

A good aerial view of the place is here:

8. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That’s good stuff you videoed for sure. Funny how someone finds things or experiences something cool when you really aren’t trying. IMO one of my brother’s neatest finds was trying to help my grandfather. He lost his Leatherman multi-tool while out irrigating a piece of summer pasture. He and another cousin took his detector to hunt it down. Long story short, he found an old Tom Mix and Tony (I’ll guess kids) pocketknife. Don’t come across one of those very often I’d guess.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  9. Grandpa Don

I had another cool find many years ago while I was in training for Xerox in Leesburg Virginia. I think the year was 1978. I was there for two weeks training, and of course I took my detector with me. The training center was right on the Potomac river. After class I took the detector down to the river bank and found several old Musket balls. On the weekend I rented a car and drove up to the location of the Civil War battle of Ball's Bluff which occurred on October 21, 1861. There is a very small cemetery there, but you can not take a detector in around the graves. So I took the short trail that led down to the shoreline of the Potomac where the Union Army came across to attach the Confederates camped at Ball's Bluff. Unfortunately the Union soldiers got their butts kick and high-tailed it back to the River and the waiting boats.

So I was walking along the trail dragging my Bounty Hunter Bandit detector behind me. Sure enough I got a hit right in the middle of the trail where countless numbers of people have walked before me in the past 120 or so years. Digging down I found a Union belt buckle in perfect condition. It was only 6 inches below the surface. I could not believe it. I took pictures of it in the hole, then covered up the hole and moved on. But I didn't go more than 10 feet when I got another hit on the trail. This time I dug up two badly deformed Musket balls only inches apart. I had those items for years. But since I was not a Civil War collector, I later donated them to a museum somewhere in Virginia. Its been too many years now for me to remember what museum. That was a hunt I will never forget.

10. southern gal

southern gal Member

Wow - I bet you can see billions of stars out there in that desert at night! What an awesome place to camp!

11. Grandpa Don

Yes, but I'm not much of a star gazer. In the wide open places like that the only thing that I have to worry about is the wind. It gets pretty strong at times.

southern gal likes this.