Any model train enthusiasts here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by crazytrain, Aug 14, 2011.

1. crazytrain

crazytrain Wenie Roaster

When not camping or working in the yard or on the house, I like to model HO scale trains. I am in the process of building a full time 10 x 15 foot layout in my basement. I also like to collect and build HO scale models. I was just wondering if anyone else was into trains. :)

2. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

My six year old son is enthralled by them. He got his first HO set for his birthday a couple months ago. He's really getting excited, and seeing other people's set ups really get his young imagination going.

3. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

I buy and restore O scale Marx tin trains from the 30s, 40s and 50s.

4. Mpsabatt

Mpsabatt New Member

I have Lionel,American Flyer, Marx, and K Line Engines,Cars,Track and Transformers packed up in the basement. Run a Large Scale layout around a small section of our six and onehalf acres.

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

we love to go to the Brandywine River Museum in Chadds Ford, PA every year at the holidays to see the train displays. Our boys really enjoy it. Have you ever been?

6. crazytrain

crazytrain Wenie Roaster

Yes, They have a nice layout.
    I live about 15 minutes from Strasburg, Lancaster County. The National Railroad museum and the Toy Train museum both have som pretty nice layouts also. :)

7. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

Unfortunately my railroad is packed away since we don't have room for it anymore. My middle DD bought me a complete 4 x 12' n-scale layout a few years back but had to sell it when we moved and no longer have a garage. Most of my stuff is HO.

8. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

I just remembered that November is Model Railroad Month. Go visit a club layout, look them on the 'net and enjoy with your kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, or just the kid from next door.

9. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Count me in. Modeling in HOn3 (HO narrow Guage). Trying to create a little bit of Colorado in my basement [;)]

A couple photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Alabama...yeah it's better than you think.

Woo heck ya! I love em. I got my dad's old tyco's from the 60's. Just waiting for enough room to set them up.

11. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Got my first train set in 1954, a Lionel 027 gauge set. Added bits and pieces over the years and still have it. Got into HO scale when my son was younger and dabbled in N scale, just a bit. Right now everything is packed away but I still put together the odd model engine, in fact my wife got me 2 model engine kits for Christmas.
    We visited Steamtown in Scranton, PA. this past Oct.

12. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Alabama...yeah it's better than you think.

Ah that looks great!

13. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

Yup, me too! I'm building a layout in a 12x14' room in the basement. I have all the bench-work done but only a little of the track work done. I have a small yard and about a 10' run of mainline. I get to work on it so infrequently that my DW keeps threatening to take the room back [LOL]. I've been working on it a little at a time and the time is now about 10 years. I only work on it in the winter since I'm usually doing outside stuff the rest of the year.

Harvardroger--Nice pics!

14. bobnvic

bobnvic New Member

Just started a new 8' x 8' HO layout. Having a little trouble deciding on a trackplan , but will eventually figure it out.

15. CalKat

CalKat Member

We have a 16' x 6' N scale layout. It is kind of U-shaped for the operator and one end is double becked for a mountain scene. It is a pretty large layout for the much smaller N scale. We recently had to move it and turn it around and relocate it in the basement. Unfortuantely the basement is only 12 feet wide! We had to cut it in half, and now it needs to be re-connected and restored.

16. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I sure hope these track layouts include a scaled down campground or two! Or maybe just a boondocking popup next to a creek....:)

Greg

17. ND Mike

ND Mike Member

My husband "plays" with the real thing! He's worked for BNSF for 9 years now and was surprised at the enthusiasts out there. They have people taking pics of the trains all the time, they've had women approach them and ask to have their picture taken with the workers on the trains! He loved it!! lol.

18. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Any of those trains look like this ...?

When I was a boy growing up they ALL were like this!

[​IMG]

19. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

20. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

For space limitation reasons, i went with n scale and i just recently stumpled upon a web site the had really small layouts. I think they referred to them as "Pizza box" layouts. Wow, trains in a box all ready for camping. I'm going to have to look into that [RTM].