Any models with an outside fridge?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by sch5034, Sep 26, 2019.

1. sch5034

sch5034 New Member

Is anyone aware of a popup layout that has a fridge that is accessible from the outside? Most layouts seem to have the fridge under the sink, which I have 2 major issues with...
    1. You have to get down on your hands and knees to put things in or take them out
    2. The fridge is the first thing that gets blocked when closing up the camper - I'd much rather be able to put food in the fridge right before leaving on a trip, but I prefer to have most of the camper loaded up the night before.

Interested in seeing any floorplans that would have the fridge facing the outside, as this would address both of my concerns.

2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know this answer. But another solution we use is that we have a plug-in electric cooler. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-40369-...eywords=electric+cooler&qid=1569547703&sr=8-6

I plug it in in the house and load it up. When we leave, it goes in the car and plugs in to the cigarette lighter. Then when we're at the campsite we plug it in to the outlet on the outside of the camper. We like it because it stays very cold (unlike our PUP fridge) and it's easy to make sure it always has power. Oh, and it's easy to load up in my kitchen at home and then just carry out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that they would make a camper with the refrigerator pointing outside. Possibly if it comes with two refrigerators.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that I saw one at the last RV show. I believe it was a Rockwood

5. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

Yes, I was just looking at Rockwood floor plans the other day and they make one with 2 refrigerators, 1 accessible from the outside! I think it was in their premier line.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have never seen a popup with a fridge outside. Personally I hardly use the fridge myself because it doesn't keep my meats frozen so I still have to carry a cooler with me anyway. I've seen TTs with outside fridges. You may be able to find a highwall popup with an outside sink/stove but never seen a popup with a fridge.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My indoor fridge does not have the freezer section.... We carry a 5-day Coleman Ice chest sitting in the rear tailgate area of the truck bed. This is always covered by my folding hard panels on the truck bed... Ice holds out a good three days... We have a clear plastic container sitting on top of the ice for our frozen needs...

Going to get ice is about every three days...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen a fridge like that on a pup. There are a couple hybrids with an outdoor kitchen that have a dedicated fridge, but almost all the ones I looked at used a regular electric fridge, so it would not run on propane or 12V. There are some pups with an outdoor kitchen though, but that generally means just sink and stove.

There are some floorplans that allow you to access the fridge while the roof is down. I do not have one though, and I am like you in that my fridge is completely blocked. Probably one of the more frustrating aspects, but I have learned to live with it. Most of the time I have to pop up before and after a trip so it isn't as big of a problem. I have not yet gotten to the point where my pup is ready to go at a moment's notice.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The nature of the beast, whether a normal height popup or a high wall. If this is an issue for you then your best solution is a full height trailer - hybrid, travel trailer, etc.

Not always - Fleetwood's Sun Valley and lower trim level Tacoma allowed access to the fridge which was located across from the entry door and was not blocked by the galley in the travel position.

[​IMG]

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a Starcraft in the 70s that had a galley that slid out? Did it have a fridge? The Starcraft Swinger...

11. hammb

hammb Member

Man that looks like a real nice layout! I'd love to be able to get to the fridge with the camper closed. My Highwall has a slideout, and when the slide is in there is no way you're getting to the fridge. I've pretty much grown accustomed to putting the camper up to get everything loaded in the few days leading up to the trip, then putting it back up to clean out when we get home. Or if we're going to avoid putting it up when we get home we empty the fridge entirely into a cooler for the trip home. This isn't the end of the world since we always have a cooler anyhow (for the beer!)

Still, it'd be super handy to have access to the fridge without popping the camper up!

12. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I've wondered about an extreme mod of putting the fridge on a strong set of slider rails, and have it slide out. I would allow me access it to fill it up without popping the roof. Mine is not accessible from door. Then again, just easier to pop the roof.

13. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

As others have said, I think there is a model or two of high walls that have a second electric dorm fridge in an outside compartment.

Access to the fridge when closed is a non-negotiable for me. That rules out 95% of pups, but there are a few that work like my current Dutchmen 802. I just need to pop the top an inch to open the door then crawl right to the fridge across from the door. The Rockwood 1950 is another modern floorplan that has access to the fridge since it’s on the opposite side as the flip down galley.

When camping I just set either my dorm fridge or electric cooler outside under the awning for drinks. Food stays in the fridge in the pup.

14. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

We have a rock wood model 2716g that has the two fridges. It’s the one on the right and you can see the access door behind the tire. It is a dorm fridge with a small freezer, but it will only run when hooked up to shore power. the inside fridge is a three way. We usually plug in our camper to our garage a couple days before we head out, then when we head out put a bag of ice in the freezer space and load it up. our trips are usually 4-6 hours and it’s always still cool when we get to our destination, plus it’s really nice putting anything left over in it for the way home because you don’t have to open the camper to access it! 5FE502FF-AFE8-4277-A656-32B112B485A9.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    PopUpSteve and Pommom70 like this.
  15. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

96A6B5F8-4A33-476E-A4B1-54EC874930FB.png 52391BA7-C531-4F14-865B-ADE70E014F49.png We do have to put a bungee across the door for travel because there is no lock on it and it can open.

16. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

My camper has an electric compressor driven 1.9 cubic foot outdoor accessible refrigerator and an indoor ammonia absorption 2.5 cubic foot refrigerator. It's a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  17. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Sorry, forum picture posting software won't work correctly. Just click on my signature link of my 2020 Rockwood camper. My camper isn't a highwall but comes with a 14' box with some added features over the highwalls. The exterior refrigerator, a very large 80" X 50" slide out dinette, a jack knife real sofa in addition to the huge dinette, and a shower with a 'cassette' toilet.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  18. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I've had the same thought, but to slide out into the interior of the camper. The Starflyer has a dorm fridge, and I plan to do some dry camping, so being able to slide out the dorm fridge and putting a cooler in that space would be the Smart Thing To Do when there aren't hookups. Then the cooler could stay out of the way when it wasn't needed, and still easily accessible.

If your pup has external AC outlets, maybe you could plug in a small fridge for things that you might worry about in the cooler. Seriously, there isn't a lot of space in a dorm fridge, and I'll use both fridge and cooler for a 2-person weekender trip.

19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The compressor fridges (with appropriate battery bank/solar) would be good candidates for a slide-either-way mount option, even if I'd need a stepstool to peek into one on the outside. Or a cooler!

When I was looking at new campers before going with a used one (we looked at TTs where the exterior fridge is more common as well as popups) I figured that exterior fridge's spot would immediately become a storage compartment if we got one. We've never camped with hookups. :p