Any needed service for Atwood heaters? I've got a fair amount of black outside

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Spridle, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I sometime wish i was retired and wealthy so i could just drive around the country using the excuse of helping a Portal member.... Can you imagine the stories i could tell!? lol!

2. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Wait...you're not? [:D]

3. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

And probably never will!!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

4. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

http://www.americanenduranceracing.com/

August 14th to 16th. Free admission and camping. Not sure yet if I'm crewing or driving, but a weekend with these guys is pretty much guaranteed to end up with some added stories :)

5. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Is your screen name a Speed Racer reference?

6. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

7. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I'm beginning to think this problem is going to be with me until the camper goes. Last trip out we noticed some soot at the fridge vents and my wife said there was some soot on the pots. Going to blow out the lines and borrow a gauge to make sure the regulator is calibrated correctly.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Have you tried a different propane vendor?

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Maybe there is more than one issue? When the stove wore out (for lack of a better term) in our first pup, the black soot on the pots from one burner was one of the clues. We installed a new drop in stove top and the soot on the pots went away.

10. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Have not tried a different vendor, but I will after these tanks are done.

I would assume I'm chasing multiple problems. I do know the history of the camper and I can say for sure the stove and the fridge were used very little. The fridge was never on propane once until I got it. Original owner didn't even know how to start it. The furnace was a craigslist disaster and I installed it myself so all best off there.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new drop in with the one high output burner.

Heading out shortly to open up and blowout the lines. Check pressure at the regulator. See about blowing out the air tube for the fridge to make sure there's no nests in there.

11. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

At the regulator it's a perfectly steady 11" wc under load. dead on.

Took the cover off to look at the fridge. On high it's mostly blue with a tinge of yellow where the flame runs against the thermo-couple. The flame is pretty high though so I can't see up into the chimney. On low, all blue. Smells like an incomplete burn out the top though.

Stove has a tinge of orange but mostly blue. Seems to have a bit more surging too it than I would expect of a new regulator but it was windy so hard to tell.

I pulled the thermo-couple/igniter thing out of the furnace. Absolutely dead clean. Nothing. Fired it up and from what I can see through the tiny sight glass it's mostly yellow.

I I didn't get to blow the lines out but I probably still will and I'd love to get a pressure reading at the stove. But mostly I think it's time to attempt to find a competent mechanic to look at it. I just don't know enough about what I'm looking at to know what's normal and what's not.

12. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I'm sure you are all anxiously awaiting updates to my blog :)

Yesterday I blew out the lines from the fridge back to the regulator. Didn't see anything come out but it felt like there was a bit of pop of something freeing up. I also took the nozzle completely out of the fridge, blew it all out, blew the chimney out and cleared the slots of a bit of rusty scale.

Looks like the fridge is fixed. Steady and strong light blue flame. Much stronger than before. Absolutely no yellow at all. No smell in the camper. you can smell a bit if you put your face right against the exhaust but that's it.

The stove seems much better too. It will still pulse a bit with all the burners and the furnace running, but much better than it was before.

I don't think the furnace is any different but I need to let it go for a long burn to get a better idea. Have to deal with that one another time.

Long camping trip this weekend so I'll know for sure if the fridge and stove are doing better. As a bonus I finally put brakes on the little beast so when I forget I've got an extra 3000# on board it won't lead to panic filled stopping.

13. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Lovely 8 day camping trip on Vermont lakes. Fridge & stove were perfect. Only soot on the stove was during the initial lighting. Otherwise no soot and much better low flame control than we ever had with that stove.

Downside, found a pretty good crack in the roof under the awning attachment :(

So I'll get it fixed just in time for the rest to all apart! [SUN]

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Sounds like you're making some progress! Glad you got to take 'er out and get some camping done too.

Doesn't it always seem that if it's not one thing, it's another? Hope the leak doesn't cause too much trouble for ya.

15. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Coleman ABS roof so a a crack like that kind of makes it a dead man walking. It is frustrating as we finally have a bunch of things working the way we want. New beds, good brakes, electrical reworked with new dimmable LEDs and a few other things. Ah well. I've already got a plan for the roof that will hopefully keep it on life support for many more years.

16. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Dimmable LEDs meaning the whole fixture was replaced? What part did you use?

17. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Starlights BL-3004 dimming module, which is part of their light system. I did the light, dimmer & nightlight on both ends of the camper. Works great. Some occasional light flicker but it's rare and minimal. lots of flicker when on AC power and only one light on. not enough load apparently.... Two lights on no problem. The nightlight really works great too.