Any New Suggestions for HDTV Antenna

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by micbur, Mar 23, 2010.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I was visiting the forum here searching for suggestions on what is an inexpensive but good HDTV antenna to use while camping. We do not watch TV when camping but be nice to watch the news in the evenings or if raining. The previous topic is over 120 days old so it was suggested to start a new one. In the previous topic it appears that the Philips MANT940 UHF Digital and Analog Indoor/Outdoor Antenna was the item of choice as far as expense and reception quality. Is this still the case or are there any other suggestions? Like to stay around $50-$60 bucks.

2. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

3. micbur

Thanks...that is the one I mentioned in my posting. This is the one suggested in last years topic on this subject. I was just curious if there are any newer technology out there now and can provide better reception. But I am going to check out the Phillips one....

4. micbur

After speaking with several people on this site and off other sites I have decided to try the WINEGARD HD-1080 HDTV High Band VHF Antenna. Seems to have a better range than the Phillips and think it will be better when visiting some of the CG we go to on regular basis. Will let you know what I think. Plan on building the mast to put the antenna on this weekend...wish me luck!!

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I also have a Winegard HD antenna, (I don't know the model number), but it is amplified and it is Omni directional, which means I do not have to worry about adjusting it. I bought it online from a place called Denny's TV antennas and they are a great bunch to deal with.

I rig me up a mount that goes on the back of my cargo rail on my roof. I have the antenna mounted on a 1 and 1/4 inch diameter threaded galvanized pipe. I think the pipe is about 12 inches long. My mount on my cargo rack is a female threaded piece, so I just screw the pipe with the antenna on it into the piece on my cargo rail, and raise the roof.

The range is not as great as I would like it to be, but it does go up to about 50 or 60 miles.

6. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

micbur
    what has been your experience with the WINEGARD? Does it needs lots of adjustment and re-directing when set up?

7. micbur

I have used the antenna twice and both times have been very happy. last time I did have to re-adjust the antenna (just a slight spin to another direction) to pick up better reception of a couple of stations. I would probably use the Phillips antenna sold at Wal-mart as it is smaller and easier to carry camping than the Winegard

[2C]

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We never had much luck with any of the mentioned antennas, but when we took our new 15" digital TV, we had a antenna DW picked up at Big Lots for $10 and we had reception. This was at Dover Speedway where we never had any luck with our old TV. We had a converter box with our old TV, but still no luck. We have since given it away to a fellow pupper. Maybe it's having a newer TV made the difference. We will take our Phillips indoor-outdoor next time and see what we get.

9. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

any experience with the WINEGARD RS2000 ?

10. turtle

turtle New Member

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I use the site above to locate the direction for my Phillips. I usually check it and print it so when I get to the site I get my compass out and set the direction. As far as the antenna goes it's ok but we usually don't get as many stations as we thought even being only 30 miles from main stations antennas. The bummer about digital is you get it or not. B4 digital we could get more stations with maybe some interference but watchable.