Any other single parents pup camping?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by pcgeekess, Aug 24, 2014.

1. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

I love camping with my boys 9 & 11. Able to set up and put down fairly well by myself. Only tough when the campground has a bunch of stuff for them to do and I am alone at the site. Sometimes wish I had friends that camp with their own camper. Love being single so I can choose by myself to camp or clean house (camping has won all summer this year) but wouldn't mind having someone else back the dang thing up [:D]. Anyone else with the same joys and woes as me?

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I am a single dad to an amazing little boy. We go camping a lot!! Check my signature!! I am always getting bailed on by friends that say they want to camp. I have even resorted to putting up a personal ad on craigslist to find a camping partner. I have met up with a few, not camping, but so far I have not camped with other friends other than a couple of nights. But Rallys are fun!!!

3. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

We regularly camp with a group of friends from our church. Our next trip is in 5 weeks. There are 7 families going.

4. Jimmy the rug

Jimmy the rug New Member

I know what you mean about having friends camping with you, My friends never go anywhere, I always meet people camping

5. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I think the odds of you finding another single parent at the campground would be slim. You are definitely right in that it would be good to find someone to camp with (before you leave). Always nice to sit around the campfire at night when the kids are all put down and talk.

Good luck to you.

Vin.

6. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I raised my 2 daughters for 12 years alone, at that point we did not have a Pup, we tent camped. We even tent camped on a glassier in Iceland, it was a BLAST! My girls are grown up now with kids of their own, and they still talk about the times we went camping. We also did a lot of 4 wheeling (not the little 4wheelers, the full size trucks) when we lived in Florida. We would 4 wheel out to remote beaches in Pensacola FL. and tent camp all weekend. [CP] [:)C]

Now my GF (of 18 years) doesn't like to sleep on the ground, so..... pup.... now Hybrid, who knows what's next?? [?:~{] [?:~{] [HYC] [PUT]

7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Yep!

8. Breila

Breila New Member

I'm not single, and we just got our pup, but I have already planned a few trips that the DH has no desire to join us on (he's not much of an outdoorsman). So it will be me and my 3 boys quite often.

When we've had cabins in the past, they would take off on afternoon hikes and I would relax and read. I plan on much the same routine when pup camping.

9. Samanthaj79

Samanthaj79 New Member

Ohhh how do I understand how you are feeling!! I'm the single mom who will not be held back by not having someone to do it for me. But when my 2 dd's are involed in the activities or tucked in to bed for the night it can get really, really lonely. One can only read so many books or take the dog for a walk so much! As for running into other single parents camping, good luck I have yet to see this! The way I look at, not having a companion will not stop me from camping because my girls love it so much, as do I. Besides I am creating memories and experiences for them! Maybe someday there will be someone to accompany us but until then, camp on!

10. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I do not fall into the single parent category but may have some helpful input. My DW will camp with one of her girlfriends whose DH is not able to camp due to work commitments. The ladies both have a good time and it allows the kids to camp when we the DHs either have to work or show up later than they want to leave.

11. zonianbrat

zonianbrat New Member

I'm not exactly single but I take my 3 kiddos camping by myself a lot. 7 times this summer to be exact. It can be a bit challenging at times but it is still worth it 1000 times over. My kids are 4, 6 and 9 and the hardest part is getting them to help set up and break down camp!

12. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

I know the feeling though single and no kids. I don't let that stop me either. Though at times it would be nice to have someone talk to by the lake, yet friends usually too busy for a camping excursions. I rather be on the back roads than sitting infront of the video games and such.

13. katm

katm New Member

Single mom here, too. When I first became single, a friend invited my daughters and I to camp with them at Assateague State Park. Seven years later, we are still camping and loving it. Sometimes we camp with friends and family and sometimes just the three of us. We love it!

14. Lewis

Lewis Member

Single dad here. My now 17 yr. old DD and I camp as much as we can. It is nice to camp but like others here it would be nicer to have another grown up around.

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I'm single with a girlfriend... I camped [PU] alone a lot with my kids before I met my girlfriend. In fact we are going camping this weekend at Leo Carrillo State park in CA this Labor Day weekend [CP] [PU] [TV].

16. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

But no camping for me till next year, the pup is under reconstruction (I'll post my progress.) My camping trailer is being used to store the pup's canvas. I guess I could build a frame and a top to go tent camping with half a pup [:D]. Anyways even the reconstruction a slow process solo but doables except when time to put the top and canvas back on theni can get my dad to help out.

17. Adam Roby

Adam Roby New Member

I am married with a 4 year old daughter, but my wife works weekends and evenings so I feel like a single father most of the time. We went on our first camping trip last weekend with my wife (she took some time off work) and she absolutely hated it.

Labor day weekend is upon us but most camp sites are jam packed. I may try next weekend to go alone with my daughter to see how that goes. I think it would be much more relaxing being 2 people alone who are enjoying themselves rather than having one person always moaning and groaning and pulling everyone else down.

I am going to the country tomorrow to scout a parcel of land that is for sale. If things work out, I may make an offer and setup my PUP there on a more permanent basis (off grid, get the solar panel thing going, etc.)

18. Vfmedic

Vfmedic New Member

Yep I know the feeling. 40 year old divorced dad with 3 little girls. 4,5 and 7 years old. They absolutely love camping. Have gone 4 times this summer in a tent. Me, the three girls and a 102lb chocolate lab. Now that was fun! Just bought a NTM pup and taking it out tomorrow on our first voyage. It will be a learning experience I'm sure. But yes there are single parents out there who camp with kids....I just bring lots of beer and food. Haha. Good luck to everyone. It will give our kids memories that can never be taken away. :)

19. kcbug

kcbug New Member

My husband is self-employed and cannot always go with us (16 dd and 11 yr old ds) We do a good job (I think!) And I am always proud of us and how we have had to make do sometimes. We had a flooded site and had a little ditch to drain away the water and used stones to get the fire out of the water. Still too wet to sit around and enjoy the fire but at least I could cook on it. Hubby was pleased and surprised, I think, at my ingenuity. :)

20. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

I am divorced and as such - - bought a pop-up camper that I wanted for years and DDH (dear-divorced husband) didn't want to get one! I camp with my geo-caching wonder dog, Bella [DOG]! Bella & I have camped alone 3 times since getting my pop-up back in March. Sometimes, one of my friends will go but if they can't I don't let it stop me. But I agree, it's nice to camp with someone else. I wished we had a campers group in my area. Hmmm.....maybe I should start one!! :grin: