any 'preferred' method to bunk end canvas folding?

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by TDS-MN, Sep 23, 2014.

1. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Hey All,

Curious if anyone has ever been told the 'rights and wrongs' of folding up the bunk end canvas when breaking down camp? I've tried a few different approaches, and while they have all worked well enough, I find that getting everything compressed and the roof latched down, requires varying amounts of 'coaxing' to get the latches all the way down.

I have been curious if anyone has ever been given any direction, either at purchase, or ???, as to a preferred approach, that lets the canvas lay as flat as possible? Maybe it never gets any better than what I'm doing, but you never know unless you ask. . . .

2. dcbain

dcbain New Member

I've recently found that it's a lot easier if you don't try to fold the canvas and the end hoops together. I now put the hoops down first then fold the canvas second; the canvas then folds much more neatly.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm curious about the answers as well. There have been times the only way to fully attach the latches was when I had my little sidekick walk on the roof to each corner. Not a good way of doing it but she was only 35 pounds and the roof solid. I know I must have been doing something wrong when folding up but I taught myself on it as no one showed me what to do. I tried folding the ends in like wrapping a package then tried stuffing. I found a combination of both seemed to work. Using a broom to stuff the canvas further into the center.

4. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I allow the end frame to drop with the canvas around it, then tuck in the sides. I find the deeper I can get the canvas in, not bunching it up, allows me to latch the sides better.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We found if we put the hoops down first, lower the roof about 1/2 way and then as far as we could reach (try to) fold the canvas and continue lowering the roof ...

6. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I got a tip from the portal a few years ago thatI find helpful. Separate the hoops from the canvas, then use a kitchen broom, bristles toward the canvas, to push the canvas in from the ends. Since we have a high side, this helps us get a lot more reach. We never have a problem closing the roof, even though the latch hooks are screwed all the way in. We have the broom anyway, to sweep out the pup and the mat in front.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

I've found it easiest to drop the hoops first then fold the ends like an old style paper grocery bag.

8. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I'm still at least a week away from picking up my PUP so forgive my ignorance. I have set up a PUP once at a dealership so that I know the basics of how it's done and have watched a few videos online, but I don't know what the term "hoops" is referring to. Can someone please describe or post an image explaining what these "hoops" are that everyone keeps mentioning?

9. MIlover

MIlover Member

I was about to post a similar question regarding our Utah, and then found this new post. Our Utah is a great pup, but getting her down and latched is so difficult! There are always one or two corners that are exceedingly difficult to latch, and we try to tuck the canvas as neatly as possible.

The PO advised us to have someone crawl on top of the bunks after they were slid inside the pup, to better pull the canvas in and tuck it away. I'm not sure that would be great for the slides, so haven't done so. Any thoughts on that technique?

I'm also wondering if a minor roof adjustment might be needed, though the corners don't appear to be off. Could minor roof height inconsistencies be a cause of problems for those of us with canvas folding/pop down issues?

10. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

When I used to stow our memory foam topper on top of the beds, I would turn it front to back and split the front/back bunk with it, leaving a space around the edge for the canvas.

This is what I did, and it worked well. This would apply to those without a memory foam topper as well, as it really helped eliminate having to "encourage" any particular corner. I always found that once the canvas settles, the roof latches were loose and needed tightening anyways.. I would check them a few miles down the road, and never once id I not have to tighten them up a bit. Forcing them down before the canvas is compressed can rip the latches out of the side of the roof, depending on how tight you have them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

adrian,
    The "HOOPS" are the metal pipes bent into an upside down U shape that suppurt the canvas for the top of the bunkends. usually pivot at the bottom and lay flat on the matresses.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's the way we do it... Although I don't really "fold" it as much as I just make sure it isn't all bunched up together. We've had no issues latching the roof.

13. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Stiff bristled broom helps a bunch.

14. MIlover

MIlover Member

Does anyone get inside their pup after the beds are slid in, and pull the canvas in from the inside? Would it be bad for the bunk slide tracks?

15. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

If you can reach it from the outside (I can, but I am also tall), there is no benefit to getting there and jumping on top of the beds uncomfortably. Pulling from the inside isn't much different than pushing from the outside, in my opinion.

16. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Thanks for the reply with PHOTOS, KMH!

I guess what I've been doing is similar to what everyone else does for the most part. I was simply concerned that the little bit of 'persuasion' that I've needed to get the corners latched was outside of the normal or allowed amount.

I had read in the manual to not push down, I'm sure to eliminate the chance of buggering up the lift system. I have always made sure that the crank was down enough to slack the cables a bit before latching each corner, just in case.

I have been able to reach in at the door opening, and pull the bulk of the canvas towards the trailer center. I have tried packing with the bottom edge of the bunk canvas along the outer edge of the mattress, and I've tried with the bottom edge of canvas pulled inboard as far as allowed. Have not really noticed one approach being more effective than the other, and was curious what others have tried.

Thanks all for the input and discussion.

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I always push down each corner. It's only a little bit, not even an inch, and I make sure the cable has a little slack in it to be safe. I have a Goshen lift which may or may not make a difference.

18. Sterman

Sterman Member

Mine is always a challenge, because I have a 1" memory foam topper and I leave my popup gizmos on and tuck them in with the tenting.
    I have to tuck everything in, then lower the roof, stopping a few times to retuck. When the roof is down as far as it will go, I let it set awhile so it settles before latching.

19. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

That is a good point. On the rare occasion that I have partly raised the roof, I found that it went back down much easier, as the majority of the canvas had settled or been compressed. I have not yet had the luxury of time to let it settle like that prior to latching, but I can see where that would probably make a difference.

I guess I was worrying needlessly, either that or we all have some closure issues. [PUC]

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

This actually made me laugh:

http://youtu.be/4dwK8z6NNx0?t=8m16s

Here I've been doing it wrong for years! Evidently, you just push in the bunks and let the chips fall as they may until you've lowered the roof 1/2 way down. Then you cram it all in haphazardly, lower the roof the rest of the way and make sure the latches are tight! Easy, peazie! [LOL] [LOL]