Any pups made for outside storage?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Eric the Red, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Eric the Red

Eric the Red 03 Viking Legend 2480 93 Chevy 1500

As much as we think of popups as outdoor recreation items, they really aren't manufactured to endure long term exposure to elements. Now for folks with excess garage space, that isn't a problem, but for the rest of us, it means dealing with moisture, rot, sun damage, etc. Any pups better than others when it comes to outside storage?

2. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

You need to do less maintenance if you store it in a garage but they are designed to be outside. If you store it out in the elements you just have to check on the seals and caulk, etc. I'm just taking a guess but I bet 75% of popups and TT's and RV's are kept outside.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Mine is.

4. JT2

JT2 Member

Actually, they are. Manufacturers are well aware that a Pup will spend way-more time closed than open, and design accordingly. If you give them reasonable care and feeding, most units hold up very
    well. Our '88 Pup still looks quite presentable and has never lived indoors.

Heh, you'd probably lose. I'd guess it closer to 95%...

/JT

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My pop up was bought brand new back in 1991 and only saw a garage for one month in all it's years. I just brought the trailer to the shop the other day and they couldn't believe how good of shape it was in. With that said I learned the hard way what happens if you don't maintain the calking but other than that it's great. I never covered it and sat in a field at the storage place the whole time. It sat unused/unopened for two years. That's when I discoverd a water leak from the calking and some ants made a new home in it. As long as you air the trailer once in awhile, not fold it down wet and maintain calking etc they are designed to last. It's mold and pesky critters that will be your nemesis.

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I will start this year to cover it because it is a pain to clean the roof every season. I'll bet the caulk will last longer.
    [​IMG]

7. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Mine is kept outside. I have covered it since new with an ADCO breathable cover. I also treat it with 303 Protectant at least twice a year.

My old pup died from rot, but it was about 25 years old. That's pretty good in my book. It was pretty well cared for by the first owner well they used it, but they bought a class A and the pup sat out in the yard for about ten years with no maintenance. When I bought it from him, I was 18 and had no idea how to care for it. It still lasted me for a few good years.

We're out at a campground now with the 2013 Palomino. I was telling my wife that I'll be happy as long as it is still in good shape by he time we pay it off. By then, the kids will be 6 and 10 (we will probably pay it off a little faster) and we will probably be ready for something larger.

8. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I have never stored my pop ups inside. Good maintenance, which should be done spring and fall. All the units held up well including one I kept in the mountains at 8500 feet for 17 years. [8D] [PUC] [PUT]

9. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Yeah, I think 95% is a closer % as well but I didn't want to derail the thread and start to debate that. I don't think anyone will argue with 75% and that works well for this discussion.

10. skiball

skiball New Member

Our pups previous owners kept our 2003 Colemal Westlake in a garage from new to last year when we bought it. Last year was the first year it spent the winter outdoors. This year, I found a limestone mine that has a climate controlled (No worries about mold) underground storage space. People keep RV's to vintage autos there, year round. Our pup will spend the winter there from mid November to mid April from now on. Last year, all I did was worry about mold, mice and snow load. Yes, I swept the snow off, but one night there was a bad ice storm followed by a big snowfall. I just couldn't get the ice/snow mix all off. It was like a heavy white solid carpet over the cover we had over the camper. Never again. I'll pay a few $$ for peace of mind...

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Mine goes into underground storage as well
    But i dont use the climate controlled. Just unconditional section so they call it. Constant 53 degrees year round bit humidity levels can vary somewhat. I put two or three large damp rid containers in it and forget about it all winter. Three years now and never had a problem yet. Comes out clean as the day i put it away

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Our fourteen year old Coleman has spent its life outside.

13. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Mine stays outside all summer. I'm lucky enough to get free indoor storage year round but it's 30 miles away so unjust use it during the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Caulking, Caulking, and more caulking. It is all about the maintenance, and being very diligent with maintaining all seals and caulking.

Did I mention caulking?

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Ours lives outside, as did our previous one. We usually cover it in the off-season with an ADCO breathable cover, mostly to keep a lot of the bird dropping, sap and general dirt off of it. I wash it well at the beginning of the season and give it a good UV protectant application then; I do both if/when I get a chance during the season. We live at 6,000', so the sun exposure can be an issue.

16. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

What kind of UV protectant do you put on the roof to help?

17. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I will say that for anyone in areas that get snow or ice, it is worth every cent of inside storage or a storage unit for the winter months. No matter what you do, a snowload on the roof of a camper, melting slowly off of the roof, seems to find its way into places it shouldn't, leading to the potential for water damage.

18. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

I've read that you should wax it and read that you shouldn't. Kind of confusing when you want to do the right thing. Our PO kept the PUP in the garage. Washed it down meticulously every time he used it. I want to get a cover for it, but have read that might cause issues. We don't have garage room for it, but do store it indoors at the fairgrounds for the winter.

19. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I can't think of any reason why a good coat of the right wax would be a bad thing for it.. Covers, I have read, are not necessarily the best for them, and I personally wouldn't use one. [2C]

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not using covers is highly bashed. I cover mine and have covered many outside things for 50 years. How can a little trapped moisture be worse than sitting in the weather all winter?