Any Ram, Jeep, or Other Chrysler Owners Part of Recall?

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
Chrysler tells us that our 2012 Ram VIN does not have a recall on it. Has anyone else checked into theirs? We're going to also check with the dealer.

JustMePatrick

Jun 24, 2013
Re: Any Ram, Jeep, or Other Chrysler Owners Part of Recall?

It will take time before your added to any database as they will have to I'd which vehicles/vins are included(that have the failing part), then they've got to make the fixed part(s) available to the dealer.

It may only be a specific lots of a certain part that is failing that was made during a certain time period.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Most of them are "buy backs" not recalls... Going to take awhile to get all 500,000 plus vins into the system...

sgip2000

Jun 16, 2010
Hillsboro, OR
I read that the Jeep owners only get $1000 over market value toward a new vehicle. Sucks for those people. Just put a receiver hitch on and call it good. Or, replace the plastic tank with a metal one.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
sgip2000 said:
I read that the Jeep owners only get $1000 over market value toward a new vehicle. Sucks for those people. Just put a receiver hitch on and call it good. Or, replace the plastic tank with a metal one.

Do you really think it will be better for the owners of newer trucks? You have the Federal government, a car manufacturer, and car dealers that get to resell the vehicles involved in this. That's 3 entities I trust fully.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
Here is a thought, and maybe any accountants in here can speak up and correct me if I am wrong because it has been a while since I had any accounting classes: doesn't normal business equipment depreciate after something as little as 5 years? Point is what I believe I heard was the "buy back" was for the full purchase price of the Ram Trucks minus depreciation on the affected 08-12 trucks. So at minimum by that business model you have at least 3 years of depreciation, if not full depreciation which to me means they view your 2010 and older Ram fully depreciated and having no value at all. Watch this one closely, it will be interesting to see how this one turns out in the end. Also, as for the time frame, we have an 05 Honda Civic with the defective airbags that have been recalled for a year and a half ish and we just got our official notice that it was on the recall list YESTERDAY. Don't expect to see your truck on the list anytime soon.

Yak

Super Active Member
Apr 18, 2009
Old_Geezer said:
Do you really think it will be better for the owners of newer trucks? You have the Federal government, a car manufacturer, and car dealers that get to resell the vehicles involved in this. That's 3 entities I trust fully.

If they are involved in a buy=back the units don't get resold. Ford bought a bunch of Windstars back a few years ago, titles were branded and they went to a yard

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Yak said:
If they are involved in a buy=back the units don't get resold. Ford bought a bunch of Windstars back a few years ago, titles were branded and they went to a yard

Yak, this time they can be resold. This is a direct quote from the NHTSA consent order.

"FCA US may remedy and resell any vehicle repurchased under this paragraph."

Furthermore this is an interesting paragraph.

"Specifically, the revision will include an alternative to the repair remedy with respect to unremedied vehicles in each of these campaigns. The alternative remedy will be an offer to eligible owners to refund the purchase price paid by the first purchaser of the vehicle for purposes other than resale, less a reasonable allowance for depreciation, and not including the cost of modifications made to the vehicle after first retail sale ("the Purchase Price"). FCA US will additionally offer a premium of 10% above the Purchase Price to any owner of an unremedied vehicle electing this alternative remedy"

http://www.safercar.gov/rs/chrysler/index.html

real lite virgin

Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab
Apr 15, 2010
I might be wrong on this but my understanding is you can have your vehicle repaired or you can have it bought back at $1000.00 over fair market value. If you choose the buy back it is applied to the purchase of a new Chrysler vehicle. The reason the vehicles can be resold is because they are repairable.

Rob

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Robs Doghouse said:
I might be wrong on this but my understanding is you can have your vehicle repaired or you can have it bought back at $1000.00 over fair market value. If you choose the buy back it is applied to the purchase of a new Chrysler vehicle. The reason the vehicles can be resold is because they are repairable.

Rob

That only applies to the 93 to 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. You can either trade it in and receive an incentive of $1000 over fair market value on another Fiat product (I assume as it does not specifically say that only "trade in) OR have it repaired and get a $100 gift card.

99-04 Jeep GC and 02-07 Jeep Liberty your only option is to have inspected/repaired and get a $100 gift card.

The RAM trucks are the buybacks, For those it's;

"The alternative remedy will be an offer to eligible owners to refund the purchase price paid by the first purchaser of the vehicle for purposes other than resale, less a reasonable allowance for depreciation, and not including the cost of modifications made to the vehicle after first retail sale ("the Purchase Price"). FCA US will additionally offer a premium of 10% above the Purchase Price to any owner of an unremedied vehicle electing this alternative remedy"

all the details are in the link I posted above. Click on consent order or Chrysler FAQ in the first paragraph.

Hey, if your rear ended you could explode and die, here....have a gift card [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]