Any suggestions on a good Campground near the beach in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by ladyoil, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ladyoil

ladyoil New Member

Hello Everyone,

Any suggestions on a good Campground near the beach in North Carolina?

A friend called today. They just got a pop up a few days ago around the same time as we did. We have always gone camping in tents before so not sure where to go now with the pop up.

They really want a campground with water and electricity. They prefer the Carolina Beach area, but I think any nice Campground near the beach would be good. Any suggestions? We will each be on our own pop up... there will be 2 adults and 2 kids per family.

We are both looking forward use our pop up for the first time. :D

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I can't help you with the beach since I stay away from them. :)
    But welcome from New Jersey.

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

There is Carolina Beach State Park but the sites do not have electricity. You can come to Swansboro and stay at Cedar Point CG in Croatan NF. You will only be 3 miles from Emerald Isle. For campground reviews check out this forum: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=338.0 Just know that it is going to be hard to get into anywhere as the weather/beach season is upon us.

4. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Unfortunately, NC does not have many campgrounds on the beach that I'm aware of, with the exception of the Outer Banks. There is Holiday Trav-L-Park at Emerald Isle, but it is an RV park and pricey. Speckhunter's suggestion is a good one. Ocean Waves is nice if you want to drive all the way to the Outer Banks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. ladyoil

ladyoil New Member

Thank you speckhunter80 and fallsrider. :) We will definitely take a look at the ones you have suggested. We usually camp (every year, this will be our 22nd year) at Edisto Beach State Park (on the beach loop) in SC. We love it there. My parents took us and now my brothers and I take our kids. I guess when I picture any other place I have that stuck in my mind. I am looking to visit other places and explore them with our kids. I mean, we will still go to Edisto Beach State Park but looking forward to visit new places as well.

My kids are so excited I am having a hard time keeping them out of the pop up. :D

6. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Hey all you NC campers! Don't forget to check out the NC Spring Rally coming up in May, link at the bottom of this post. It will be in Cape Hatteras next year for its 5th anniversary. [PU]

7. ladyoil

ladyoil New Member

So, what goes on at those rallies? Any activities? What sort of things are there for kids to enjoy in the park? I will discuss it with hubby and will bring it up with our friends, whom also purchased a pop up recently, but I would like to be able to give them more details. Never been to Falls Lake CG either.. so no idea what is there. Sorry. :(

8. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

Ladyroll I just made reservations tonight for Apr 5-12 next year on site 9 at Edisto SP. I'm so excited. I went to HHI this year and want to share the beach with my kids and grandkids so am wanting to camp it. Can you share some info and tips for that area with me?

9. ladyoil

ladyoil New Member

Hello DLynn44,

That's great!! I love Edisto Beach. Site #9 is right by the dunes.. and those sites are usually smaller than the other ones. No matter which site you have as long as you are on the Beach Loop you are never too far from the beach which is accessible by the beach access between the dunes.

There is a small Piggly Wiggly grocery store but it has a nice deli and it is well stocked for the size of it. Next to the grocery store there is also a gas station which has a subway inside. Behind the Piggly Wiggly there is a small strip with a pizza place, some gift shops, an ice cream place and a candy store. Nearby there are several restaurants as well. Before getting to the park/island you will pass a post office, a small library, some shops and eating places etc. In that area there are many spots to visit and explore as well.

We usually stay near the park area but there are many things to do nearby such as the Serpertarium (which houses and exhibits alligators, snakes and other reptiles) but I do not think it is open in April. :( You can also visit the Edisto Island Museum and learn about the history in the area.

We like hitting the trails, exploring and just watching the wild life around us. My kids favorite part is seeing the loggerhead sea turtles that come to lay their eggs on the beach..... My kids love to "run" the camp with the other kids and have a great time every year.

When we go camping we "unplug"..there is no TV or electronics allowed (except for my laptop..and only because I may need it from time to time for an emergency at work since I work online from home) but there is a wi-fi room in the park for the campers to use which is next to the ranger station.

We use this time to enjoy what is around us and each other.... we enjoy that but others may not. My kids' pediatrician took his kids there one year and they left 2 days later....he said his kids were bored and wanted to go home. Those are the only people I have know that have not loved it there. Everyone we have taken in the 20+ years we have been going there have really liked it and returned.

10. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

Thanks so much for the info! I can't imagine being bored sitting on the beach [emoji7] I'm really excited and I know my grandkids will love it. Can we see the ocean from site 9? I am dreaming of laying in my bed being able to lookout at water.

I went to HHI this past spring break and loved that but I can't afford to take the whole family there. I can handle the campsite fees and I prefer my camper over the condo.

Seeing dolphins and turtles could put me over the edge! Lol

11. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

So I just noticed in the FAQ's section "no alcohol" how strictly do they enforce this?? [emoji16]

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

LadyOil, Sorry no one answered you about the Rally's, This coming weekend is an Official Rally at Falls Lake, never been to the place, but know there is a kids fishing tournament deal going on, and believe there is a playground. We have camped with most of the folks going and am sure you would have a good time. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=472.0
    Also this weekend ourselfs and a few other folks are meeting up at Kings Mountain SP just over the border in SC. 2 lakes to kayak and fish, large playground, hiking trails, a 1800 living history village and a military park to keep the youngins busy....
    AND.... to add, the Sewer.....Keep you eye open for this Rally in N Wilkesboro in Oct.....Awesome only begins to describe it. Rotnmom has arranged a great Rally there. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=66066.0

As for Edisto, our Daughters at Hunting island right now, Heads to Edisto tomorrow, and meeting us at Kings friday

13. RABID59

RABID59 Member

We go to Lanier's in Surf City alot, not much shade unless you can get into the red area. They do have a nice pool, store, & showers. Going to try Goose Creek RV resort next which is located in Newport N.C. Both of these are sound side campgrounds, but a short drive will get you to the ocean.

14. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

There is a KOA on Cape Hateras that has been fully renovated with modern cabins and a huge pool, since the last hurricane.

15. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Rabid, Any recommendations for things to do around there other than the beach? Good places to eat and visit?
    Booked a week in June!! Never been. Getting anxious to go..

Spent a while looking for a NC beach campground w/ elec. The ones in the Outer Banks are very pricey! And then start to nickel and dime you on top of that. More than 2 people is extra $, and so on. [V]
    Found Lanier's and the price was right, only 2 miles from the ocean, place to put in my kayak. So looked good to me.

16. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

My wife and I tent camped at "Rodanthe Watersports and Campground" http://www.watersportsandcampground.com/ while on our get married/honeymoon trip around NC several years ago. It is on the sound side of the outer banks and was a reasonably priced, small, clean campground with plenty to do in a short drive or walk depending on what you are up for. There was a fishing pier nearby on the ocean side that was fun and was probably a 5 minute walk from the campground. Also a small general store nearby as well. Camp staff was laid back and it was a pretty relaxed atmosphere there in early June. I'm sure you could give them a call and work out all the details if it looked like a good fit for your trip.

Also worth noting - if you are arriving from the north, be sure to take a day trip south on hwy 12 to Ocracoke Island. The ferry ride there and back is fun if you've never done that before, and there is lots of shopping, eating, touristy stuff to do on Ocracoke.

Wherever you end up staying, have fun and report back on what you all did!

17. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Not much to do in Surf City or Topsail Island except fish and lay out on the beach. There is the Bumble Bee Museum and the Jean Beasley Turtle Hospital. 12 miles or so south on Hwy 17 is a Civil War plantation called Poplar Grove. Another 20 or so miles and there is Wilmington. Lots of things to do there. Battleship USS North Carolina, Fort Fisher, Airlie Gardens, tours of the movie studio....

If you come back to eastern NC I would highly recommend Cedar Point Campground in Croatan Forest in Cape Carteret, NC much much nicer. For some reason starting July 1 they are going back to the old FCFS system with no reservations.