Any tips for carlsbad caverns?

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by skeetercampsintexas, Mar 2, 2016.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

We are headed out to carlsbad caverns the last week in july. We won't be taking the pup or any other camper for that matter :-( family just would rather rent some place (Boo these people!!) At any rate, any tips for the area? We plan on going to roswell because we're all geeks [LOL] but anyone have any other places to hit on the week long trip?

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Don't stand in front of Carlsbad Caverns at 8:15 PM.

3. Ram Freezy

Ram Freezy Member

Skeeter,

Indy did a nice write up of her trip out that way a few years ago...

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74982.msg687609#msg687609

We covered some of the same spots on our Spring Break trip in 2014.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=81207.msg788881#msg788881

We stayed at Brantley Lake SP, which would be a good base camp, but you're not camping. Drove right past Davis Mountains and Balmorhea on the way but didn't have time to stop. Those are possibilities along with Guadalupe and White Sands.

Have a great trip and stay cool.

4. 4x4ihscouter

4x4ihscouter New Member

Just a heads up. The elevator at the caverns has been closed for months now. You will have to hike down and back out which for some IS DIFFICULT. I was there three weeks ago and it was still closed but was able to hike out without dying. Call park for updates.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Remember steer clear of the caverns at 8:15PM or.... I'll let you find out.

6. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

My sons' new Boy Scout Troop is hosting their family camp at Carlsbad this Memorial Day, so I'll be heading that way soon enough. Was thinking of breaking up the trip in two pieces heading down from Denver. Thanks for the 8:15 tip, I'll have the boy stand there & give us a report...

7. Turfit

Turfit New Member

We did the same Thanksgiving 2016, Brantley Lake State Park is nice campground with electric and water with good showers. Spent a few days hiking and touring Guadalupe Mountain National Park, Roswell, and the Caverns. When we went to the caverns, 2 of the 4 elevators were working. The lines were long to get back up on the elevators but still worth it!! :) Carlsbad has a very nice Zoo that is pretty cheap and Roswell has a Zoo that is free.

8. sublime5981

sublime5981 New Member

For others who may plan a visit to the caverns during summer, my advice is to go later in the afternoon. I've been twice during the summer and on a Saturday even, no wait for the elevator. It's more convenient for staying to watch the bats also since, you won't have a lot of time to kill with nothing to do. The visitor center and gift shop will be closed by 5pm. I also suggest bringing your own food/drinks, no matter what time of year you go. There are very few options/conveniences outside the park and Whites City basically shuts down after dark. On that note, check a map for your departure route and plan accordingly for gas. For example, there is literally nothing but 130+ miles of road between Whites City and El Paso. On a fun note, bring a postcard or letter to mail from inside the cavern. It will be postmarked accordingly.