Any tips on troubleshooting water pump in PUP?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by PammyM, May 30, 2018.

1. PammyM

PammyM Member

Hello all. I bought my first camper last fall, a 2013 Rockwood 1940 LTD PUP. The previous owners babied this PUP and it looks awesome. Had a few issues which I was able to resolve. Have really been enjoying camping in the PUP after 30 years in tents.

The one remaining issue that I haven't been able to figure out yet, is the fresh water tank. We have two dry camping weekends planned in the next month. No water heater in this PUP. Just a small 11 or so gallon fresh water tank. Haven't been able to get the water flowing from the fresh water tank with the water pump. The previous/original owner said they never used the sink or the water tank (his wife was skeeved out when she saw the pink antifreeze coming out of the faucet so never wanted to touch the water coming out of the sink). The sink looks like it was never used so I believe them. I think the water was tested at some point (possibly at the factory?), and never properly winterized. There was a cracked piece of plastic in the sink plumbing. I replaced the plumbing from the sink drain to the outside of the PUP so that was resolved. I also found a cracked filter cover on the water pump on the fresh water tank, and replaced that. There was some crap floating in about an inch of water in the fresh water tank so I flushed the tank several times with water, and a cup of bleach. I topped off the water tank and turned on the water pump and it immediately turns on, but it never pushes any water to the sink. I don't see it leaking anywhere. I have the PUP disconnected from city water, I leave the faucet closed for 5 or 10 minutes with the water pump running, and then try to open the fresh water tank faucet only, but not a drip of water comes out. I don't see any obvious holes in the hose from the water tank to the faucet but some of the hose is not in clear view. The connections to the fresh water tank seems secure. I've watched a few youtube videos but really not sure where the most likely problem is and where to start. Do I start taking apart the pump and looking for a punctured or torn diaphragm, or a hole in the hose from the tank to the faucet or ??? Any suggestions or ideas of what the problem would most likely be and where to start? Not sure it's worth a trip to the RV repair shop for the fresh water tank which I would probably only use to wash hands and a few light dishes, unless it has to go in at some point for something else.

Thanks, Pam

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Pozi

Pozi Member

To me it sounds like a pump issue. If you say that the PUP was never properly winterized ~ the pump could have been damaged due to the freezing/thawing process. Also the water pump should never run for 5-10 minutes. They have a built in pressure sensor that will automatically turn off the pump when the pressure builds up; which is what makes me believe the pump is shot.

Do you get water out of the faucet while hooked to city water?

PammyM likes this.
  3. PammyM

PammyM Member

Thanks Pozi. Probably not worth replacing the pump if that’s what it is. I’ll at least open it up and take a peak at the diaphragm. Yes, the water works fine out of the faucet when hooked up to city water. Thanks for the response.
    Pam

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You can buy repair kits for most pumps, you might want to check on this...

PammyM likes this.
  5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Most common problem is the pump sucking air.

Any sputtering at all? If you have a water heater it may be filling before you get water at the faucet.

PammyM likes this.
  6. PammyM

PammyM Member

No sputtering at all and no water heater. Thanks. Pam.

7. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

My 3 guesses.
    1- when you replaced the filter cover, did you replace the cover or whole filter assembly? Some filters and/or filter housing are one way flow. Some have a check ball in them, thus if installed backwards, they won't flow.

2- being a 2013 pump and not used, the diaphragm or impeller wheel has gotten hard and broke. We use little transfer pumps, very much like your RV pump at my work. If not flushed coming out of mothballs, the antifreeze will sometimes be gummy and the shaft will break free in the rubber impeller. The pump will constantly run and not flow.

3- the filter or pump suction is plugged.

4- not a guess, but based on Customer's idea. If your pump is not mounted at the bottom of the tank, like the floor, then it won't flood prime when the tank is full. That means the hose and connections to the suction side of the pump need to be good and tight so they don't draw air.

Good Luck

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    PammyM likes this.
  8. PammyM

PammyM Member

Hi Arruba

I believe I took the easy way out and only replaced the filter cover. I wonder if maybe the filter assembly has a crack that I didn’t notice. I’ll try replacing the whole thing. I did save the new filter assembly.

The pump is located near the floor at the bottom of the tank.

I’ll check the daphram and assembly wheel.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll update this thread if I can figure it out

Pam

9. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Good luck

PammyM likes this.
  10. Barry J Morris

Barry J Morris New Member

pammyM,
    was wondering if you got water flowing. I purchased 2007 Rockwood Premier having same problem.

11. PammyM

PammyM Member

Hi Barry. I couldn’t isolate the problem with the pump so I replaced it with a new one I bought on Amazon for $67 with free shipping. It only took 5 minutes to replace it and now I have working water from my fresh water reservoir for dry camping. I think the camper wasn’t properly winterized and something inside the pump broke. I took it apart to check the diaphragm but that looked ok. Didn’t see any loose hose connections or any leaks so took a chance and replaced the pump. Cheaper to replace the pump than taking it in for a repair.
    Good luck.
    Pam