Any tips or tricks in Straightening Out a Rear Bumper?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by davekro, Nov 27, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

Anyone have any tips or tricks that you have used to straighten a Pup bumper? Or ideas that I might try (or NOT try ;) ). Just off the top of my head I wonder if I should try putting a 2x4 behind bumper, wrapping big tow strap around it, tying the other end to something sturdy (neighbors fence ;) LOL ), then pulling with TV? Or better just to remove it, lay it on some cardboard on driveway, drive over it with wheel of the TV. Maybe even drive over it with one side of the daul rear wheels of my 14' work box van. The box van is certainly heavier.

This is not a high priority on my fix up to do list, but since DW said she "wished the bumper did not look like this." It's now on my radar. The bumper is held to the frame with just one long thru bolt on each side. Because neither the back wall of the camper or the spare tire mount are bent in the slightest, and it's 'scratched up' only on the bottom edge (10" wide in center), I'm guessing a previous owner backed into a low post or rock.

EDIT: See post #5 below for pictures. Sorry I forgot to attach the pictures I made, before posting. Doooh!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Since its easy to get off, take it off and straighten it

3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

This is a photo is nice thread.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think they mean post a picture! I can come up with some ideas!

5. davekro

davekro Active Member

I'm losing my mind. The bumper is not my problem! I took pictures and put them on my computer to include in the original post...
    But obviously I forgot to add them. Here are the pictures. [SNZ]

Bumper, Pup-1.jpg Bumper, Pup-2.jpg Bumper, Pup-3.jpg

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tbh , probably cheaper and eaisier to have someone make one. Sorry not much help. I thought it was dinged, that looks as if it was pushed in good. You could strighten it a bit, but i dont think it will be perfectly square. I might try to put a piece of wood on the inside and try to shape it a bit. Ratchet the wood outward to try and take out some of the bend, or take it off and get hammering.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Easiest and quickest way is to remove it, throw it away and replace it. If you take it off and and somehow bend it semi straight, the bolt holes wont line up again. That metal has stretched and "running over " or strapping to a post wont fix that stretch.

8. Overland

Overland Active Member

C-channel steel from local steel supply, cut to length, drill four holes, mount and paint. You'll end up with a bumper that will give you much more protection..

kgesiako and xxxapache like this.
  9. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I would leave it on. I would hook the Pup onto the TV, and back it towards a good solid big tree. If you don't already have one, go to Harbor Freight and get you a come along cable winch and a tree protector strap. Wrap that around the tree and slowly start to pull it out. Put some tension on it, and smack it a few times with a hammer in a strategic spot, like right near where it attaches to the frame extensions to help it along a little. You can take your time at it and be as picky as you want. As said before, if you take it off to straighten it, the bolt holes probably won't line up again to put it back on.

Ladiesman and durhamcamper like this.
  10. davekro

davekro Active Member

I was told by a Starcraft dealer that Starcraft has NO parts for older than 2013. But a bumper is as generic as you can get. I wonder where best to look to buy this 85" wide by 3 7/8"tall bumper?

I saw this from a google search. Intersting mod to include Storage, but $133 is .. https://www.ebay.com/i/131779184596?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=131779184596&targetid=809744316385&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9051835&poi=&campaignid=6470742440&mkgroupid=80119806400&rlsatarget=aud-412677883135:pla-809744316385&abcId=1141156&merchantid=137763244&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-Jttc49Mh47fgE2_ZYltK9ppZ-1GE0IVognuDCo5c3l60L2HMKh96saArB-EALw_wcB

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I agree on replacing it with a piece of C channel.

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Quickest and easiest way is to replace with C channel

13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

It depends on the DW's standards. Is she looking for perfection or something just a little bit better? The fear is she is looking for a result that would be too time consuming. You married her, only you can decide what she wants.

If you want to try and improve this use a lever to roll the bottom back out. There will be kinks and wrinkles in the bottom horizontal piece because of stretched metal. Then take a come a long and slowly pull the whole bumper out. Have you examined the mounting arms to see if they were pulled inward during the event?

If it was me I would find a place like Metals Superstore and buy a piece of C channel made of Aluminum or steel depending on your tongue weight. Or, get the wood of your choice and make a long rectangular box with caps on each end. You've have seen the sewer pipes people have mounted to store awnings, etc in. Same concept but wood.

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Don't chain it to anything.
    Remove it and insert a 2X4 on the backside, lay the bumper face down on something that won't damage the front, then you can hammer on the wood to straighten the bumper with the least amount of damage.
    If you decide to replace it don't overkill the replacement, I would rather damage a bumper then bend the frame of the camper.

15. davekro

davekro Active Member

Thanks for the several good ideas all. DW does not expect perfection, just better looking. I think the easiest thing to try first is with it still mounted. I’ll try placing a 2x4 behind, with a 10” C clamp or large pipe wrench towards the bottom center and see if I can pry/ lever or jack the C clamp’s end up to untwist the bumper. Then use a come along to see if I can pull the bumper out. Good idea to be mindful of if the frame rails move and if they are currently contorted in any way before starting. Not sure when I’ll get to this project, but good to have plan A (aware it might lead to a plan B ;) ).

16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If you want it straight, just remove and build a new one. The suggestions for some c-channel from steel supply are good. You can also do what many a truck in the woods has and use a 4x4, stained and sealed and edges rounded. You could also use steel square stock like many TTs use to store the stinky slinky in. Perhaps a piece of black pipe, but that would get heavy. PVC pipe would be useful as storage, and easy to work with, but is so brittle it doesn't provide much protection from backing into things like trees and tables in the night.