Any "Trailer" Tires rated for greater than 65mph?

mrclortho

Aug 11, 2014
Hello Pup Peeps,

I looked back over a year in this forum and really did not find an answer to this question other than completely switching to a LT type truck tire.

Regarding maximum towing speeds, I read my owner's manual and it simply states that I should tow at or below the speed limit (some limits in Texas are 85mph!). I looked up my tires from the manufacture and indeed, 65mph is the maximum rated speed. This drives me bonkers. My truck could tow the pup at 80mph and not break a sweat, but I am concerned about blowing out a tire.

So, there I putt along at 65mph and on an 80mph highway in Texas, this is actually somewhat dangerous. Folks are constantly jockeying around me and making dastardly maneuvers as they pass, giving me dirty looks. Do I care what they think? No, but just last weekend there were two close calls where cars came up behind me so fast because they didn't realize how slow I was going.

I will be installing a spring over axle lift in a couple of weeks and looking for tires to replace the 175R13's that are on there. I am having difficulty finding a 14" or 15" trailer tire that isn't limited by a speed rating. I could go with a truck tire (assuming it fits) but would rather stick with a trailer tire (1,750 lbs minimum rated). I contacted a few manufactures and have gotten absolutely no responses.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

nomorecoop

Jan 8, 2012
I have 15" truck tires on mine. A bit overkill, as it came stock with 15" mud tires, but I'll probably drop down to a more standard tire when those wear out.

shfd739

Apr 16, 2011
Ive got a set of Carlisle Radial Trail RHs on our Coleman-pretty sure the size is 205/75/14..I noticed the sidewalls didnt have a speed limit listed. Carlisle has told me on 2 different phone calls that the tires can handle the posted limit--even if that limit is 85mph

HiFiDave

Singin round the campfire
Feb 1, 2012
nomorecoop said:
I have 15" truck tires on mine. A bit overkill, as it came stock with 15" mud tires, but I'll probably drop down to a more standard tire when those wear out.

Same here. My E1 came with some silly OEM mud tires. Mud tires on a trailer, gotta luv it. Anyway, I now have a better load rating 15 inch highway truck tire in place and have no problem driving at warp speed LOL! (Although in all honesty, about the max I go is 70 mph)

Rodger D.

Sep 29, 2010
Hola Sir

You have stated that you have 13 inch wheels and you asked for; "...Any suggestions? because
you want to drive faster.

The best reply so far has been the one which has The Good Year Attachment ( saying 65 MPH is
really OK )

The folks who have answered have wheels larger than yours and their comments are not related to
your 13 inch wheels. With your Pop Up - do you have the space to use a 14" tyre ?

The Real Question is Do You have Brakes on Your Pop Up that Work ( be it they be be surge or
electric ). If they are Electric Brakes Do You Have Them Connected To A Trailer Brake Controller ?

Have you even thought of asking a legal Office what happens if you get in a accident ???

Heartman_wa

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2006
Tacoma WA.
I think that the small spindles and small bearings would soon overheat because of turning that fast. cars and truck have much larger parts and can disperse the heat better. IMHO

HiFiDave

Singin round the campfire
Feb 1, 2012
mrclortho said:
I will be installing a spring over axle lift in a couple of weeks and looking for tires to replace the 175R13's that are on there. I am having difficulty finding a 14" or 15" trailer tire that isn't limited by a speed rating. I could go with a truck tire (assuming it fits) but would rather stick with a trailer tire (1,750 lbs minimum rated). I contacted a few manufactures and have gotten absolutely no responses.

Then someone said...

"...the folks who have answered have wheels larger than yours and their comments are not related to
your 13 inch wheels."

Huh?

Ummmm, the folks whom have answered with larger tires than yours did so because you said that you were looking for 14" or 15" tires to "replace" your 13" tires. If you want to know the 15" brand I went with let me know however, it was a quick pick due to a traveling road blow out, needed two matching tires. Just went with something with plenty of load rating (more than the OEM tires had so I'm good) and otherwise, I didn't much care...it's just a lil trailer after all.

joet

Super Active Member
Mar 16, 2011
Elkins WV area
The reason trailer tires only have a 65 mph speed rating is they are built cheaper than a Passenger or LT tire. There is nothing wrong with running a better tire.

vinmaker

Super Active Member
Aug 22, 2014
As you may have discovered. Tires are a HOT topic. Some swear by specific trailer tires and others LT tires. Others will say that P tires are just fine. I doubt there is an answer.

I feel for you on the speed. I like to keep it under 65mph. We do not have speeds higher than that here but people do drive that fast and they come up on me pretty quick and need to get around me.

fix_it

Aug 29, 2010
Re: Any "Trailer" Tires rated for greater than 65mph?

Can you run a 14" wheel? Kumho Radial 857 trailer tires are rated to 99 MPH. They only come in D load rating and 14" size. At least here in the USA anyway. I have them on my trailer after blowing two Carlisle tires running 65. I have had these up to 80 MPH no problem. I tow from KY to FL once a year and that is over 12 hrs of sustained 70 MPH without one problem.

The only place I know of to get these is Tirerack.com. These are a European size. The 195R14C is the same diameter as our 205/75R14. The C means COMMERCIAL, not the load range.

fix_it

Aug 29, 2010

The Kumho are not ST tires. They are commercial European trailer tires. I believe they are made in Korea. They are sold in 13" and 15" sizes over seas. But only 14" here. They are kinda rare. Search online for reviews. I could not find anything negative, only positive about them two years ago when I last looked. Try that with ANY other trailer tire brand.

Bullfrog Bheer

Super Active Member
Feb 19, 2010
Central Wisconsin
I've been researching lately myself for new tires probably next year.

I have an older Coleman and the tires are small......20.5x8x10 which translates to 205x65x10.
I found quite a few, from just the tire to tire and rim combinations. One website I looked at actually had a 205x65x10 high speed trailer tire. When I did some reading on that one, it is rated for 55 mph....that's high speed? [:O] [:O] [:O]
And if that's high speed, what's the rating on non-high speed rated....45?

Is this the penalty for having only 10" tires?

fix_it

Aug 29, 2010

True, but for those of us who travel in states without special speed limits for trailers, it is very dangerous to be driving along 20 MPH less than the rest of traffic.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey

fix_it said:
True, but for those of us who travel in states without special speed limits for trailers, it is very dangerous to be driving along 20 MPH less than the rest of traffic.
I agree with that.

seigell

Apr 23, 2011
joet said:
The reason trailer tires only have a 65 mph speed rating is they are built cheaper than a Passenger or LT tire. There is nothing wrong with running a better tire.

This is rather inaccurate.

How many Passenger vehicle Tires have you seen which have 1500-1750lb load ratings on 12in or 13in tires ?? How many 6000lb compact sedans do you see on the road ?? And how many Passenger Tires have you seen constructed such that they have a 50PSI or 75PSI rating ??

Trailer Tires and Passenger Tires and even Light Truck Tires are all built to address different Primary Design targets. Not Cheaper - just Different...

Nandy

Super Active Member
Mar 29, 2010
I do quite a bit of towing in nc where the max speed for towing is 55 mph,which is what I drive even when the speed limit is 70. Now, keep in mind that everyone not hauling drives almost 10 mph over the speed limit so in effect, everyone is doing over 70 everywhere I tow. I stay in the slow lane and let people drive around me. There is nothing else you can do. Do not exceed the limits of your equipment or you might be the one doing the dance at 75 mph. I have had a few flats at 55mph and it was no fun. I cant think of it at speeds over 70mph...

fix_it

Aug 29, 2010
Yes, I agree that you must obey the laws where you are driving. I don't agree with different speed limits for different vehicles. Just a bad idea for traffic to run up on a slow moving truck or other vehicle. But, if thats the law, you gotta obey. It doesn't always mean you'll be safer, but it will keep you on the good side of the law.

If your tires are only rated to 65, then don't drive over 65. If your rig isn't stable over a certain speed, stay below that speed. But for those of us who have properly rated running gear and stable rigs, we should be allowed to run with traffic. Know the limitations of your equipment and also yourself. Stay within them at all times. If my truck and trailer are stable at 75 MPH and the tires are rated for more than that (they are BTW), I will run 75 and not think twice, as long as I am not breaking any laws.

I'd imagine a flat on the trailer wouldn't be much worse at 75 than 55. I have had several flats on trailers but never had any more than a vibration. No loss of control or anything like that.