Any trike riders?

Discussion in 'Biking' started by Djo, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Djo

Djo Member

I am thinking about getting a recumbent trike should this winter ever end. It will probably be a folding model to make it easier to tote around in my Forester and to fit it in the garage wilth all the other toys. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? I put a couple of thousand miles on bikes each year and my main ride these days is a long wheel base recumbent, but I know next to nothing about trikes so any insights are welcome.
    David

2. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I've been on a Catrike Villager for coming up on three years now and love it. My wife has a Terratrike Rambler and loves it as well. For comfort, stability, and just plain fun-factor, they can't be beat.

Catrike has brought out a folding model. If it follows their history for quality and excellence in design, it's an incredible trike. Plus, Catrikes are made right here in the USA.

Here's a shot of mine.

[​IMG]

3. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2012 Catrike Trail. It's not the newer folding version. Love, love, love my trike. I'm slower on it but it's more fun than a bike. (And I've always enjoyed biking.) What I like more about bikes are the more open feeling. You ride ON a bike but you're IN a trike. Bikes seem more agile to me, though that's from a DF perspective. Bikes are easier to get inside a doorway.

What I like more about trikes are ability to go both faster and slower with less concern of falling over. Stopping & starting is so simple. I never thought of starting & stopping as being difficult on bikes but with trikes it's so much simpler & easier that I don't want to give that up. My trike takes less energy. I can ride so much farther on it without feeling tired. My legs don't feel like wet noodles when I get off my trike. It's a more relaxed ride. Turns out keeping your balance takes more physical & mental energy than I would have thought. Even though I never consciously put much effort into keeping upright on my bike, I never felt nearly as relaxed on it as I do on my trike.

Trikes aren't going to be everyone's preference over bikes but I'm so happy I got mine. The price was very off putting. Trikes seem expensive even compared to 'bent bikes. It's been worth it!

We'll be at the Smokey Mtn Recumbent Rally in May. We've gone once before but it will be our first camping in that area. Am really looking forward to it.