Anyone Been To Mistletoe SP Recently near Augusta GA?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by micbur, Mar 22, 2010.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We will be going there for long Memorial Day weekend and will be our first trip there....looking for the good and bad points...

Thanks

2. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

No, but I want to go. We have family in Augusta and I would love to go camping there. Please post with details of your trip afterwards.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Yes please do! I am always looking for new state parks to go to.

4. micbur

Will do....usually take a lot of photos when we visit a new park so will post them and provide a link in my report back after our trip.

5. BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn New Member

We have camped there twice and last summer we went there to ride the bike trail. It is a nice park, has a nice beach when there is water in the lake, saw plenty of deer, and nice pull-through sites that are waterside. It is away from everything so make sure you bring everything. There is a convience store right off the interstate for refreshing drinks.

6. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Hi Mike! I've read a couple of reviews about that park and they've always been very complimentary. That's one that's on our list, too; we want to cycle there0. So, I will be very interested to hear what you have to say about it.

Enjoy!

7. micbur

Going to be a rough 4 weeks till we go....just returned from camping at Crooked River SP and don't have any other trips planned till Memorial Day at Mistletoe. Think we will go crazy!! [LOL]

8. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Friend of mine has camped there a number of times--says its very nice, but if you have a site on the point near the lake it's very windy! Apparently she lost an entire stack of napkins last year (had to have her kids chase them all down!) But in the heat, a little wind would be nice. It's supposed to be in the 90s here this weekend :)

9. micbur

Thanks for the information....little over two weeks away till we come over. So looking forward to it as we will be there 4 nights

[CP]

10. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

I am so jealous! I would love to go camping Memorial Day Weekend, but didn't make plans soon enough and now everything in booked. Let me know how you like Mistletoe--have fun!

11. micbur

OK....counting down the days now to the longest trip so far this season. Just 8 more working days till we leave. Just working half day on Thursday next week...heading out around lunchtime. DW taking the day off and will have the PU and truck packed and ready to go. Just hope the weather holds up. Anyone else off the PUP going to be at Mistletoe SP Memorial Day Weekend? Just stop by if you are going to be in the area...pleanty of chairs and love to have some good company. [CP]

12. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Have you left yet? We were going to head up there yesterday and check it out (and hopefully say hi) but the rain kept us at home. May head up there today. Would love to hear your review as we may try and camp there this summer. We have a boat so I'd be interested to know if there are good water access sites. Thanks!

13. micbur

We are just packing up to head home. Had a great time and getting here early we got site #20. Sorry you could not make it out yesterday...had a little rain here. Park is really nice and planning on coming back. Restrooms are OK. Well have to run and finish packing.

14. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Let me know when ya'll come back and we'll come get you for a boat ride! Would love some more info on the park/sites when you get back and have a sec. Have a safe trip home [:D]

15. micbur

Will do! Just sitting here letting the storms pass before lowering the PU. Big storms moving through but radar shows clearing coming this way. Will tell you more about park when we get home this evening.

16. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

It is pouring down over here in North Augusta SC! Ya'll be careful packing up and driving in this mess [:!]

17. micbur

Hi there....well we made it home about 30 minutes ago. Did not run into any major rain storms on the drive but it did start raining as we pulled into our driveway. Waiting for it to stop raining to set up the PU and the tent used by our DD and her BF. Had a great time and we are definately going to return. We also drove over to Winfield ACOE CG and find a couple of nice sites there. We might try and return sometime in July. We go camping every two weeks and have nothing scheduled for the month of July.

Here is how things went:

Arrived around 3pm on Thursday and by 4pm we had selected a site. Found site #20 which was a large pull-thru site with view of the lake and a small cove. Had a nice evening after setting up camp...had to go find the Wal-mart for a few things and DD wanted to eat at the local Denny's. Came back to the site and sat around the campfire till bedtisepme. Close to two shower facilities...the one on the right from the site was hot and muggy...at the time was pretty filthy. Amazes us how the showers can get and be left so muddy...can no one clean up after themselves. How much more effort is it to turn the shower head to clean the floors. The shower facilities to the left were a little further walking distance but was much cleaner and not so hot. Each facility has two showers with a changing area and shower...each shower seperated from the toilet/sinks by there own shower curtain.

Around 4am we were awaken by about 30MPH winds blowing in from the lake. Remember from your previous posting that your friends mentioned this when camping on the point. We were not on the point but close enough to it. Had to fix the awning...usually put it up free standing but attached it to the side of the PU to help hold it in place. After about 90 minutes the wind finally died down and rest of the morning was quiet. Had about 40MPH winds return on Saturday afternoon...had to roll the awning up as I was worried the wind was way too strong. Managed to survice that situation till this morning when the big storms showed up right as we needed to pack up. Thanks to my new phone was able to check the radar and saw that the storms would be moving on in about 30 minutes so just sat it out. Storms passed and we packed up just fine.

Anyway....again really liked the CG and will be posting some pics from the weekend there and really sorry that we did niot have the chance to meet but definately want to try the next time we are in the area.

Mike & Dolores

18. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Thanks for the update--would like to camp there sometime. We are headed to Ridge Road COE campground this next weekend and staying for 10 days. We'll be on site #53 (my personal favorite). Has a great beach for swimming, sunning and perfect for our boat. Planning some more trips for the summer as well, would love to meet up! Glad you're home safe and sound [A]

19. micbur

20. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Looks like ya'll had a great time--love the PUP decorations and the patriotic flip-flops! I friended you on Facebook, check out my "Ridge Rd Camping Trip" photo album for some pics on Ridge Rd COE campground. Let me know the next time you're in my neck of the woods [:D]