Anyone been to Standing Stone State Park?

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by Buttermilk, May 29, 2012.

1. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

It's in middle Tennessee north of Cookville. We've been through the area a few times but never to the campground. I did a search on the web but there's very little info available about the campground.

2. zorak

zorak Member

I have been to Standing stone,just not camping.My only advice is if you go hiking to be careful. The Dw and myself went hiking several years back. The trail map we got from the visitor ctr was rather crude. I think it may have contributed to us getting EXTREMELY lost! The grounds look nice and i would imagine the campground is nice as well. We were also told to watch out for rattlesnakes ( after we found our way back!) I think i might go back once i rehab the roof on our camper.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I have never been so I can't offer any new information, but just out of curiosity, I googled "Standing Stone state park" and looked at images hoping to see a standing stone. Nope, nada. Is there really a standing stone of some sort, or is that a local name for some sort of inside joke among Tennesseeans?

4. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

It's really a state park. You can google Tennessee state parks and get a tiny bit of info on it. We have been through that way before, but didn't look the campground over. I guess I'll just have to go so I can make a report on it.

5. lizzyg

lizzyg New Member

We went there last weekend, March 9-11/13, we had a great time. Minus the wind and rain that came. The camp ground was nice, there was only one bathroom/house open, I guess they were still on Winter hours. When we arrived on Saturday, there were only two other sites being occupied. We picked our site, the office was closed, so the next day we went to pay. The office personal was very friendly and helpful. We then went on a hike. Very narrow at some points and scary, but a good hike, we went just a little over 6 mile. We didn't plan on going that far, so we didn't bring any snacks or water, since the weather was nice, around high 60's, we were fine. We made a promise to ourselves, no more hiking without water or snacks!
    Our camp site was very nice, site 26. We plan on going back to Standing Stone! [HY] :)

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

This is our favorite state park; it's incredibly beautiful and quite underutilized; the campground is rarely more than half full unless there is a scout outing or something.

It's located at the juncture of the eastern Highland Rim and the Cumberland Plateau in a bowl surrounded by several mountains. The central lake is impounded by the impressive Kelly Dam constructed by the WPA. Above the lake is the cabin area with a mix of historic cabins built by the WPA and a few more modern ones. There are also three historic lodges, beautiful structures. Many other structures were constructed by the WPA; a lot of the surrounding forest was replanted by the CCC and is now a near climax hardwood forest.

The trails are not heavily used but offer a wide range of types including the lakeside trail to the steep one up Cooper Mountain. Other activities include fishing, paddle boat and small boat rentals, tennis, and other sports. There is a swimming pool at the rec area. The park is also famous for the traditional sport of "rolley hole," imported from England but still played by the mountain people of the region. The national rolley hole championships are held at Standing Stone.

The park holds a special place to us; we had used it as tent campers for years, and it was the first place we took our first pup.

I think it's the best of our best-in-the-nation state parks. Here are a few pics...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[PS: The "Standing Stone" was a landmark on the old Walton Road at Monterey, Tennessee 25 miles or so southeast. Thought to mark a Cherokee boundary, the upright rock was dynamited in the construction of the Tennessee Central Railroad. A portion of the old stone is embedded in the Standing Stone Monument at the Monterey Library.]

[​IMG]

7. Boroviewfarm

Boroviewfarm Farmer marries veterinarian; now raises kids.

I believe that we will have to go spend the weekend at Standing Stone sooner rather than later!

8. troy7997

troy7997 New Member

I am going to Standing Stone this year in May at the recomendation of Travelhoveler (from another site). I'm really looking forward to it. If anyone else has pictures of there trip to SS I would love to see them.

Travelhoveler - Great pictures. I can't wait to see the dam in person. Looks really cool!

9. ricko

ricko Member

I've only been with scouts... and it's a very different trip than Travelhoveler - I'm ready to go back without the scouts and check all that stuff out!

Good Luck

Ricko

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We will be there in 11 days for a 3 day wkd!
    Never been, noticed it on the way to Dale Hollow Lake. Seems like a really nice hidden gem.

11. crackerJack

We had a really good weekend. Definitely will return next year. Simple rustic park, beautiful mountian lake, hiking and fishing.
    Some sites have been renovated and some have not. Bath house was old, but clean.

12. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Travelhoveler--thanks for the review and pictures. I LOVE it when you comment on here. I always learn something from your posts. :)

13. crackerJack

T.H., that looks like the same site we had.
    It would be a good place for a TN rally someday.

14. FredoFortyFour

FredoFortyFour New Member

Glad to see others interested in this park. Haven't been there yet but it had made it to the short list for this year. Hoping to go sometime around the first of May. :)

15. troy7997

troy7997 New Member

I will be there May 4th and 5th.

16. MIKE5208

MIKE5208 New Member

We have camped there twice and loved every minute of it. Since my son has grown up and began camping with his family, it is his favorite destination also. It has one of the best pools I've been at in a state park!