Anyone camp for thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by dbhost, Sep 16, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

This subject has been hashed on other forums, but it would be intresting to see what the PUP group has to say about it...

With my father in law passed on, and my wife and I childless, the rest of the in laws have their kids and are doing Thanksgiving on their own leaving out aunts and uncles, so we are starting our own new tradition.

Thanksgiving dinner in camp.

There will be a LOT of pre-cooking, and more than a bit in camp, some will be determined by weather (burn bans etc...) but assuming favorable conditions here is our plan...

Menu.

1. Spatchcocked turkey on the Weber Smokey Joe (Has to be a small bird). Looking for a 7 lb bird, no bigger than 9 lbs... Weber Smokey Joe, charcoal chimney starter, coals, Sunday Chronicle, and lighter.
    2. Candied sweet potatoes / yams. In the Coleman Folding camp oven on the Coleman 424 stove. The batch will be pre-prepped and oven ready in the cooler. Our cake pan has a lid, and our ice is captive as we use Fiji water bottles as ice blocks...
    3. Wassle on the other burner of the 424. Ozark Trail stainless steel family cook set medium pot..
    4. Small batch, wifes recipe stuffing. All ingredients pre prepped at home weekend before and refrigerated until packing time, iced down in cooler. Baked in the 5qt Dutch Oven.
    5. Garlic butter Mashed potatoes. Potatoes boiled over the Coleman 425 with the large pot of the Ozark Trail ss family cook set, Ikea stainless slotted server to pick potatoes out of boiling water, Potato masher, and stainless mixing bowl.
    6. Take and bake yeast rolls in the 8qt dutch oven.
    7. Pre-made pumkin, and pecan pies. (Sams Club), quartered, and packed in washed / repurposed half pie bakery holder.
    8. Chilled canned cranberry sauce.
    9. Hot water for tea, hot chocolate, whatever via my Texsport stainless steel percolator pot that hasn't seen coffee in 12 years since I got my Coleman drip coffee maker, and then later the GSI Ultralight Java Drip...

Be-Ce and neighbormike like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I would love to camp over Thanksgiving!! Unfortunately, the weather here is usually pretty foul by then and the camper will be in winter storage.

3. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Sounds delish! My wife and kids decided we would try thanksgiving camping for the first time this year so we're still in the menu planning phases.

We might try a spatchcoked turkey on my weber outrider (a/k/a smokey joe platinum) which is a bit larger than the regular/current version of the smokey joe. Unfortunately I dont have a rotisserie that fits this kettle otherwise we'd be spinning a bird. Might bring along a different and/or 2nd kettle as well but that depends on how we pack up the truck. Might also resort to smoking a turkey breast instead of a full bird.

Other than the turkey our menu is yet undecided. Curious to see everyone else's ideas! We'll probably bring along at least one (maybe 2) cast iron dutch ovens and could cook over a fire as well/along with/instead of.

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of work. But then again we rarely do a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Seems like you have it all figured out and it will be delicious.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We have been doing the Thanksgiving camping thing over 10 years, have camped in beautiful almost summer like weather, to nothing but rain, even had snow one year as I was cooking Thanksgiving Dinner.. For the past 5 years we have hosted a Thanksgiving Gather Rally. While it is hard to get a huge turnout we did get 5 families out twice. This year may be the lowest turnout but it is understandable as some folks get their trailers ready for winter early and others still want to be part of the big family thing...

https://www.popupportal.com/threads...-thanksgiving-gathering-planning-poll.121753/

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Back in the BC (Before Camper) years we spent a few Thanksgivings in Big Bend NP, as it was one of the few times each year our work schedules would allow us both a full week off. And when family responsibilities didn't require us to be elsewhere. In fact, our first Thanksgiving dinner together was in BBNP. I would have preferred quail but couldn't find any whole quail so we settled for Cornish game hens roasted in a 12 inch DO, a 10 inch stacked for the dressing and a sauce pan on top boiling potatoes. Giblet gravy cooked on the camp stove. That pretty much used up our limited cooking utensils at the time so it stayed pretty simple. It would have been nice to have dessert but we'd already been out 4 days and doubt pie would survive the trip. It was memorable to say the least.

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

This is going to be our first time trying this. The idea is to pre prep / cook ahead of time. We are going to be close by as the campground we have in mind had spaces reservable and it's a short drive from the house... Not a state park either, so a lot less crowded...

This really is a situation of making sure we are prepped and packed in advance. The idea is going to be simply assemble heat and eat in camp. There will be leftovers, or if amiable, camping neighbors sharing Thanksgiving with us...

It's an odd situation at our age to be without kids. We tend to get shut out of a lot of family and church activities. They just aren't geared toward folks like us...

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would like to camp for Thanksgiving however it will usually be close to freezing by then at night and the parents sure in heck won't camp. I do however attend a yearly Thanksgiving day paddle with my kayak group the week before Thanksgiving. We launch from a boat ramp with all our Thanksgiving potluck food, paddle 3.5 miles to a picnic ground. Where we celebrate our thanks and pack everything up and paddle back. It's a lot of fun but sometimes very very difficult to keep food warm on a 32 degree day. Even worse needing to wear a wetsuit and trying to stay warm.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

It rarely gets anywhere near freezing here before Christmas...

10. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

It will be my second year camping for Canadian thanksgiving, we’ll be camping at Ivy lea in Ontario, it’s the last weekend campgrounds will be open for the season, plan is we’ll be 2 couples, last year we went to les Escoumins, qc

Snow likes this.
  11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Canadian Thanksgiving eh?

Sorry.... couldn't resist...

What kind of traditions do Canadians observe for Thanksgiving?

12. p

p Active Member

Just like the rest .... good food and good friends.

Be-Ce and neighbormike like this.
  13. p

p Active Member

.... and beer.

Fred1diver and neighbormike like this.
  14. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan New Member

For the past few years we rotate each year; one year camping on family land where my brother built a cabin and added electricity, water, and sewer connections for a travel trailer. Every other year at a National Forest Campground just outside the city where our daughter lives. The “big” parts of the meal (e.g. turkey and dressing) are precooked and refrigerated then packed into one cooler that is the Thanksgiving cooler. May be heated at camp or a relative’s house depending on that year’s details. This year is National Forest year; and this reminds me that I need to make my reservation........

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

What is Spatchcocked turkey?

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Cut down the back of the bird and open it up...it will lay flat on the grill. Popular with chickens (with, not among [:D]).

kcsa75 likes this.
  17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Spatchcoking means you split the bird, along the back, and open it up to lay it flat on the grill. It helps to distribute the heat / smoke more evenly around the meat, and allows the bird to fit more easily under the lid of a grill.

I've only done it with my Weber 22". Might be a problem size wise with my Smokey Joe which is only 14"...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For years, we've spent Thanksgiving with our friends in Tucson. When they had family stuff one year, we took our first popup camping in NM instead - it was fun, sort of, except for the horrible weather system that passed through, temps hit the teens (that pup had no furnace), and we came home a day early.
    Now that both couples have small TTs, we have been meeting up at one of the AZ state parks for Thanksgiving. It's been a good excuse to visit areas we haven't seen yet. So far, we've always had power and water, which makes things easier; we reserve sites well in advance, so we get ones next to, or across from, each other.
    We each bring some of our own food, and contribute to the main meals. We haven't settled on a menu for this year - we're doing Catalina SP just outside Tucson this year, so may even go out for one meal.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Considered it and actually thought I had a out in left field idea. It'll be great I said to DW! Everyone will be with families watching parades and stupid ball games on big screen TVs! When I started "trying" to find a campsite I quickly discovered than I wasn't alone in my thinking. In our area many CGs are closed before Thanksgiving and the ones that are open only have limited sites open. I gave up last year and didn't try this year.

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I've done it for the past several years. As a veggie, I don't need to worry about the bird. The rest I keep pretty simple. I've been known to get pre-made stuffing and mashed potatoes. Jellied cranberry sauce. Apple blossoms instead of full pie - they are individual sized.

Years ago, my Mom decided to go simple for T-day. So she got fresh sliced turkey from the deli and we did "leftover sandwiches" instead of the big meal. It was great. Easy way for a camping trip.