Anyone camped at Cades Cove in TN?

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by campinggordons, Feb 25, 2015.

1. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

Looking for any info or personal experience camping at this CG

2. StPeteClipper

StPeteClipper Member

We spent a week tent camping there last August. No water, electric, or reception of any kind. Bathrooms show some age but were well maintained. Store was within an easy walk. We had made reservations but upon arrival I asked them if there were any more sites available and could we switch to something different if we wanted now that we could see them in person. Ranger said no sweat, and handed us a map with all of the available circled. We wound up in a handicapped spot which was a nice size site but with a concrete driveway that you could park a couple of semi's on. Easy walk to the loop and within a half hour saw numerous deer and a black bear.

I've been to CC about 4 times previous and it's one of my favorite places in the US so I'm biased, but this was our first time camping there and would do so again yesterday.

If there's anything I've missed feel free to ask.

3. campinggordons

We have a special hotel we've always stayed at but we were thinking that it would be so awesome to camp out there because we always go when we go to Gatlinburg. I knew they had no electric except on the handicap sites, I wasn't sure about cell service,so that's something to think about as well. I was thinking leaf looking time.

4. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Cades Cove is nice but DW and I perfer Elkmont. All campgrounds are the same as for water, elec. etc. throughout the park. Elkmont is in the center of the park activities. 1/2 way to Cades Cove, 1/2 way over the top to N.C. side. Close to Gatlinburg and bypass to Pigeon Forge. Elkmont has better spaced campsites with the Little River running thru and mountains on the edges. Elkmont has three sections, on the ranger side of the river (good sites), if you cross the river go with the sites on the left (good sites) and right side over the river is ok.

We have been camping in the Smokies for over 15 years and have always gone back to Elkmont rather the other campgrounds.

5. zorak

zorak Member

I feel bad as I live in Tennessee and have never camped in the Smokies. The DW says she doesn't want to get eaten by a Bear. I am confident I will be able to convince her given enough time. I think I might take a little weekend drive to check out CC and Elkmont. If she likes one of them ,then I think she would go.

6. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Zorac - tell the DW she has better chances of getting eaten outside of the campground than in. In 15 years of camping at Elkmont the only thing we have ever seen big is the deer. The park campgrounds bring you back to nature not like the cramped CG's outside the park.

7. zorak

zorak Member

Yea, I have seen the campers packed like sardines in the private cg's. I have been to the smokies at least 10 times, just have never camped there. The only bears we have seen is early am on the cove loop road. I think I can use a little charm and be persistant and she will come around and give in:)

8. campinggordons

I've seen signs for Elkmont just never visited there. If we want to see bear we normally go downtown Gatlinburg turn at light #8 and go up and take the Roaring Fork motor nature trail. We make this a picnic trip every time we go and there's tons of hiking trails.

9. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

That's another reason we like Elkmont's location.
    When were there we hit the Roaring also. Breakfast at the Log Cabin on the Nature Trail in Gatlinburg. Then it's off to the Roaring Fork.
    If you plan on staying at either CC or Elkmont, I'd recommend you make reservations. Spaces go quickly in Elkmont in the Summer and Fall.
    Another great trip to make is in Elkmont during the first 2 weeks of June. The sync. firefiles are at it. Only happens two places in the world and Elkmont is one.

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We like elkmont. In the non-generator section.

11. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

We tent camped in Elkmont a few years back during the first week in June to watch fireflys. Walked up the road to the firefly viewing area, when we were done, walked back to our campsite and hit the bed. The rangers are very stringent about food being left out in campsites. We never saw a bear in the campground, but have been to Roaring Fork many times and seen bear there. It's nice living 45 minutes away from such a beautiful spot, wish I had time to go more often.

12. zorak

zorak Member

I agree. I live about 4 hours away from GSM. I feel a day trip coming on.