anyone camped at j. pennekamp

Discussion in 'Florida' started by plowman, Sep 6, 2013.

1. plowman

plowman New Member

Has anyone camped at or have advice on john pennekamp sp in key largo [:)C]

2. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I camped there in a tent 48 years ago...all I remember is there were "no-see-ums" that go through the screening and get in your eyes! We had no repellant for the netting. Also, while we were talking to a ranger (at the entrance) I asked what kind of bug was on the wooden rail. He said that wasn't a bug...then it proceeded to walk away. Turns out a small storm blew-in some strange varieties.

None of this would help you...but it is a beautiful place! [:)C]

3. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Yep...been a couple of years though. We like Long Key SP the best and then Bahia Honda SP next. The sites are right on top of each other at Pennekamp.

4. bardenl

bardenl New Member

We camped there last year for 3 nights in February on our way down to Bahia Honda in our popup. It's a fun place to have a kayak and the campers are friendly. The ambiance is not great, but the cg is quiet and the glass bottom boat and other activities are fun. It's not easy to get reservations, but look online and see what you can find.

5. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

I was there in early November. Awesome park for Kayaks and water snorkeling/ diving. Not so good for anything else.

The sites aren't really private and no-see-ums can make for an unpleasant experience during their season.

6. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Nope [;)]

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

FYI, you are answering a question asked 4 months ago. The thread has been dead for 4 months. That not withstanding, you have to make reservations for the "Keys" CGs 11 months in advance.

8. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

I noticed that but answered anyway.. in reality, who cares? Someone might be heading out there and uses a search to find recent, relevant info. The person saves himself a similar post.