Anyone dabble with carbon fiber to make their pop up lighter/stronger?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Mcladdy, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

I gotta replace some rotten roof parts and was thinking of making composite carbon fiber sheets and laminating some of tre plywood up there to lighten, strengthening and reducing the chance of rot again. Also removing alot of the structural wood components for aluminum. Anyone out there tried this before?

2. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Sounds VERY costly ;)

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

My only worry would be the price difference?? Might there be some sort of plastic, or fiberglass sheets that would work as well?

4. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

For the cost of wood nowadays it’s about even Steven with the cost of carbon fiber materials and aluminum

5. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Lumber and plywood prices have come down since the peak a few months ago at least around here. I can’t imagine that carbon fiber and resin and aluminum structure would be less costly than some of the more traditional ways it has been done. the roof is not a high performance part where shaving a few pounds has a big impact. Just leave a few things home instead if weight is that big of a concern.

Now, if you just want to do it for the sake of doing it (and I can appreciate that since I do things like that sometimes) then go for it. I don’t think you’ll get lots of answers here of people that have explored or done that approach. It’s just not that common. (And maybe for good reason?)

if you do pursue that route be sure to post. I think it would be interesting to see.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Carbombfiber isn't necessarily better than fiberglass. If your using it as a wet process it can add some significant strength, but the epoxy used adds significant weight.
    Dry carbon is the way to save weight, but not really a diy.

7. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

So gonna take the lid off next weekend. Took it apart a lil but this weekend. It’s pretty rotted even the parts that looked good on the outside.

to remove the roof I’m gonna pop it up, remove upper canvas locations, then there’s a bolt that holds the roof to each of the lift arms. Lower roof then have some friends to manually lift it off the pop up. Sounds correct?