Anyone else listed their pup for sale on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted' started by artist143tm, Jul 18, 2014.

1. artist143tm

artist143tm I love camping!

We are thinking of selling our pup. We thought Craigslist might be a good idea to get us the most for it. We have never sold anything on there before. Let us know things we need to look out for, what to list, what not to list, etc.

Thanks

2. finn111

finn111 New Member

I bought mine off Craigslist, and one of the nice things was when there were a few good quality (Maybe 4) pictures, and a brief Description of included amenities ie; Stove, shower/bath, refer etc.)

I looked at a lot that had great descriptions and when I went to actually see then, I was greatly disappointed., just as much as the one that had lots of out of focus, twisted photos.

And plan to haggle on price [:D]

Good luck!

3. artist143tm

Is there a place I can go look at to get the value of my popup? I know the markets vary from place to place but I would like to know what is considered a fair price for a pup that has some age to it but is in really good condition???

4. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

5. gruss

gruss Active Member

We did with the old one.

Prepare for many messages asking what your lowest price is, even if you say "don't ask me what my lowest price is". Many people will bug you, and set up appointments, then not show even though they begged to be able to come see it so you wait on them. You will set up/tear down pop up many times during showings.
    Post lots of pictures, because people will request lots of pictures if you don't.
    Me personally, I try to be as honest as possible about any issues, maintenance and stuff so I'm not wasting people's time.
    If you have an old drawbar that you don't need, or will need something different for new camper anyway when someone makes an offer you like but says "cant pull it home right now" be prepared to throw it in, bird in the hand and all.

So what I normally do is not give a phone number say email only so my phone isn't blowing up, people who say "what's your lowest price?" I don't even respond to, the people with valid questions/requests are answered and given priority by first contact. This worked well when I sold a truck, first person to contact me looked at it said I'll give you X I said no there were 3 people waiting to come look, he offered Y and I said here's the title.
    The pop up had many inquiries and I got sick of the hemming and hawing and people backing out then changing their mind so just massed emailed everyone with a slightly lower price who contacted me and said first person with cash takes it away, it was gone in an hour, which was perfect because I wanted to finalize our new one and needed the room.

Don't think I've ever had anything for sale for longer than a week on Craigslist though, so it is a good tool for selling stuff, just brace yourself for some work/haggling.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We did and sold it in 3 days. Had three very interested people. First one that saw it bought it.

7. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Nice pics are a major factor IMO. Windows open, sun shining in. All cleaned up. Thousand words kind of thing. Also, listing what's wrong with the pup sets a good tone of negotiation.

Although, I think the only reason I was able to get the pup I did was because the ad was so bad. One outside pic, limited description. It was barely on my list when I was searching. Had the PO done the ad right, it would have been gone way before I got to it.

My iPhone did this

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Sold mine on Craig's list. Had to filter out all the scammers, especially the ones that claim they had to send a rep to pick it up. Pay special attention the the language syntax. That will clue you in that potential prospective buyer is not located where they claim and will not provide any personal information such as a DL number or local phone. I ultimately got a credible interested buyer and sold it for top dollar.

Good luck!

9. Phranc

Phranc New Member

My trigger is the request for more pictures, when you have obviously posted pics from every angle inside and out.

10. artist143tm

Great advice so far! Anything else that I should know before I post the listing? [?] All opinions are appreciated!

OR

Anyone on the portal going to be near Midland, Texas and be interested in buying our in very good condition StarCraft?? [;)]

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I sold one on CL too -- in two days. I agree with the pictures point. Get it fantastically clean inside and out. Remove all clutter. Take two or three views of the inside and two or three more of the outside. (I think CL's picture limit is six?) Clean is important because buyers equate clean with good condition and maintenance. I agree with the email-only response, too.

Know the trailer well. Be prepared to answer all questions about any part of it. If they don't ask about something, bring it up so you can make sure they know they are getting what ever it is. Have it set up when people arrive. If they want to put it down and up again, show them how and do it. Offer to operate the appliances. Have water in the tank (or the city water connected), a good battery and propane so you can show them that everything works. Know the age of your tires, including the spare. Expect that a serious buyer will probably want to spend a long lime inspecting the trailer.

One way to set a price is to look at NADA. Then look on CL and other sales sites for "comps" like real estate agents do for houses. You are competing in a market and don't want to price yourself out of it or cost yourself money. Set your price just a bit higher than you can expect to get so you can offer a slight reduction if that becomes the last impediment to a sale. Better yet, find a way to add value to your deal that other sellers can't match (see last paragraph). Say the price is firm in the add. If people ask what your lowest price is tell them the ad price is it. Decide ahead of time what form of payment you will accept and what you won't.

Some people will show up with a wad of cash and hope that you will drop your price just because they have money with them. When I sold my Yuma on CL a few years ago I used email response only. This guy said he was VERY interested and provided his phone number. I called him and we talked. He wanted to know what my best, lowest price was. I told him $6,000 (ad price). He asked if I was flexible. I said, "no." He wanted an appointment so we set one up. He came over, looked at the trailer briefly and then pulled out a roll of Benjamins, holding it under my nose. He asked, "How many of these do I have to peel off to get the trailer?" I said, "60." He looked at me like I was nuts and walked away.

I sold it the next day to a young couple with two little girls. They also asked if I'd consider reducing the price. I told them that instead of reducing the price I could add some value to the deal. I reminded them that the PUP had two batteries. I told them about PUGs and said I'd throw them into the deal. I said I'd give them the Reflectix window inserts and two bunk end fan/lights as well as a Barker 10-gallon gray water tote. I told them the price of each of these things. None of that stuff was of any value to me at that point because I had the TrailManor and did not need it but it was of high value to them. (Negotiation 101.) They agreed that the deal was a good one and took it. They went to the bank and got a cashier's check.

12. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Yes we did. Also had it in the yard with a for sale sign. Actually had more lookers that just stopped than people that saw it on Craigslist. The people that bought it saw it on craigslist though. Tips - take lots of good pictures, list its features and be prepared for no shows and lots of price hagglers. Best of luck!

13. artist143tm

We have some extra things to throw in as well to help sweeten the deal. Plus the fact it was in covered storage for about 10 years with no use so that has helped the condition be so good, we just got brand new tires for it (and the spare) so that might help as a selling point too. I hope that we will get some takers. I haven't thought about putting it out and advertising it for sale in my driveway on it but that might be a good thing to do as well.

Any others tips are welcome!!

14. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Yep. Bought and sold on CL.

When selling, I listed it late Friday afternoon and it was gone by 9am Saturday to the first person who looked at it. I use CraigsList a lot. Here are my tips.

Watch CraigsList for a while before you list to get a feel for prices and competition.

When writing the ad, think like a buyer, not a seller. Include good photos, accurate descriptions, and include a list of things that might need attention. Remember, everything you say in the ad is something you won't have to repeat in email or on the phone a jillion times.

I use a Google Voice phone number for contact. That way no scammers get my real phone number. You can set it up to forward all the calls to another number, or go straight to your Google voicemail, so you can return calls to anyone who sounds legit.

Also, be polite in your ad. I can't believe how many people are rude in their ads. Who wants to buy from somebody who sounds like a selfish jerk?

Use punctuation. Make your ad easy to read. Don't put all the info in one giant paragraph. Break the ad into sections and use bullet points and clear language.

Be friendly. Remember your audience and what's important to them. My ad ended with "Includes free setup lesson and handy tips on organization!"

15. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We purchase many things off CL. When selling our pup, we sold it in 1 day, to the first family that looked at it. As UT said, clean, clean, clean, inside and out! When asked to lower the price, I threw in the BAL leveler (went to a hybrid, so no use for me), and a grey water tank. Got my asking price. I also had 2 other people interested without even seeing it in person, so that helped with negotiations. And if you are selling something on CL, add pictures. When trolling CL for a purchase, if I can't see it, I am not even going to pursue it any further.

16. artist143tm

Good advice. Anybody want to chime in on what they would pay for a 1990 StarCraft? Here is a sample of the add that I am going to put on Craigslist. Let me know what you guys think about this...

FOR SALE: 1990 Starcraft Starflyer with 10 foot box. All tires are brand NEW and have less than 400 hundred miles on them. Back spare tire with cover is also NEW and never been used. Tags are current. Popup comes with the following:

• Propane Tank
    • 6 Pole Front Porch Awning
    • Roof A/C with cover
    • Dinette that Seats 4 with collapsible table that can be used inside or out and can also be made down into a
    bed (great for kids)
    • Front Queen Sized bed and Back Full Sized bed (beds have thick foam mattresses that sleep very comfortably)
    • 3 Burner Propane Stove that can be used inside or mounted on the side outside
    • Inside Sink with Pump Handle,
    • Fridge
    • Cabinet space and drawers for easy storage
    • Copy of Owner’s Manual

The full bunk end canvas was replaced before we got it and looks brand new. All other canvas is in very good condition. All Screens are in excellent shape as well. Has darkened/tinted side windows that unzip to screens and interior curtains for privacy as well as bunk end curtains to close during sleeping.
    This popup was in covered storage for almost ten years and that shows in how good of condition that it is in. Only needs new battery. Please only contact if you are truly interested and are serious about buying. You will get an email reply. We will be glad to give you instructions on how to setup/take down as well.

17. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on craigslist. Several cars, motorcycles, bought my first pop up on there, etc. Even met my wife in the personals section!

Couple of tips that may help -

1. I absolutely never waste my time with an ad where the seller doesn't provide a phone number. And when I list an ad, I specifically tell people not to email me. Phone only.
    Couple of reasons. When I'm selling, people are much more apt to low ball me via email. No one has the balls to do it on the phone or in person. But you'll get a dozen emails a day with crazy low ball offers. And, if I'm selling I want it gone ASAP, and if I'm buying, it means I have the money now and I want it ASAP. I want to find an ad, call them, then hop in my car and go get it. Email is too slow. You are giving people too much time to change their minds.

2. Sign up for a google voice account. Its free, and it gives you a phone number people can call and text you at, that isn't your own number. Google voice can be forwarded to your personal number so when they call it, your phone rings. You can use it for sending and receiving text messages. And you can call out through it, so they never see your personal number. Why do I do this? So I can cut someone off. Either if they are trying to lowball me and I get annoyed, or if after I sell something and they keep bothering me. With google voice you can just send them to a disconnected phone number sound. I've sold laptops that had an ad clearly stating that it came with windows installed and thats it. 3 days later I get a phone call demanding why it doesn't have Office installed, because they need word or whatever. Not my problem. I hang up, and block their number. Same for the guy who bought my old Xbox, then called me a dozen times because he couldn't figure out how to hook it up to his TV. Again. Not my problem. I've sold cars, and had people call six months later because it broke down and they thought I should have to fix it for them.

3. Have a notary lined up now. You don't want someone to drive 2 hours, have cash in hand, and now you can't find a notary to sign the title over to them. Know where a notary is, and what their hours are.

4. Go buy a fake currency detector pen. They're only a few bucks at walmart. OR if you go to a bank for the notary, have them check the cash for you.

5. LOTS OF PICTURES. I completely ignore ads with no pictures. If I don't see a picture, I assume you are lying about its condition. I've been burnt too many times.

6. You are going to be haggled with. I hate when people are like "why can't they just pay my asking price!". Haggling is part of the game. Its part of paying with cash and buying something private party. I never pay asking price. If someone says in their ad "no haggling", it just means they know they suck at it, so I'm just that more apt to do it. I'll show up, flash around some cash, and get it for less. My first camper, the guy was asking $800. I got it for $400.

7. Have it ready to setup and break down. If I show up and its already setup, I'm going to assume something is broken and you didn't want me to see you set it up. When I buy a used car, I am very specific in telling the seller that if I show up and the engine is warm, I'm assuming there is something wrong with it and they had to have it warmed up before I got there.

Your ad looks good. Its short, to the point, and has all the needed info. I would post a few pictures of it from camping, if possible. Like actually at a park, rather than in front of your house.

I would suggest asking a potential buyer, if they say they are coming, if they'd like you to plug the fridge in. Since 3 way fridges take a while to cool, if you plug it in a few hours ahead of time, you could show that it works.

Just some honest advice from someone who's bought and sold a lot of stuff on craigslist.

18. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Assuming its in excellent condition, both parties would come away with an excellent deal at $1000.

19. artist143tm

Really? Only $1000. The nada said it was at least worth $1200. Out here campers are at a premium due to oil field workers needing places to stay and not enough houses or apartments available. There is a pop up right now on Craigslist that is a 1979 jayco that he is asking $1200 for it. Also a 1996 jayco that is going for $2200 and a 1995 for $2000. Is it me or does the $1000 sound a bit low in my area?? Just asking...

20. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Perhaps it depends on part of the country your in.

Remember, thats their asking price, and not what their actually getting.

A REALLY good way of seeing what things in your area are worth would be to get on ebay motors, and search completed and sold listings within a few hundred miles of you.

Also, you are selling towards the end, rather than the beginning of the camping season.

Maybe consider hanging on to it until next spring?