Anyone else listed their pup for sale on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'For Sale and Wanted' started by artist143tm, Jul 18, 2014.

1. artist143tm

artist143tm I love camping!

Good point. We would like to sell now. I am not sure that Texas really has a designated camping season. I am sure spring, summer and fall are peak times. By selling now the new owner may actually get to use it this season and not have to wait. After all we just took it out ourselves. I suppose we could wait but I think we are trying to get it a new home as quick as possible.

I am aware that the prices on Craigslist are what they are wanting and not probably what they will get but I just thought $1000 sounded a little bit low for me to be happy with the sale. After all we just spent over $400 buying the new tires and other camping items (that we are keeping but they were purchasing with using them in our camper at the time) so I am hoping to get at least $1500 for it. Am I being unreasonable??

2. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Good advise from others and your ad looks good. I assume you will put an asking price on your actual ad as well this way you won't get a bunch of emails just asking about price.
    In regards to the pictures. When we sold ours on craigslist I planned ahead and took photos while out camping. Opened up all of the windows to let plenty of light in and staged everything for the best pics. Made beds, set the table, & had outside set up with chairs, small tables etc. Everything was neat, organized and clean. Being in a campground setting made the pictures look great and it sold relatively quickly.

3. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Without pics, its hard to say.

If the camper is immaculate, bright white and the canvas is perfect, then you might get what you are asking.

Really the only way to tell is list it and see. But the longer you have it listed at a higher price, the later in the season it goes, which brings down the value.

BTW though, you do not get your money back out of maintenance items. I expect that the tires are in good shape. Had you not put new tires on it and I showed up and saw that the tires were dry rot and worn out, that would have just been another bargaining chip to drop the price.

I'm curious how you purchasing camping items (you said $400 for tires and other things, but you aren't including the other things), but not including them in the sale, has anything to do with the asking price?

4. artist143tm

Yes. We will put the asking price on there once we figure out what that is going to be. I have some pictures from our camping trip with it. I need to get some of the inside after we set it up again.

I just had a thought about asking my Facebook friends if anyone is interested in buying it before I post to Craigslist. I might get some nibbles that way too. Hmmmm

5. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

And 99% of people will just ignore it and move on.

6. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

List it in both places at the same time.

[​IMG]

7. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Also, if you list it, then relist it with a dropped price, delete your old ad.

When I see the same ad from the same person, with progressively lower prices, I'm like a shark when it smells blood in the water.

Now I KNOW you are desperate and are willing to come down on price.

8. artist143tm

Good point again! I have just posted a nibble to Facebook. We shall see.

I have some other things that I am going to throw in to sweeten the deal. A brand new 3 burner Coleman propane stove, a very nice dome tent, and a really nice screened in awning tent that we don't use anymore. All 3 items are in excellent condition and are great camping accessories. I was not going to list them but offer them to the buying once haggling had begun. Am I right to think this is a good bargaining chip?

9. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Personally I'd say - hang on to them.

If someone shows up and starts trying to bring the price in, then like you said, use them.

"Ok, tell you what, I can't do $1200, but I can do $1300 AND I'll include this stove and an awning."

What happened to me was I had my camper listed at $1000. Finally drop to $600

My mistake was listing that it came with brand new tires and an awning. I should have just kept the awning for my new camper, and tossed the older tires back on the camper I was selling and sold the brand new ones separately.

10. artist143tm

lugoismad

Hmmm...Lots of things to think about here. Thanks for giving me such a good perspective of what a potential buyer might do. I was thinking everyone likes additional camping stuff but you are right they might just say keep it and walk away. UGH! I knew this was going to be a hassle... SIGH [:!]

11. ricko

ricko Member

We sold our '96 Coleman Shenandoah on craigslist in MINUTES... give it a quick cleaning, take some pictures, price it reasonably and hang on!

Seriously - I had the first call three minutes after I posted the PUP and my phone rang off the hook for the rest of the afternoon. To the point when the first buyer started negotiating I had to keep silencing my phone... helps with the negotiating.

As others have said, get a generic bill of sale, check their ID and only deal in cash.

We didn't see the need for a notary in our case.

Good luck!!

Ricko

12. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

It varies by state.

Looks like thread starter is from texas, and does not need a notary.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/title-transfers.php

In Ohio (where I live) you have to go to a notary to sign the title from one person to another.

13. ricko

ricko Member

Oh, and...

I thought your draft ad looked good. Don't list below book value, especially at that price point.

We listed ours 'ready to camp' as it had propane in the tank, the tires were aired up, and we threw in some cooking gear we really didn't care to keep. If that is the case with yours, advertise it that way!

Related to price, if you list it below book that may lead people to think something is wrong with it. I made that mistake with a car several years ago, I wanted to move the car and it needed new tires, so I listed it $400 below book (in 'good' condition)... no takers. I waited a few weeks and listed it at book in 'good' condition and got every cent.

Good luck

Ricko

14. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

Ours is up now, with multiple hits and someone coming back for a second look tomorrow. I listed at a low above book, and dropped it once so far- expecting to get closer to book for the final price. Very up front about any issues too, which hasn't scared anyone off yet....they are all fixable.

15. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

I have not listed one for sale but bought one from CG.

16. Meteor

Meteor Member

I bought my pup from a Craigslist ad. I also just sold my old car with a Craigslist ad. The car sold in 48 hours.

I now have a better tow vehicle, so if I get a bigger camper, I plan to sell my current pup with a Craigslist ad.

17. artist143tm

Thanks for all the replies!! This is hopefully going to be a very informative thread for anyone who is looking to do this in the future!

Ricko - Did u give out ur real phone number or one of those free google numbers someone mentioned above?

I was just going to list an email to protect my privacy but someone said the ad might get passed by if there wasn't a number to call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

I listed mine on craigslist and got 8-10 calls from people who wanted to help sell my camper. Im in NY and used my cell phone. The calls mostly came from California. 1 caller said its a 250.00 charge but they will sell it. Only problem it was sold and picked up in 4 days so I pulled the ad and still got calls for 2 weeks. Others say they never had a problem. I have a kayak I want to sell and Im wondering how Im going to do it.. Good Luck!

19. gruss

gruss Active Member

Google voice works great, been using it since it was Grand Central.

I get the thing with No number and pass...but if someone emailed me, I got it on my phone and if they gave a number I called them right back.

So you may scare some away, others maybe not...I guess it depends how tolerant you are of the phone ringing, I can't have my personal phone ringing all day at work so that is the method I choose. I made the choice of a couple buyers maybe bypassing my ad either way if your PU is in good shape and fairly priced you're gonna get lots of hits.

As also mentioned use your extras as bargaining chips, to some they are worthless, to new PU owners (which your price point is probably targeting) they might be GOLD if they never camped before.

20. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

There were 5 PUP's in the Peoria paper today. When we were looking there were none. Craigslist they were gone in a day if they sounded good. (Last year). We ended up finding ours on RV Trader, paid cash and have had mostly minor problems from the thing not being used more than a couple of times. Guy took lots of pics (15) and that is what got us to drive 100+ miles. First stop at Sec of State down the road to transfer title and license. Good luck!