Anyone else sous vide?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by SeaPeeps, Jul 12, 2020.

1. SeaPeeps

SeaPeeps New Member

Heading out on Wednesday for a two nighter. I love to eat great food while we're camping and do as much prep/pre-cooking as possible at home. sous vide is ideal for this.

Decided our last night will be steak, potatoes, and asparagus night.

[​IMG]

For the steak, sous vide at 130 deg. for about an hour, then freeze prior to heading out so it stays cold in the cooler. At the campground, pat dry with paper towels, coat with oil, and then sear over roaring hot coals to get a nice crust on the outside and warm the inside - it will be perfectly medium rare throughout.

For the potatoes, 190 deg. for an hour and again into the freezer. At the campground, smash each potato flat and crisp up in the cast iron skillet.

Plan on grilling the asparagus over the coals and serving everything with chimichurri made at home and some nice red wine!

Would love to hear other ideas for pre-cooking using sous vide.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not my fortay, but i have done it a few times. Following along for the ride.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you just couldn't cook the food at the campsite.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you never tried it , its a diffrent type of cooking, so perfect stakes everytime. No overcooking. Grilling just adds to the outsode texture. And its sealed , so all done , basicly reheating it. Its a good idea for camping.

5. SeaPeeps

SeaPeeps New Member

Exactly, for steaks you get edge to edge perfect medium rare (or your temp of choice). No gray band of overdone steak. Picture below shows sous vide on the right and traditional grilled on the left.

upload_2020-7-12_19-39-6.jpeg

For the potatoes, they’re also perfectly cooked and ready to crisp in the skillet and eat. Everything vacuum sealed and cooler ready. No overcooked potatoes falling apart in the boiling water.

Plus with three young kids, it saves time, saves washing dishes in camp, and still allows excellent food while camping.

We are new to PUP camping but have been tent camping for a long time and enjoy the convenience while still eating great food while at the campsite.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I am familiar with the method. I would rather just cook at the campsite. I have used that method before and I don't prefer t.

7. SeaPeeps

SeaPeeps New Member

Got it, thanks for the input.

Toedtoes likes this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a friend who swears by it. I am not a fan myself though. Not my cup of tea but I can see where it would be good in some situations.

9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When my boy was in scouts, they used to do "bag omelettes" on a regular basis. Fill a zip lock bag with eggs, cheese, onions, etc, seal it up and throw it in a pot of boiling water. That's as close as I've done.

10. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

So, what is sous vide? We often do some prep and pre cooking, so I’m curious. (And I would rather read a camper’s application, than “JustGooglit”.[:)C])

SeaPeeps likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Looks like "Sous vide" just generates more trash to dispose of. But it French for "under vacuum", so it has to be better. I try not to cook anything in plastic.

12. SeaPeeps

SeaPeeps New Member

Sous vide is a precise method of cooking food in a water bath. You put food in a plastic bag and either vacuum seal it (sous vide is French for "under vacuum") or use a ziplock and use a water immersion technique to remove all the air from the bag. Then you use an immersion circulator to heat the water to an exact temperature and immerse the sealed food in the water to cook. Cooking can last an hour for steaks or veggies or up to 72 hours+ for pork shoulder, brisket, chuck roast, etc.

I sous vide food a lot at home and have started using it for camping prep as well. Food sealed in a vacuum bag and cooked will be safe for a long time in the cooler, plus the added benefit of leak free packaging in the cooler!

For instance, I cooked the steak I showed above at 130 deg. (perfect medium rare throughout) and put it in the freezer. At camp, I'll pull it out, pat it dry, and sear it over really hot coals or a roaring hot cast iron skillet to caramelize the outside and add that nice crust to a well cooked steak.

Traditional methods of cooking a steak result in a gray band of over cooked steak around the edges. With sous vide, you eliminate that overcooked portion (see steak picture above). In addition, you eliminate the potential of overcooking a pricey steak and ruining it. With sous vide there is no such thing as overcooking.

I could go on and on, I love sous vide and have been using it at home for 8 years or so. It's a game changer for home cooking and for camp cooking as well. Could I cook the steak over the fire like I used to? Sure but results vary and the chance of delivering an over cooked, tough steak to my family and friends are higher. It's not for everyone and I get a lot of people don't like it but am pretty confident that I could change their mind with a single campsite meal :).

Tom Jordan likes this.