Anyone else take the kitchen out of their camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by KeatesCamping, May 14, 2019.

1. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

We have a 1999 Starcraft Venture we just bought from our neighbors. Our main modification has been to take the portable stove and the tiny sink area out. We're very used to doing all of our cooking outside from 14 years of tent camping and personally, we don't like the idea of cooking food where we sleep since it's a small camper. Additionally, we are trying to keep it as light as possible for our old van to tow.
    We plan on getting stackable plastic drawers to put where the sink set up was, and some more shelving and hanging areas for where the cooking space usually is.
    Basically we are keeping our camper for sleeping, chilling, and eating and recreation when it's raining outside.
    Has anyone else done this?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im sure some have, just be aware that the cabanites are sometimes structural, so you may have to add something where they were to keep up the integrity of the walls.

Orchid and KeatesCamping like this.
  3. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

Ooh, good thinking. I don't think the sink one we removed was but I'll certainly mention it to my husband. Thank you!

4. ken1207

ken1207 Member

In my Jayco the stove was indoor/ outdoor, I don't bring it any more as we do all of our cooking outside on a better stove. Where the stove would go inside we do use stackable plastic drawers, works great. In my case I didn't have to remove anything structural. I did leave the tiny sink as we do use that yet.

HappyTraveler and KeatesCamping like this.
  5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We never used the indoor/outdoor stove indoors. Always carried it out. Almost never used the sink either. The camper came with a cover for the sink, so I would just put the cover on it and utilize the extra counterspace.

If your galley is a flip up, it wont be structural, but there will be a kill switch for the interior lights that you'll have to deal with.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We don't use the stove inside. We have metal shelves that we put over them that hold microwave and toaster oven. No need to remove the stove, as we just keep it closed. I would never part with the sink.

7. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

I'm planning on getting a toaster oven as well :) We moved the stove right out because it's quite heavy and we need to lighten the PUP as much as we can for our old van.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  8. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

We haven't found a way to get the interior lights working. Maybe that is why? The fridge works and the plug ins do as well. Where would the kill switch be located?

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I removed the stove as it was an indoor/outdoor model. In it's place the pup came with a counter top that fit and latched in the place of the stove. As for the sink we actually do use it for mostly brushing our teeth and washing up before cooking meals. The stove no longer travels with us as it sits in the garage loft gathering dust. We use a better stove to cook outside.

On our flip over galley the kill switch is located towards the back left. Not sure about your model.

10. eoleson1

On my old Starflyer, the galley flipped up for camping, down for travel. The switch was located between the galley that flipped up and the base that it was hinged to.

11. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

We'll have another look around when hubby gets home. Thank you!

12. eoleson1

Here's a picture for reference

Attached Files:

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We only cook with our movable stove outdoors and we removed the sink which was a flip over in our Jayco. Gives us a lot more counter space.

14. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

Hmm, there's nothing there, or anywhere else we can find. The bulbs are good. We just can' figure out about the wiring for them...why they aren't working when everything else is.

15. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

Ours was a flip over as well.

16. burtonfamily101

burtonfamily101 Member

I have a 1995 Spacemaster, I left the sink - Its pretty small anyway and a must with kids and the bathroom. But for as our removable stove, I took it out as I use our campchef oven or campchef grill every time. The old stove was too small and under powered for 8 or more people a night.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  17. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

18. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Yes indeed, we yanked ours out 10 years ago and never looked back. It freed up needed space, and like you, we use the camper to sleep in, not to hang out in. I built a chuck box for all our kitchen gear and set it up outside with stove for our beautiful outdoor kitchen. Works perfect.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Every popup will have a kill switch to prevent accidentally leaving the ceiling lights on when the roof is lowered to eliminate the chance of the tenting catching on fire. On many popups the manufacturer would use a galley mounted switch but others often placed the switch atop one of the lift arms. If you can't find this switch inside the camper then go outside and look up at the lift arms, you may just find it there.

20. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

Thank you so much! I'm sorry for sounding like a newbie. We literally just got this used from our neighbors last week and they had bought it from another person but decided on a hard side because they couldn't handle raising it manually. It's been hard finding schematics and such for it.