Anyone ever use Royal Purple products?

Mr. Bill

PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
I have run across a product called max ATF (transmission) and Purple Ice (radiator fluid) by Royal Purple. Anyone ever used them? I have a 2001 Ford Windstar and we are near the high limits of towing capacity (don't fear, PUP has brakes and I keep the speed down. I have never felt that I was unsafe in any situation while towing).

That said, I want to take every opportunity to keep the heat down in the transmission and engine as heat kills. I just don't want to use something that will cause premature engine or transmission death.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Good stuff their MAX ATF should be just right for your Windstar. You would want to get as much of the old fluid out as you can.

adamteja

Aug 17, 2009
Alpharetta, GA
I used the Synth Manual Trans Fluid in my Jeep Wrangler... certainly helped the cold weather shifting.

No claims on longevity as I sold the jeep @ 60K miles....

Twisty

Super Active Member
Aug 24, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
I put the gear oil in the rear end and the transfer case, put AT fluid in the tranny, use the motor oil in the engine and put ice in the cooling system.
My truck starts quicker, warms up faster, runs quieter and more smoothly, the engine revs more quickly and smoothly AND I get about 2 MPG more than I used to!!
I noticed changes in the tranny shifts too.
Autozone stocks the products and had the best prices too.

I dropped the tranny pan and installed a drain plug. All the fluid will not drain out when you pull the pan. After driving about 2 months, I pulled the plug, let it drain (about 5 quarts) then refilled the tranny. I have done that twice. IMO, which means nothing, once or twice more and I have flushed with success.

I also installed a B&M remote transmission oil filter. [;)]

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=27035.msg150791#msg150791

Grizzly_Wayne

Oct 7, 2010
Knoxville, Tn
I have used the motor oil for the last 4 years in my F150, and two years ago swapped out the gear oil for the same. I have 139,000 miles and still humming away.. towed a uhaul trailer twice from Tampa to Knoxville averaged 15 mpg...i swear by the stuff. I think next i am going to add the radiator fluid..

Mr. Bill

PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to put it in the transmission and coolant soon and oil at next change. I figured I would wait on the Transmission and coolant till I saw the post from Twisty. Thanks for all the help.

wicked4x4

Oct 14, 2010
i personally have not used the stuff yet, but my friend used it, swears by it, and never stopped using it, just like Twisty and Grizzly said: everything running smoother, cooler and better mpg, won't use anything else.

i asked him about the added cost of the stuff, he said he more than makes it up in increased mpg, and also the fact he's sure he'll get more life out of the truck.

i'll end up switching to it