Anyone ever used a slide in truck camper?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Yooperwannabe, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

The DH and I are considering buying a slide in truck camper to be used in addition to the popup. Just wondering if anyone on this forum has ever camped in one and what your experience was like.

2. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

I have never used one however I have always wanted one search truck camper on youtube there are tons of videos showing them in use they are incredible

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Kim Ciara had one last year when she came to the CO Rally, she had bought it after the Rally the previous year, when she had some issues with the coupler on her pup.

Last year, during the two weeks in CO, we saw more of the slide-in campers with pop- top than probably the total in 20+ years of camping.

4. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

A bazillion years ago, back in the mid 60s when I was a kid, my dad bought a 6 Pak (brand) slide in for our Datsun pick up. The running joke was "It sleeps four, packs six." We had six in our family, folks and four boys. I liked it. I think he kept it until moving to a smaller place in the late 80s, maybe.

If you're thinking about getting one, keep your GVWR in mind.

5. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

Yep, they are HEAVY! Make sure the TV is rated for such a load, and don't listen to the salesman!!!!!!!!

6. Yooperwannabe

If and that is if, we get one, it would be used and small. The DH has a Ford Ranger and that is why we are thinking of a slide in for that truck. We can't pull the popup with the Ranger but we have our choice of two vans for that task. We are just wanting something for the two of us want to slip away, no grandkids and no high gas mileage TV.

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

8. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

My friend bought a 1970's slide in for about $700. He used it quite a bit after doing some restore work on it. It was a nice little unit. It had everything my pup has and more. The top rack wasn't very roomy and hot in summer but warmest spot in winter.
    Thing I like about it was simplicity. Very little setup involved.
    You do have to have a decent sized full-size pickup for most of them though.

If I could afford the fuel of a large pickup I'd have one of those loaded slide-ins in a heartbeat.
    Pretty nice. and expensive... :)
    Arctic Fox A990S Truck Camper American RV Grand Rapids, MI

9. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

Its got more counter space than many HTT and TT's I've seen. I am always amazed at how well they use the space in one.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Are there any of these campers that would fit in a mid-size truck like a Ranger? All of the slide-ins I've seen look too big and heavy.

11. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Yes there are a few manufactures that produce them for the ranger etc

12. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Check out northstar truck camper s they have a cool popup truck camper

13. GearHd6

GearHd6 New Member

I had an early 90's 11 1/2' Jayco slide in truck camper. That is one thing I'll never do again. I thought it was going to be great but it was a bad idea for me. If it's your only mode or transportation you need to completely break down and pack up if you need to run out for anything. To me it's much easier to level up a trailer, unhook the TV and you're free to take off whenever you like. With the slide in I found myself not wanting to go anywhere due to having to breakdown and then set back up. Just my 2 cents though.

14. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

I agree with GearHd6 as reason #1.

Reason #2 is if you have a family of 4 or more you won't be comfortable.

Reason #3 new ones are very pricey and depending on the truck there may be an added expense for a bed spacer (Ford SD) requires one dealer installed=$900.

I have owned a 95 Sun-lite 8' popup and loved it for off-road boon-docking but I could not use it to haul game when deer/elk hunting.
    Before the Sun-Lite I had a 11' Lance on my 1 ton dually loved it to but could not go off-road boon-docking.
    Now with the pup and a Tepui - Gran Sabana Rooftop Tent I can pull the pup with ether my Grand Cherokee or Dodge 2500 as the tent will mount on both.
    They only weight 158 lbs!

Here is the website-http://www.tepuitents.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

We've had three slide-ins over the years. As seniors we gave up on the last one because of the problem of getting in and out of the bed and making it. There are many used ones on the market, just google "small truck campers". With only the two of you a slide-in should work and they have all the conveniences you have with your pup although I suspect the pup has more room for the two of you to move around in. After fifty years on the road we have tried all types of rv's and have yet to come across the perfect one.

16. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Words from the truly experienced.

From what I've read, the perfect camper does not exist. I'm beginning to believe that.

17. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I also agree, but is it the campers or is it human nature that is to blame?

18. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Just came back from the Springfield, MA RV Show, the truck slide in campers are too small for my family, but they would be awesome for boondocking in the wild. I found Northern Lite, looks like a real good camper.

19. Yooperwannabe

The reason we are thinking of getting a truck camper lies in the fact that we could haul my mobility scooter on the cargo carrier and still have a "camper". We are unable to do this with the popup, making it very difficult for my husband and I to camp alone, without my daughter and all of her kids. I truly enjoy camping with the whole family but it is not always convenient for my daughter and of course there are times when DH and I would love to camp alone. I can't foresee us ever using the popup to stay anywhere for a long period of time, but would like find one that can be taken off the truck and stand alone on legs. The popup would then be used when the rest of the camping family is in tow, giving us two vehicles.

Thanks so much for the help and replies so far, please keep the input coming.

20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I've never used one or been in one, but unless it's two of you and it's a smaller pop up style one, I'd run away from the idea.

I have a 3/4 ton, a slide in would be the LAST thing I'd consider...the whole idea scares me...high center of gravity, high sides for cross wind, can't leave the camp site once set up etc.

As far as your scooter...can you not load it in the back of the pickup with ramps and tow the pup?