Anyone ever used a slide in truck camper?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Yooperwannabe, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Farmer Dave, our popup is too heavy to be pulled by the little Ranger and yes, we are thinking the small type of slide in, with the popup top would be idea for just the two of us.

2. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

There are several websites dedicated to truck campers.
    One is this one: www.truckcampermagazine.com.
    Many great articles on camping and truck camping, reviews of models and links to all who sell them.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping!

3. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

I had a slide in pop-up for some 10 years or so and really liked it . It was a shadow cruiser that a buddy of mine bought nearly new and I purchased it from him.. He and I used it for years to go to Bluegrass festivals and it worked well for us.
    It was fairly easy to install it and take off but I mostly left it on all summer during the festival season.. Dry weight was like 800 lbs .. I traded it in couple of years ago as I found it too hard to in and out of with my back. Also I had to climb up into the top bunk and found that hard.. The table laid down into a bed which my buddy used .. All in all it served us well and after I traded it of course everyone said why didn't you tell me , I would have bought it.. lol.... The dealer really didn't want it as his wife told him he would never get rid of it. ( some 23 yrs old but in good shape).. He sold it in less than a week.
    So if there is only the two of you and you are in good physical shape, then by all means go for it .. the down side is of course once you set up , you cant really leave the campground as such., and the room inside is limited but adequate..

my2cents worth...

4. Yooperwannabe

camper2009, thanks for your two cents worth. The physical shape is part of what i am worried about but assumed that with steps or a foot stool I could get in and out of the camper and I could sleep on the dinette bed, rather than the climbing onto the top bunk. DH is in rather good phyiscal health, thank God.

5. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

I'll confirm that. Getting up and down the steps could be a challenge. My friend stopped using his when his wife's Multiple Scorlosis prevented her from safely getting up and down. The top rack is a little bit of a challenge to climb in but if you can get up and down the steps you shouldn't have any problem with the rack.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Sorry I missed your earlier comment on the Ranger not being able to tow your PUP. My Dad has a newer Ranger and it came with factory Class 3 rec hitch etc so I just assumed they were good to tow small trailer like a PUP.

I just looked up some Ranger towing tables for fun, and looks like they have pathetically low tow ratings unless you have the big 4.0 V6. The mid level 3.0 V-6 would just barely cope with most unloaded 12' PUPs, let alone the 1500lb rating of the 4cyl.

Slide in popup on a Ranger should work for you. Just watch your payload capacity, since if the tow ratings are low, the box weight rating won't be very high either.

7. Yooperwannabe

I believe we have decided to stop pursuing the truck camper idea. We were hoping to find something very inexpensive, wanting nothing more than a place to sleep and to sit comfortably while riding out a downpour or etc, as we would spend most of our time outside and always cook outside. I thought having a truck camper would allow us to transport my scooter on the cargo carrier hitch. We do have a van, which we pull our popup with but to transport the scooter, the DH has to remove all the back seats and ramp the scooter into the back of the van..... lots of work.....then he still has to set the pup up with out much help from me. I end up feeling very guilty at the amount of work he has to do for me to enjoy my love of camping. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't complain, I just wanted to lighten his load.

After doing lots of searching, I/we have decided that the little Ranger is not suitable for a truck camper. Looks like DH is stuck doing more than his share of work and I shall try to be very nice to him while camping. LOL

Thanks for all the advice and help. My friends here at the portal are great.

8. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I had not read this post before, so I had to read at least the last page... I am glad you made the decision you did. We have (younger) friends we have camped with for years and they had a truck camper, but it was not a pop up. They use a small wooden stepladder to enter and exit. Well I was already in my 60's, still in reasonable good health but that ladder scared me... getting in wasn't bad but I had to back out while holding on to the door frame. (NOT PRETTY!)

I also have a wonderful DH and he does all the hard (strength required) work, I help with leveling boards and chocks, but he does the cranking up and stabilizers. Then I can join in and help with pulling out the bunks and securing the canvas. I can even put in the door, but I have yet to be able to get the 'shepherd's hook poles' into the bunk ends, they are just too tight for me to do. (I truly admire the ladies that go solo... maybe 20 years ago!) After that I take over and set up the inside to my liking... DH calls it my dollhouse! I also help with setting up our add a room, it's not heavy but really requires a helping hand to get it up quickly.

Because of age, I tend to be cautious on steps. We keep a metal folding step stool in the camper that is used when we set up the add a room... or in the beginning when we would forget to to unfurl the bag awning [:O]. It is a lightweight metal two step that the back frame is about 3' high. I keep this sitting sideways next to the camper step, that way I can use the back of the stool as a hand rail when entering or exiting the camper. It's rather funny, I need and use the 'hand rail' but many younger guests use it, too!

I wish you many more years of happy camping!!!

Diane

9. jd4x4

jd4x4 New Member

Before you give up totally... I'm a camper newbie but I bought a used Starcraft pop-up slide-in last year to evaluate how likely the wife & I are to actually camp, and if we would really use a big camper when she retires (I'm already early retired). We previously tent camped on our motorcycle trips, but not really since in the last bunch of years we always said "nah..let's just get a motel" at the end of the day. [:D]

So far we both love it. Already thinking of places to go over the summer.

If you go the slide-in route I think Palomino might make something to fit a Ranger but I don't know Ranger specs. Their Bronco models are pretty light at 1056 to 1394lbs dry http://www.palominorv.com/bronco/default.aspx. I would look at used 3/4 ton pickups but my Starcraft vehicle plate says it weighs 1576 lbs and I bought my son-in-law's F150 1/2 ton which carries the weight well but it's at the top limit for the truck when we're loaded. It could use beefier rear springs for firmer handling but I drive slower & more cautiously in my older years.

As far as room, I can sleep either on the dinette/cushions or up over the cab with the wife (when I get the energy to climb up there) :) And even though you need to get in to crank the top up it's pretty easy. Once the top is up the rear door opening is full height. You need a small 2 or 3 step folding stepladder though to get in/out. You can even sit at the dinette without raising the top if you just want to get out of the rain or have a quick bite or rest. Can't use the stove without raising the top though or you'll melt the top's windows. [:O]

Here in Maryland and Pennsylvania you seem to find older used Starcraft and Palomino pop-ups pretty regularly in the classifieds at cheap prices. I think out west pop-up slide-ins are more popular with 4 wheeler trucks due to their low profile, and they have even lighter weight makes/models but seem pretty pricey.

One final note about putting spacers under the slide-in... the dense (not styrofoam) foam insulation board (urethane?) that's sold at Home Depot or Lowes works fine, comes in various thicknesses, also insulates, is light weight, and doesn't compress. Search the web for recommendations under a camper.

10. HC

HC New Member

livin lite camplite 5.7 weighs 1,100 pounds. they also make a slide tent camper.

11. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Hey all. I guess I am eating some crow as I just bought me a new 2013 Palomino 1200 slide-in(darn feathers are hard to chew).
    I did say I cant haul elk or deer with a slide-in(wrong again)a little harbor freight trailer takes care of that.
    I have noticed that yes it is a bit smaller and missing one bed but it is a heck of allot easier to set up as it is 4 latches 17 cranks on the lift, drop the steps flip top of door up, grab brewski from the very large fridge and campchair from floor of camper sit down and enjoy. 10 minutes from level to brewski! [;)]