Anyone every closed up because of wind?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Aladin Sane, May 22, 2017.

1. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We never had until this weekend. We were using the pup as a guest room for one of my cousins high school graduation celebrations. Saturday night my wife, daughter and I were sleeping in our pup parked in the yard on my cousins farm in northwest Iowa. I estimate the winds were a sustained 30 to 40 miles an hour with higher gusts. The wind was hitting the pup square on the side with the bump out, do maximum canvas was catching the wind. At 5:00 am after nearly no sleep, my wife announced we were getting up and closing the camper before it got flipped. I was more concerned about the lift arms getting bent than actually flipping, but I didn't argue with her. We have pupped in storm conditions before, but nothing that matched this for strength and duration. There was little to no precipitation, just sustained high winds.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Only once did we ever close up because of wind. We were in Glacier NP in 2010 and we were staying at the St. Mary CG. We woke up one morning to watch the sunrise and we came back to go back to sleep. Well, we got woken up by the wind and we were planning on being out most of the day (returning after dinner) and it was so windy that we decided it would be a good idea to close up the pup since we would not be around all day. On our way out of the campground we noticed several other folks with pups were bracing their roofs with 2x4's. We figured they knew about the wind in the area!! It was best for us to close it up, then to worry all day about the pup. Just a note, when we travel cross country we are minimalists when it comes to packing. So there wasn't that much to move around to close it up. Took us maybe 15-20 minutes.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My family was camping in Myrtle Beach. They were talking about a storm hitting but at the last minute it turned into a tropical storm in the middle of the night. Damaging winds and the rain, OMG the rain, pelted the camper we didn't get a wink of sleep and as the winds increased the closer the storm got we ended up closing the camper and sleep in the car. Next morning it was a clear beautiful day, but that was a scary time. That was the only time the camper was put down in the middle of a trip. Although once had to use my SUV as a wind buffer to prevent high winds from hitting the camper broadside during a Nasty thunderstorm. There was no trees anywhere on the grassy hill I was camped on.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  4. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We already had the crew cab super duty parked to block the wind. It wasn't enough.

5. silvermickey2002

Same thing happened to us in Myrtle Beach back in 2009 (Ocean Lakes CG). The wind just kicked up about 1:00 in the morning. I pull my truck next to it to help block the wind. It did help a lot, but the pup roof was still swaying. We did not close the pup up! What a wild night!! We were all exhausted the next day. Our friends had a TT and they thought their TT was going to flip. They said the whole trailer was rocking. In the morning there were quite a few folks with their awnings damaged. We rolled our awning up and zipped it back into the bag. We even took down our easy up canopy. Funny though, after that trip we never really used the awning as much as when we first got the pup.

In the morning when we finally woke up the sun was shining and there was not a breeze!!! That whole day was beautiful!!!

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Never had to close early, but had to do the same thing, parked the truck to block wind and actually ran rope from the top of the trailer to the truck to brace the trailer.

7. chambo

chambo Active Member

I was on one trip where I was considering throwing in the towel. It's pretty tough to gauge wind speed because the PUP exaggerates/amplifies the wind sounds. The canvas flapping against the lift posts and sheppard poles made it sound worse than I suspect it really was. We survived the night but didn't get much sleep. The next morning was clear and gorgeous. I was walking the trash up to the dumpster and noticed a very new looking tent hastily tossed into the dumpster. I could just picture a frustrated couple on their first camping trip leaving in the middle of the night deciding to never, ever go camping again.

8. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

The closest we ever came was at Buffalo Bill State Park in Cody, Wyoming. The wind picked up one afternoon and was gusting like mad. It must have been hitting 40 mph or better. My wife and I sat inside the swaying camper for a few wild minutes wondering if we should drop the top, when it finally began to slowly subside.

It was pretty scary there for a bit, and the indecision didn't help. If there's a next time, I'll be safe and take her down.

9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

One time. We were in Kinston, NC at the Neuse River CG. 35-55 winds. Took no chance.

10. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I was very close to heading to a pit toilet due to wind. Luckily the pup was still hooked to the car and fully set up and the wind was coming head on. Weather reports said 55 mph winds. I thought it was possibly a tornado so I called an emergency number and was told no tornadoes but it was high winds. This was in the middle of a CA to MN road trip while set-up in WY. It was a little scary and I am completely surprised my 1973 canvas held up!! My son slept right through it all!

I did not think to try and close up the pup as that would probably be very dangerous alone. I had thought of heading to the concrete pit toilet.

11. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Major storm across the Dakotas and Montana, last June. We heard stories of tornadoes and hail from other campers, the rest of the two weeks of our trip. We were at Badlands NP when it hit. I could hear every wind gust blast before it rocked our camper. I would push against the roof to brace it against the wind. It was a long night.

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Some of my childhood camping memories are of high winds and the pup.

At grandparents farm in southern Illinois, my parents closed the pup as we kids stood on the farm house porch and watched a tornado go through the next farm about a mile away. (In spite of growing up in the Midwest, that's the only tornado I've actually seen.) My grandfather parked some vehicle next to the pup to shelter it.

On a road trip to Yellowstone, our car spent the day getting repaired in Utah (don't ask what the problem was, it was about 50 years ago and I was a kid). We were off our planned route because of the repair and spent the night in a barren campground at a large reservoir. The wind howled that night; I thought we were going to take off any minute. My dad hitched the pup to the car. The pup was a Bethany Chief and the beds folded out to the sides. I suspect that my parents had a long sleepless night, but the pup survived just fine.

13. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Worst we have been set up thru was a storm, similar to first post, 40 mph sustained, 50+ gusts. With the rain as well, we did not sleep until the most of the storm had blown over around 3:00 AM. Roof was really swaying, winds were hitting us mostly on the corner rather than the full side exposure. Figured that was about as bad as we will ever stay in. Had we had less gear and people in the pup, closing up might have been a better option.

14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Have been in the pup with wind gusts exceeding 55 mph and never thought of closing up. One time, camping NW or Moab, I thought I might wake up in Grand Junction. Pups can take quite a hit before damage.

15. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Our very first camping trip way back in 1984 with our first PUP. We were at Lakeside SP in Western NY when a very strong wind storm blew in off Lake Ontario. It was in late evening and not knowing the strength of the camper to take on the storm, we decided to close the PUP. It was a good decision because the wind was the precursor to a very strong thunder storm which caused some damage in the park. Almost threw the towel in on camping but as time would tell, we continued on to today.

16. silvermickey2002

We love to go camping!! I always check the weather reports for the area before we go and during the trip. If I get a bad feeling about the weather then down it comes. So far only the one time we took it down. I now have a NOAA weather radio that I plan on taking on all our trips.

17. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

This spring we were camped at a Walmart in Ks. Wow the wind went crazy we have an A-Liner and were much concerned about the thing blowing apart when letting it down we found a box truck to park by to cut the wind down otherwise I guess we would still be there!!

18. silvermickey2002

Wait, you camped at a Walmart? I assume you were traveling and just spent the night there!!

19. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

our big trip from Maryland to Yellowstone - out in the midwest, the winds would kick up every night and we learned not put out our awning. The winds were just too much and rolling that up in the middle of the night on a highwall pup was not fun. We were kinda getting used to the winds.... but on our way back to Maryland we were in Spearfish South Dakota, was the worst - there was 50 mph winds and tornado watches. All night long, our pup rocked and rattled, and the tenting flapping away all night. I did not get much sleep as I kept checking the weather on my phone for the tornado watch to turn to something worse. It was not a fun night but we did not really consider packing up the pup. In the morning, we found that the wind had pushed our 3800 lb camper forward several inches as evidenced by the "skid" marks the stabilizers left in the gravel. Luckily there was no damage to the pup.

20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

we camp at a lot of walmarts!!!