Anyone flip the axle on a highwall before?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by bondebond, Sep 25, 2012.

1. bondebond

bondebond New Member

First, for those who can't resist, I already know that I did not flip the axle. I used a Dexter Over/Under Conversion Kit. The axle is still in the proper camber. Most everyone knows, however, what I am referring to when using the term "axle flip".

Having just completed this project this weekend, I am taken aback by how large and high the highwall now seems. It was tall before but even more so now. Freakishly so.

Has anyone else done this to a high wall unit? I don't believe I've seen it elsewhere. I am quite curious. And if so, can you share pictures?

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

with details in this thread.

2. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Wow that pup looks huge....

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Your going to need a 6 ft ladder to deploy the awning if you forget to drop it before you raise the roof. [:O]
    You'll also need that ladder if you need to pack the awning due to windy conditions after you've set up. [:O] [:O]
    I carried a 4 ft ladder just for that purpose for my 07 Avalon and that wasn't lifted.
    Probably need an extra step too. And taller stabilizers..
    Looks great. Makes that Toyota look like a toy.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I really do think I'm going to need to strap a ladder on somewhere, maybe under it since there's now enough room under the frame. I was able to deploy using the horizontal support poles that I store in the rear bumper to open the zipper and let it roll down. Now that I've attached velcro to hold the rolled up awning in place inside the bag, that theory's out the window.

I made these last night to go under the stabilizers, so that helps in that regard.
    [​IMG]

And I picked up a little step stool for the slide out single step. I think I will eventually replace that with a two-step model.

Admittedly, the angle of the camera due to the yard constraints, combined with the improper height on the hitch and the sag in the 4Runner's rear help to accentuate the size, but it's still a bit of a beast, visually.

I'm hoping someone else has done this to a high wall and loved it eventually. Going on Day 2 of it sitting in my driveway, almost looking like a TT.

I may have a slightly used Dexter Over/Under conversion kit for sale sometime soon... [;)]

5. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Ahh, I did find another one.

[​IMG]

so now I have to change my sig.

6. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I had the axle moved under the springs at the dealership before I took possession of the unit. No regrets so far. The extra ground clearance is nice to have. I do have to use an extra portable step, makes an easier egress into and out of the unit. Like everyone else I have to use blocks for my stabilizers to work properly. [8D]