Anyone found solutions for worn out Velcro?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by davekro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

The vertical Velcro strips that (used to) hold the covers for the four corner SS roof supports no longer attach. Has anyone found a simple way to replace these strips? Short of that, anyone attach 4-5 Velcro pieces along the area?

I was just watching a Coleman video saying they don’t have covers because water that goes down their drains out the bottom unlike other manufactures where it would find its way to the floor if it drip down the rails. Anyone know if ‘99 era StarCraft’s would suffer from water draining down the roof rails to the floor?

I had always assumed the covers were just for aesthetic reasons.

2. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Easy take the panels off and sew some velcro or get some sewed at your local shoe repair shop, easy and cheap

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

First make sure the hook side is cleaned out then with a water hose handy try this.

davekro likes this.
  4. davekro

davekro Active Member

Excellent Billy! I will try my new investment in a heat gun for this task. And thanks for getting me over to Youtube on this problem. I learned that super glue works well for replacing the hook side if needed.
    Also, I used to clean the loop side I used to use a small sharp pointy tool to s l o w l y remove lint from each row individual row. This Youtube shows to use a file cleaner wire brush and in a few strokes, the entire hook side is super clean!
    File card brush: https://smile.amazon.com/Osborn-Int...570282624&sprefix=file+cleaner,aps,306&sr=8-1
    I just tried a well used 1/2" wide wire brush and it worked much faster than using the sharp prongs of a corn cob holder I used to used to clean my sandal straps, but I just ordered the file card brush to clean the yards of Velcro on my pup. :eek:)

Billy, thanks again for this great Velcro hack!! !

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just some fyi, super glue will fall off in the cold. So if your camper isnt in a nice warm place in the summer. You need to find something else. ( model guys put there models in the freezer to break the CA off.)