Anyone get a synvisc knee injection?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by BarbaraFaith, Jun 21, 2013.

1. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

For awhile, I have had knees that tell me when it is going to rain. Last week, I limped around the campground when we camped with friends. I had an MRI last week, and was told I have little to no cartilidge in my right knee. I had a good amount of fluid removed from me knee and had a cortisone injection with good relief. The MD suggested that I get a synvisc injection. Anyone had a similar experience?

2. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

I have been getting it every 6 months in my right knee. It is a barometer too. Been doing the condroiton/glucosamine too and that helped.

They are keeping the surgeon away so far so no knee replacement, yet!!

Jerry in MA

3. MamaK

MamaK Member

Had one about 6 years ago. Was told I was bone on bone at the time. It made little to no difference, but neither had the condroitin/glucosomine. Different Dr. tried cortisone about a year later, some relief for a few months but not the 6 months that was preferred for continued injections. Knee replacement four years ago with a second one 6 months later. Took a little while, but I'm moving almost as well as I was before the knees started going south. Some things are still a bit tricky, but the quality of my life has improved-back to dancing, long walks including hikes in roughish terrain and even kneeling.

4. jjayman3

jjayman3 New Member

Sorry to bring this topic back up. When you say you had knee replacement was it with titanium or from donor bone and cartilage? I am missing a quarter size piece of cartilage and more is chipping off. Made the decision to have a donor bone and cartilage replacement. Now I'm just waiting for an unfortunate donor. Anyone have any experience?

I had one scope to use my existing cartilage but it was too mangled to be repined into place. Now I can feel more bits and chunks floating around.

Only upside, my internal barometer is about 90% correct for crappy weather. Downside, when crappy weather comes around I want to crawl into bed and cry.

5. CGChief97

CGChief97 Camping together since 2014

DW just had a partial knee replacement two weeks ago. She had no cartilage in the medial aspect of her right knee and five bone spurs. She was miserable! She had the "rooster comb" injections (a series of three) but they did not help for very long.
    Now she is almost two weeks post-op and beginning to be glad she had the surgery.
    Hope and pray things work out well for y'all!

6. cham5

cham5 Member

I started the whole process with my first arthroscopic miniscus repair 20 years ago. Two more repairs after that the doctor did the rooster injections. Lasted me about two weeks. I had a partial replacement 6 years ago and for the most part I am pleased and wish I had done it sooner. I am 53 years old. I cannot kneel unless on a nice thick pad and even then I will be sore afterward but it passes quickly. The knee is still a trustworthy barometer but nothing like it was before. Good luck with your treatment.

7. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

I had my first arthroscopy when I was 25. I'll be 64 next month. I've been subjected to 30 plus years of injections and sure fire cures that didn't spark.
    I had a left total knee replacement in September of 2009. I planned it so it wouldn't interfere with motorcycle riding.

I went from being married to a cane, to not being able to find one in the house three months later. I have said, time and again, that I wish they would have done it when I was 30. Next week they are going to replace the right one. Not worried about motorcycle season this time. I'll be on it by my birthday.

8. brinklee

brinklee New Member

I have had Hylgan ( Not sure of spelling ) It is a series of 5 shots 1/wk for 5 wks. They last about a year. There are others that are 1/wk for 3 wks They didn't work at all. The 5wk ones have been great for me. I am 82 & will be 83 in dec. I would suggest you check on that I've had both knees done and was told the right is bone on bone. The other isn't much better. Good Luck whatever you do

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Barbara, I had Synvisc shots for years and fortunately, got at least 6 months out of each one. I would still do them, if needed. A few falls later, arthroscopic surgery that did more damage than good. A year later, a full left knee replacement. Like everyone else, I wish they had done it a LOT sooner ( just turned 54) because I acquired multiple back, neck and nervous system damage in a wreck, and would have healed a LOT better had they not had to work around the other stuff. This past Winter set me back in the pool, and I am STILL only about 65%. Now that I can get out, I'm going back to walking in the pool. This should help me strengthen ALL my ails! [A]

I basically am just saying the Synvisc shots, if they work for you, will be wonderful!! [A] [A]

[:D]

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I also have knee problems and my right one has no cartilage left. My doc said that knee replacement is inevitable but that I can probably wait a couple more years if cortisone or Synvisc work for me. He suggested trying cortisone first. I got a shot and it lasted three months. It was wonderful. I could do things that I had not been able to do for years. I'll stick with cortisone as long as I can but if it stops working for me I'll try the Synvisc.

11. gkraps

gkraps Member

My problems started way back in junior high school, playing basketball on the backyard concrete slab. Then four years of high school basketball and track. Then it was off to junior college and two more years of basketball. afre that, it was city league basketball, volleyball and lots of other activities.

In 2009 I had a total right knee replacement