Anyone go camping over Easter break?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by ken in md, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ken in md

ken in md New Member

It was cold, did anyone brave the elements?

We did - five nights at Harpers Ferry KOA in WV. We planned this a while ago and had some second thoughts when we saw how cold it was - but went ahead with it. Saturday day wasnt bad, actually had shorts on. The place was pretty busy Fri and Sat, but the other nights it was pretty sparse. We were the only popup in the place and almost headed home (nearby) a couple of nights - but we hung in there.

A lot colder than we would have liked but the kids had fun and between the furnace and the reflectix bunk end inserts we did OK. Went through a LOT of propane, though...

2. kelknight84

kelknight84 New Member

We did two nights at Fort Desoto right on the water. It was down in the 30-40's which is freezing in Florida and the winds were in the 20mph range so we spent lots of time inside the PUP, which was okay because we got to test the furnace and play around with other things that needed attention. Then we ran out of propane in the middle of the night and froze...oops! Had to get a refill for night 2.

3. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

80 degrees on Gooseberry Mesa outside of Zion National Park!

4. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

We did one night at a nearby state park (Jubilee College SP) on Friday night. Both Friday and Saturday had decent weather (mid-upper50's) but overnight was COLD. I didn't bother filling the propane before leaving (had only 7 or so lbs in it before leaving) as I expected the electric space heater would be enough, but then had to resort to running the propane heater a bit to supplement the electric heater because it just couldn't keep up. Luckily we had just enough propane to make it through the night. When making breakfast in the morning, the stove was only capable of running one burner at a time at any decent level of heat!

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

No, southwest desert is a huge Spring Break destination for families. Wanted to go to Zion National Park but no camp sites were open. Also, wanted to avoid higher elevations that are colder. Enjoying high 70s weather too much.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I suppose Valley of Fire in NV was a zoo too?

7. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

We went up to Amicalola Falls SP in Northern Georgia. It was a bit cold and we got some of this funny white stuff all over the place. [LOL]
    [​IMG]

8. rexlxg

rexlxg Member

we went for 7 nights at Fort Clinch State Park ( FL ) . Rain for the first day and a half,
    then cold & windy for the next four days, then when it started to get just right it
    was time to go back home. But we had fun ( because we were camping ).

9. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Kids are on Spring Break this week. We leave for Cajun Palms in Henderson LA Thurs and return on Sun. Mid 70's to low 80's. I'm counting the seconds.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Had a meet and greet with a couple of other Portal members at Cedar Point Cg in Croatan NF here on the coast of NC. Friday night was about 39 and Saturday night 42 daytime highs were upper 50's low 60's. Great time had by all.

11. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Most likely. However, I gave it much consideration. I just finished a backcountry trip in Death Valley National Park so I didn't want to drive down I15 again so soon. Also, DW was only willing to camp locally since she is not feeling so well (going to Denver CO later this month for a battery of tests regarding her severe asthma).

12. Indy

Indy Member

[​IMG]

We had a great campout at Martin Dies Jr SP in Jasper, TX. We got to hold a baby alligator - here's DS taking his turn. Great nature program! We also took lovely 3-mile hike through the forest. Winds were too high to canoe, and we alternated heat and A/C at times. The weather was all over the place.

We made delicious s'mores with mini chocolate bunnies and peeps on graham crackers.

Easter camping at its finest!!!

13. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

We camped in Indiana and Tennessee. We had snow, rain and sun. Evening temps were 30 or so. We used sleeping bags, electric blankets and a space heater and ended up being hot some of the nights. We ran the furnace every once in a while, but thankfully, didn't need it for the most part. Even though March is unpredictable, we always try to go somewhere for the entire break, it gives us something to plan and look forward to during the less-than-pleasant Illinois winters, and is one of the few times we can get a stretch where the kids' activities and sports do not get in the way. Sadly, as they get older, I think even that free time won't be free much longer.

14. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

We stayed 4 nights in the South Campground in Zion and it was a zoo! We go the last spot on a Sunday morning luckily. Every day after that the vultures were circling starting about 815am looking for people leaving. I have never had such a crowded outdoor experience in my life (campground and the Zion park).

15. kmkellar

kmkellar New Member

We spent time in the pup, however "camping" doesn't really apply. Mom and dad are trying out there big new retirement present you can see in the background.

[​IMG]

I told em we could call it "resorting". Three nights at KOA Lake Conroe. Good weather, the rain held off except for a bit overnight Saturday.

16. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Two nights (a shakedown trip, no less) at Goodell Creek in North Cascades NP. Low 60's each day, low 40's at night. Ended up testing out the capability of the furnace a little bit.

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

kmkellar=like your Pup better then the Retirement Rig! [CP]

A lot of Folks come to our CG for Easter every year. We have a big Easter Dinner in the Clubhouse and An Easter Egg Hunt for the Kiddos at The Bay Oaks Rec Center near by. It's fun to see the Kids grow [8D]

18. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

We spent 2 nights at Lake Fairfax County Park in Reston, VA so we could be close to the Nat'l Air & Space Udavar-Hazy Center. It was a bit breezy with a high of 59 & a low of 30. 1 space heater kept the trailer warm the entire time. The furnace never kicked on. We all use sleeping bags (I line ours with flannel sheets), so we were quite comfortable through the nights. The campground is undergoing major renovation, so all units had to be self contained (bath house under construction). We had 1 other camper on Fri & another arrived on Sat. Other than that, we had the place to ourselves.

19. Sportside

Sportside Member

We spent Easter weekend trying out the new camper @ the KOA in Mystic Ct. It was a little cold at night, but otherwise great weather!

20. Graham

Graham New Member

We spent 3 days at Oak Thicket on Lake Fayette which is about a 1 1/2 hours outside of Houston. Weather was great. Constant breeze off the lake. I don't have any pictures of the site but we did stop to take a couple of quick pictures in the Blue Bonnets. The kids would sit still long enough so the dog was the only one who had a good picture.

[​IMG]