Anyone install clear vinyl on bunk end windows

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by cfmx, May 30, 2014.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I would love to figure out a way to install clear vinyl on each bunk end.
    Anyone come up with a solution for this?

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I'll bet that it has been done.
    I'd like to see some pics [;)]

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

That is the one thing I would change or add on the Bayside. Some days it's just too cold or windy to have the fabric open, but I want the light. [:(]

(OOO brainstorm-thinking-outside-the-box! How about some kind of Velcro attachment to hold the clear vinyl to the screen or fabric. I'll have to study on that some more . . . )

4. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I'm not sure I understand?
    Clear vinyl? I mean....doesn't the pop up windows already have 'tinted' vinyl that allows "plenty" of light to come thru??

Not understanding the question.

5. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Now I see...the BUNK ends....yes. the bunks do have that opaque fabric on the interior....that can either have it zipped up (which then you can't see out) or open...which then you have the mesh screen but the wind and cold can blow in.....

good idea about the "clear vinyl" barrier.

Kinda like the tinted vinyl that's on the sides of the PUP near the galley and the door....I see.....said the one-eyed man in the land of the blind....

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you're willing to shell out some money, a local awning or boat canvas place might be able to re-work the bunk ends to include the vinyl. Maybe Bear Creek Canvas or Canvas Replacements have done this mod.

7. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I think you'd still have to have two layers of the vinyle. One that would be clear...the other tinted for those private nighttime or daytime occasions though.

it's a great idea...even better is the "add-on" mod to the existing screens/zipper area......

good ideas guys...

8. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

This is something I was wondering about last year, too! The Velcro add on is a great idea I think! On mine at least, I'd I have to put the Velcro along the bottom on the screen to keep it tight though. Interested to see if this has been done.

9. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I bought the tinted vinyl now I just need some time to figure this out. I have a couple of ideas but will need to test.
    Kids will be out of school and hopefully I will have a little more time to play. :)

10. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

I did a search on this and someone posted a photo from another forum. The description was it was plexiglass held on with Velcro. I wonder if it was on the outside maybe? Curious what you'll come up
    With. I've thought about this a lot over the past few days.

11. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

wheres' the link to the velcro/plexi idea?

12. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

13. cma7777

cma7777 Member

If I ever have to replace the canvas on our hybrid, that's exactly what I would like for Bear Creek to figure out for me. I wonder if it's possible. We had the clear vinyl windows in the slide out of our previous pup.

14. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

I have thought of this also, it would come in handy depending on the weather.

And it should be possible... the Bear Creek Canvas we had on our old Coleman had that idea on the main body part of the canvas and other campers are like that as well. There was screen on the outside, then a zippered tinted vinyl layer, and then a zippered canvas layer on the inside. Our current coleman just has the screen layer and a zippered clear vinyl layer on the main part of the camper with curtains for privacy, no zippered interior canvas flap except on the bunkends.

if they can do it on the body part of the canvas they should be able to do it on the business. The only downside I can think of is that they might be a little more bulky or stiiff to fold up when closing the trailer... especially when cold.

It will be interesting to see how someone's mod works.

15. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

The link to the pics was broke. Anyone come up with any ideas yet?