Anyone mount speakers?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by LIDadX3, Jan 2, 2016.

1. LIDadX3

LIDadX3 "We've got to get ourselves back to the garden..."

Hi Everyone!

I've been a tent camper in the past but am on the verge of purchasing a PUP from a neighbor. I am a music lover and can barely do anything without some music playing.

I have been thinking of some ways to set up some speakers either mounted outside the camper or even connection points on the outside.

What do you all do for music while at the campsite?

Thanks!

2. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS Gold Supporting Member

We have two of these and the smart phone app to stream stereo bluetooth through them from my iPhone. Great separation, unimpressive bass, easy to keep close so I can keep the volume reasonable and still drown out the neighbors if necessary. But best sound comes from putting them a 15 feet away and 20 feet apart and cranking them up, but I only do that in an empty campground.

That said, I want a sound system that's permanent and can play a.m. radio for baseball games. So I'm in the market too.

3. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS Gold Supporting Member

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Our Coleman E1 came with a CD head unit and speakers mounted inside and out. I'm an audiophile and a division of my company installs pro entertainment venue audio systems.

Having said that, what do we do for music at the campsite? Nothing, we never play music when camping. I like the sound of nature, that's one of the reasons we go camping. I'll get back to music when I get back to asphalt and concrete and my office desk.

5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I'm with HiFi Dave,
    I like the sound of nature when camping and prefer no music. When I'm at home, it's a different story.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

I too am an audiophile (Headbanger) who would rather listen to music than watch T.V. at home / work / shop

*DISCLAIMER* Others in the campground will neither want to hear your music nor share your taste in Genre... no matter what it is. Even if you play my favorite song, chances are I won't want to hear it while camping.
    So have consideration of others and if you can hear it ONE SITE PAST your campsite, turn it down!
    Or better yet, do like I do at CG's and wear earbuds on your Ipod.

That said, when we are alone, boon-docking or at camp backyard....

I bought an underdash radio mount like this for my Kenwood head unit that was not being used...

[​IMG]

I did a lot of eBay searching to find two Yamaha satellite speakers that were the correct ohms and fit nicely next to the cabinet on the interior. I found "L" brackets that lined up to their mounting holes.

[​IMG]

To locate the mounting brackets on the cabinet I used some double face 3M tape.

[​IMG]

Pulled the covering off tape then held the speaker in place about 30 seconds, then unbolted the speakers and left the mounts stuck in place. I then attached the mounts to the cabinet with pan head screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the exterior I am going to use 4" PVC pipe caps and short sections of pipe inserted, glued and trimmed flush with the end of the cap to double the wall thickness then install my Marine grade 4" round 3-way speakers. You can also use 6" PVC and speakers

[​IMG]

This guy mounted his on a roll bar but I will attach them with more "L" brackets on each side. I want to used threaded inserts in the PVC and wing nuts to attach the pods to the brackets so I can remove them when not in use, but here you can see the finsished pods for an idea.

[​IMG]

7. TooTall

TooTall New Member

I installed a $20 bluetooth car stereo in mine. Run both power wires to the 12v source and the ground to a ground. Speaker wires to speaker and done. I mounted my speaker, a single 6x9, into the galley that folds up into a sink.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When my side kick was bord on one camping trip I came up with a "dance party". We pulled out the Bluetooth speakers turned the I phone on and put on our faviorate music. I walked around the campsite to ensure it wasnt heard too much by the neighbors and she and I just danced the day away. Everyone probably thought we were crazy, but we were having fun and even more wore her out. Of course I wore out way before her though. Most of the time we don't listen to music when camping as I love the sound of peace.

9. Hoosier Daddy

AND... if you're on a tight budget...

[​IMG]

10. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I decided that the 'boom box' was one more extra thing we didn't need to pack. I went to WallyWorld and bought a cheap Pioneer car stereo for about $60 and installed it in the pup. I ordered a pair of inexpensive 6 inch car speakers and installed them under the bench in the rear of the pup, and a pair of small marine (outdoor) speakers I installed on the door side of the pup. I used a hole saw to cut the outside speaker holes, which were located in cabinets so they didn't disturb anything inside. Though it's against the rules, I used white silicone sealant on the outdoor speakers because that is what I had handy (should use rv sealant). I hooked up the speakers so the fader control adjusted which set of speakers were being used.

In retrospect, if I were doing it all over again in another pup, I'd just install speakers inside, as the indoor speakers were always plenty loud enough to be heard outside.

For the record....... I never play my music loud enough to be heard in neighboring campsites. I do like a little background music playing when we are hanging out at the campsite..... along with the occasional weather report.

11. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Now THAT'S HiFi

12. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I use a set of speakers that I got with a computer years ago. 2 satellite speakers, one decent sized subwoofer. We will plug a portable MP3 player, or smartphone, direct to the 1/8" stereo input.

I 'mounted' the sub in the base cabinet just inside the door to the pup. There was an access door there, and I placed a little shelf atop the wheel well, and secured the cabinet there. The 2 full-range speakers get the wires fed up thru the top of the cabinet, and I just set them there, and can point them wherever I like inside the camper. And since the 'walls' are just canvas, they let plenty of sound thru. Aiming them outside does produce a bit clearer sound when listening out by the fire, etc.

I think the set is amplified to 30 watts if I recall correct, but it's plenty to shake the camper pretty well, and loud enough to enjoy outside when the conditions allow. Does require 120v power, but we pretty much only camp where we can plug in anyway.

13. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

I installed a set of 4 small 3 inch square speakers in each corner of my pup with a smaller sub in my electrical area under the bench seating ...These came from an old computer system. They have the 3.5mm plug for either mp3 player or music off your phone. They are a dime a dozen at 2nd hand shops or thrift stores....not a lot of money for some quiet music while camping......

14. cook18729

cook18729 Member

I just listen to the ringing in my ears. Continuous music!!! [:D] [}:)]

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Does nobody simply use the audio system installed in their vehicle? Usually my TV sits about 8 feet away from my PUP, and if I wanted music, it's already installed and has it's own power source. I normally don't want music, but on a rare occasion, it is where I would go first. When I am at a primitive site, my TV serves the following purposes:

Phone and tablet charger
    PUP battery charger (jumper cables and idling truck)
    Reclining EZ Chair
    Food Cache
    Audio and Video entertainment center (DVD player in dash unit)

So, don't forget your poor TV, it brings a lot to the party everywhere it goes.

16. Hoosier Daddy

Sorry...TV is off limits...I have to get out so don't kill the battery.
    #musn't-touchit

Keating likes this.
  17. ric66

ric66 New Member

I installed two marine speakers on the outside of my pup .I put a switch next to the radio to turn the outside speakers off when not needed. I have car am/fm cd player with a Ipod hook up installed in my pup camped for three days using a riding mower bat and still had juice to run the led lights inside at night. [8D]

18. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Other than storing stuff in the back, our TV is largely not used while at the campsite. We used to use it to charge phones and such but it is MUCH more convenient now that I've put 12V outlets in the popup.

And the last thing I want to do is sit in there while camping.

19. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

20. kbish

kbish New Member

Our current pup doesn't have a radio or speakers but I'm planning on putting some in soon, whenever the current snow melts. But I have spent many years working at Best Buy installing car audio and electronics (going on 14 years, only part time the last 2 years). Several years ago I had a customer come in wanting a radio and speakers installed in to his truck camper for as cheap as possible (go figure). After going over all the options he decided to go with the underdash shroud (same one that Hoosier Daddy posted earlier) and some cheap Sony speakers. The speaker cut in to the wall protrudes through to the bathroom so I made a small ABS cover for it (all his choice, not mine). Then there is a small amplified antenna that's adhered to the window under the cabinet. The customer was thrilled with the outcome, I was just happy to be doing something different.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]